1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Not bad, since it's essentially an E4300 which I paid the US equivalent of $210 for, you did well out of that!

2. greensman

greensman Regular member

Nice to hear about all the new equipment. ;) Keep 'em coming fellas..

Got some deals for the States boys. ;) All from the EGG's newsletter!!! If in the states you gotta sign up for this thing and the Buy.com one too!!! Many good deals and savings to be had every week! :D

Corsair 650 psu $74.99 after MIR and promo code>>>> (EMCAEAJCG)

WD 500 HDD $89.99 after promo code>>>> (EMCAEAJBE)

Thought that I would share the savings!!!

.....gm

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Heh, the hard drive is only $5 off, but the PSU is a superb deal.

4. greensman

greensman Regular member

Hey I know it's not 5 Quid but it's a savings you chippy little bugger! :p

I can't remember what that drive was a few months ago but I'd swear it was $109 or so. hmmmmmmmmm..... I think it's a pretty good deal tho. What do you blokes pay for a new WD 500 like that one??

Used any ASUS mobos lately sammyboy?? :p

....gm

5. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

I recieved that PSU today, just delivered an hour ago, but only got the regular discount w/out the extra $20 the promo code gives. Just my luck.
    Oh well, on the bright side, when my daughter takes a nap soon I can creep into my basement mancave and do some building!

6. greensman

greensman Regular member

DR it's a good psu however much you paid for it. :D It's nice to get the great deals but hey that's the way it goes. ;)

I so jealous btw!! The next house I have I want me a "man cave" or the ability to build a little shop in the back area of the house or yard. Of course we need 4 bedrooms so the "shop" will be an extra feature for sure. lol. Good luck with the install!!

..gm

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Cheapest retailer I can find for them, Scan, offer them for £49.99 without VAT ($99.82), £58.74 with VAT ($117.29).
    As for Asus boards, well I've had two fail, my third was working up until yesterday but now that PC refuses to communicate over network (here we go again), I'll have to have a go at fixing it some other time as it currently runs an OS I don't fully understand and therefore have difficulty diagnosing.

8. greensman

greensman Regular member

Sam that's amazing!! Almost $45 (22 Quid) more than here. Do you guys (& gals) ever get MIR or GREAT deals from the retailer?? Seems that you normally have to pay thru the nose for something there. ;)

ZoSo,
    If you answered I didn't see what you had decided to go on with on a cpu cooler. ;) Like Morty said the 120 Extreme is dang good but for the money the ACF7 is hard to beat. I know money isn't an object really for you but if you get the 120 Extreme make sure it'll fit in the case you choose. :D

...gm

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Indeed, I was shocked to hear that the Ultra 120 doesn't fit in any coolermaster cases, but when I checked the dimensions it's true...

10. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

the ultra 120 or extreme will fit in my stacker. I just need to modify or leave off the internal 4 fan side panel which is no problem since I've got a cooler master crossflow fan (exclusive only for stackers ) on the way.

I missed fedex. they tried to deliver my cpu but I was at work. gonna have to wait until tomorrow now. :(

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

:D - that's why you have the CPU delivered to you at work!

Finally fixed my crossfire setup, "fixed" it anyway, top score is now 13810. Managed to overclock the cards to 840/1251, 845/1211, a far cry from the 862/1341 that my solo card achieved, but an increase of 2300 points isn't bad I suppose. My SM3.0 is the highest of anyone's in the 3dmark chart at my LAN, but my SM2.0 is lower (presumably because of my CPU and the fact I'm using ATI hardware), and of course my CPU is miles off. Out of curiosity, I ran the Canyon flight test at default 1280x1024 no AA or AF, and then again at 2560x1600 4xAA 16xAF. Turns out I make 89fps default, and 32fps at that setting. Maxing a program like 3dmark should be far more than 3 times as demanding, so methinks I have a CPU bottleneck. Would be interesting to have a play with a Quad core, but I'll have to save up for one of those. Are there any new Quads for 775 on the horizon, or will I definitely end up buying a Q9450?

12. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I do that with almost everything else I order but tankguys makes you call the credit card company or bank (if using a bank card like I use) if the shipping address is different than the address for the card. too much of a pain in the a$$. I'll be home tomarrow. no biggie. my cooler master crossflow fan, 4 in 3 device module and another tricool fan won't be here until thursday or friday. I'd just as soon have everything here when I start putting it all togather.

13. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

yes I'm getting the Thermalright Ultra-120

someone here said it will fit in my Antec 900 right guys??

Last edited: Apr 9, 2008
  14. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

are you going with the ultra 120 or the ultra 120 extreme. if you can scratch up the extra cash I'd go with the extreme. they are both exactly the same size but the extreme cools better due to the 2 extra heat tubes.

I think it will fit into your 900. I can give you an exact height from the base of my rampage formula tomorrow evening after I get it mounted on the mobo if you like.

15. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I know someone with an Ultra 120 Extreme and an Antec 900 - It'll fit.

17. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

great, thanks Sam

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Typically I recommend most people use Ultra 120s or similar with the fan blowing towards the back of the case, with the heatsink positioned accordingly. The 200mm fan at the top of the 900, however, is so powerful that you're probably better off having the cooler face vertically, so that if you put a fan on it, it would be blowing upwards. Given the fan that's just above it though you may only need to run it passively, depending on overclocking.

19. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

@zoso
    what CPU you decide to go with? the E8400 or the X3110?

20. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

here's a couple pics pre build. the fans and hdd seagate 250gb hdd (for OS) are already mounted in the case

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll eventually put these on my profile page, along with build pics, but apparenty AD is having some server problems now and won't let me access my profile page.

I just got my cpu. don't really care for the way it was packaged. it came in an anti-static bag wrapped in bubble wrap all in a little box. no little plastic case like my other oem cpu's came in.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.