1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New #ad_buddies guide

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by Mr_Taz_UK, Feb 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr_Taz_UK

Mr_Taz_UK Regular member

mIRC and the unofficial afterdawn chatroom.

Hi folks,

Quite a few things have changed since the first guide was written. So we have decided it's time for a new one. The following guide will talk you through getting, installing and configuring mIRC for use with the unofficial afterdawn chat room. It will also provide you with a tool for, and understanding of IRC and how it works so you may also anjoy other networks and channels.

Let me start by saying that there is an alternative to using mIRC. However we recommend that you do use mIRC as this has the most funtionality and will allow you to get the most from your online chats. For those of you who do not wish to use mIRC We have a Java IRC application hosted at http://adbuddies.ccsau.com/ this can be used as follows.

Java Section - Getting Started

1)simply go to that page and click on the 'CHAT' link at the top. This will take you to a page where you can enter your login details.

2)If this is your first visit and you have not yet registered a nickname then you do NOT need a password

3)Once you have clicked 'Log in' the java application will start to load

4)You will most likely be asked to give the script permission to run. It is perfectly safe to do so. For those of you who would like more details on the script used, simply google PJIRC for that information.

Using the application once it has loaded is covered later in the Basic IRC commands section later on

mIRC Section - Installation

I'm going to assume you are using Windows 95, 98, 2000, ME, XP, or NT

1)Download mIRC version 6.16 or later from http://www.mirc.com/get.html For some reason best known to the guys at mIRC they have posted a .exe file and your browser may warn you that such files can contain malicious code. mIRC is NOT one of those files and is perfectly safe to download and use. The easiest way to download these files is to 'right click' on one of the links and choose 'save as...' Save the file to a folder that you can easily find again later.

2)Once you have downloaded the installation file simply 'double click' it to start the installation process. The installation program will then be started automatically.

[​IMG]

3)It will ask you where you want mIRC to be installed. My personal recommendation is that you make a folder c:\mIRC this is because you may wish to install one or more of the thousands of addons available for mIRC in the future. Having a folder located here, and having a folder name with no spaces in it can help make sure that your addons work properly.

[​IMG]

4)The installer will also offer to make Icons for you, Again it is my personal recommendation that you allow this so you can easily find and use your mIRC program once installed.

5)Select 'OK' and you're done! The installer will take care of all the work.

mIRC Section - Getting Started

[​IMG]

In the mIRC Options dialog (as above) you see an options tree structure. You can expand a branch of the tree (a Category) by selecting an item (Connect, IRC, Sounds,..) and clicking on the little 'plus' sign. A list of sub-items will unfold. At first only the main 'Connect' menu item seen above, has to be filled in. Select this item and enter the following information in the fields;

E-Mail: Your email address (ie, simon@hotmail.com)
    Nick Name: A one to nine character alias to use on the chat system (ie, Simo)
    Alternate: If someone else is already using the Nick Name you you've chosen on IRC, you will be known by this alternate name instead. (ie, Simo2)

To connect to the #ad_buddies chat room you will need to tell mIRC which server it needs to use. click on the 'servers' section under 'connect' and then click on the 'add' button. Enter the following details into the fields as shown.

[​IMG]

Then you might want to select the Identd sub-item and Enable the Identd Server. Ident is required on many servers and you may not be allowed to connect without it. Your User ID should already be filled-in there. Fill in with anything you like, but do not use spaces or strange characters! The System should allways be set to UNIX and the port is always port 113. 'Show Ident requests' can be left Off, 'Enable only when connecting' can be set On.

mIRC is now set up and totally ready to use. Simply go back to the server section and make sure that the network is set to 'stormchat' and the server is set to irc.stormchat.org finally, click on 'connect to server' after a few seconds (up to 20 at the most) you will see the connection data fly past, dont worry too much about this its pretty standard stuff and usually ends with something like 'this is the short message of the day'

Almost there, if you imagine a building full of chat rooms, then this would be reception. The last thing you need to do is tell mIRC which room you want to go into. you do this by typing '/join #ad_buddies' and thats it .... your in! ..... welcome :)

Joining the #ad_buddies channel can be automated from now on. Simply click on 'favourites', 'add to favourites'and in the options section check 'join on connect' .... done :)

basic IRC commands

ok, either through mIRC or using the Java app your in the channel and you want to know what commands are available to you. The parts that you need to personalise are indicated with '<' your bit here '>'

The first thing you should do is protect your username. This will ensure that your chosen name is always available to you and can not be taken by someone else (unused names are released after 21 days) you do this by typing

/msg nickserv register <password> <email_address>

this will register your chosen nickname to you.
    Next time you enter you will have to show the bot that you own that nickname. to do this you would type

/msg nickserv identify <password>

You can change your nickname at any time by typing

/nick <newnick>

dont forget to register it if you want to keep it!!

Having to identify to nickserv manually everytime you join the network can be a pain. Luckily there is a way to automate this (does not apply to Java)

1)click on tools / options
    2)click on connect / option / 'perform'
    3)check 'enable perform on connect'
    4)select the stormchat network from the dropdown menu
    5)Enter you details as shown here

[​IMG]

to join another room on the network simply type '/j #<roomname>' for example we have a room called #rss that collects and posts rss news feeds. To join this room you would type '/j #rss'

There are many other commands that we can help you with when you arrive. There is also a #help channel for those who are really stuck but dont want to ask in a chat room. Please remember however that all these services are run by volunteers and people may not be immediatly available to assit you ... be patient :)

for help with nickserv commands type /ns help in your 'status' window (you can actually do this from any window, but if you do it from your status window and make a mistake, no-one will see it ;) )

ok, i think i'm done here. If you feel i have missed anything out please PM me and i will ammend this guide.

Happy chattin

Last edited: Feb 23, 2006
  2. safc_66

safc_66 Regular member

Well done, fella :)

3. Lethal_B

Lethal_B Moderator Staff Member

Nice one Mate. Hopefully they'll be flocking in :)

4. ~RoNin~

~RoNin~ Regular member

Great Guide. I've been toying with the idea of joining but wasn't sure about how to do it. You'll be seeing me in there before too long.

5. Rikoshay

Rikoshay Regular member

Very nicely done. Answers Most of my questions.

6. Daniel_G

Daniel_G Guest

Nicely done Taz, if the newbies can't figure it out after this,
    Well need to get some more spoons ;)

7. Lethal_B

Lethal_B Moderator Staff Member

It's slipping down the list! [reqested sticky] :)

8. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

stickied

9. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

hi,

im new to the Java-based IRC channel but i have managed to log in a few times last week, i've been getting this continual error :
    pretty much all evening, just wondering if i'm doing something incorrectly as i'm new to all this "chatting" stuff~ :)

i HAVE managed to log in last week, just curious if the servers are down or i'm missing something very obvious? thanks, it was very interesting to say the least when i first signed on before, just wondering what i am doing incorrectly now as it's been giving me problems all night tonight (2/23/06 - PST west coast US) :)

docTY~

10. Mr_Taz_UK

Mr_Taz_UK Regular member

The java app is pre-configured and so you should not have to do anything other than run it and let it past your firewall. Please check your firewall settings and post the error msg you get from the Java client here.

Thnx :)

11. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

thanks Mr_Taz,

i think something was wrong w/ my internet connection yesterday, i logged in without any problems today, on the first try~ :)

thank you.

docTY~

12. Bubba1982

Bubba1982 Regular member

Nice guide Taz. Although...If you make something idiot-proof, somebody will eventually build a better idiot. hehehe

13. Mik3h

Mik3h Regular member

Aye, seen a few new faces in. Including Zeke..!

-Mike

14. Bubba1982

Bubba1982 Regular member

I wouldn't have a clue who's in there, coz atm I am forced to use the xbox to get onto the chat room and I have no nicklist.

15. Mik3h

Mik3h Regular member

? What's up with ya PC Nick?

-Mike

16. Bubba1982

Bubba1982 Regular member

My mobo died. But it's cool, my new one should be here in about a week.

17. Mik3h

Mik3h Regular member

Ah I see, good good :)

-Mike

18. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

I'll have to give it a try.

@Bubba: I'm probably that new and better idiot LOL!

19. Mik3h

Mik3h Regular member

Sure, it's nice to see new faces in here.

-Mike

20. haimback

haimback Regular member

well done t, nice guide

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.