1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need to join two VOB and construct appropriate IFO

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by richardja, Feb 21, 2006.

1. richardja

richardja Member

This started when I deleted a program I recorded on a DVD recorder (Panasonic) on a DVD RAM disc (VRO files). I used ISOBuster to see what was left and recovered two files both which came out in VOB file type each containing half of the desired program plus other stuff. THese will play directly using Power DVD, but I want to join them back as a single program. Couldn't put these into TMPGEnc Author because no IFO files. Managed to split each so I have VOB's with only the two halfs of the desired program and nothing else- again these work.
    I then tried to use IFOedit to create the necessary IFO flies and appeared to have done so successfully. However TMPEnc will not look at these, misreporting the length and size of the video files. (156 hours; 25MB).
    I note however that IFOedit is reporting the VOB content as MPEG4. I assume that is why TMPGEnc is not working to finish the jobs.
    Have I done something wrong, If there is MPEG4 content in the VOB's is there a way of making TMPGEnc Author reconstruct the program?
    Is there another piece of software I should acquire?

2. philraz

philraz Regular member

ok for starters download gspot analise the vobs and post back the results video codec audio stream etc
    I assume you want all this reconstructed as dvd ?

3. richardja

richardja Member

Yes I am trying to put the two files together as a DVD. The data is a TV concert recording and the split happens half way through a song (as would be almost inevitable)
    Tried GSpot. It reports MPEG2 33min and 25min ; 50k and 37K Frms and for both VOB's:- 9549kbps 25 Pics and Frms ps 50Flds ps
    Frame 704x576 SDE 540x576, FAR 1.222, PAR 1.091, DAR 1.333
    Audio isAC3 48000Hz 256kb/s 2 channels. Everything seems OK until you look in the "Proposed Codec Solutions and Tests" section which has for vidoe 6 separate tests; 5 show pink "fails" but one shows a pass and the video is playable (sorry inexpert enough to not know what all the detail means and whether 1 pass is what is expected). The test combination that works is:-
    Mpeg2ParserUlead.ax Mpeg2DecoderUlead.ax quartz.dll

Have continued playing with IFOedit. Have used it to successfully construct IFO's for OVB's of other "known to be working" recordings, and failed again with these two VOB's.
    It produces a very complicated file eg 8 audio channels, 27 subpictures, chpters in the hundreds. On the "overview" page of the created IFO's there is NO mention of mpeg type, I only get to MPEG4 when I look in the tables eg VMGM_MAT, VTSI_MAT
    When I look in the program chain section at all the chapters (here reported as less than 100 but still a lot, I get crazy timings- like 50 or 5 or 72 hours.

Yet despite this there must be some sense in the VOB's as PowerDVD and Nero Showtime both play them quite happily