1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

From DV to PC over USB?

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by rav0, Feb 26, 2006.

1. rav0

rav0 Member

How would I get video from my MiniDV camera onto my computer using USB?

2. SolShrike

SolShrike Member

Well, depending on if you have a 4pin style connector or not, the simplest way would probably to get a firewire-to-usb adapter. You can usually find them at your local Staples, Best Buy, Futureshop, or London Drugs.

3. stephengp

stephengp Member

Hi. First off - what camera / model do you have?
    Do you have MovieMaker on your PC?

4. rav0

rav0 Member

I think my camera has a four pin connector. Nowhere does it say that it's four pin, but looking at it that's how many I can count.

I don't have a local Staples, Best Buy, Futureshop, or London Drugs though, I doubt that there's a London Drugs outside of London, I'm in Australia. What other things do they sell at Staples/Best Buy/Futureshop/London Drugs? If I know what kind of store it is, I can probably choose another store that's similar to it.

I have a Sony DCR-TRV11E, and I have Windows Movie Maker v2.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2006
  5. stephengp

stephengp Member

Hi. Does your camera have DV IN / OUT facilities or just DV IN. I tried looking it up but couldn't find much info.

6. rav0

rav0 Member

It has DV in and out (from the same port).

7. stephengp

stephengp Member

Great. Now does your PC have a FireWire connection? Looks a little like a USB port but is rounded at one end instead of square.

8. rav0

rav0 Member

My PC doesn't have FireWire.

9. SolShrike

SolShrike Member

My apologies rav0... now that I know you're from Austrailia, I don't believe they have a Staples/Best Buy/Futureshop/London Drugs (which incidently is a canadian company... go fig) where you are. However Staples is an office supply superstore with an electronics section and the rest of them are electronic audio/video stores. Since you are in Austrailia, you might try Ted's Camera Stores, of which they have 14 locations (hopefully one in your area). They have everything for digital and SLR cameras as well as video cameras and all of the accessories needed from the looks of thier webpage (www.teds.com.au). Good luck... I hope this helps! :)

10. rav0

rav0 Member

There isn't actually one near me, but I might try Camera House, Dick Smith Electronics (like Radio Shack) or Officeworks (where I can use my $30 gift voucher).

11. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

Hey rav0, why would you want to go through USB? Your camcorder has a Firewire connection so you only need a Firewire connection on your PC and you'r all set. A Firewire PCI card for in your PC can be bought for as little as $15 or even less...
    I have never heard of a "Firewire-to-USB adapter" and I don't think they exist. Maybe you meant combo PCI cards that have both USB and Firewire ports on them. They don't convert Firewire to USB but simply have both ports on them.

12. rav0

rav0 Member

That's why I want it to go through USB, I don't have a FireWire connection on my PC.
    Same here, but in another thread stephengp mentioned using USB to transfer video from DV to a PC.

Currently I can't get any of my video onto my computer, because my computer doesn't have FireWire. It has USB though and if I could use that it'd be sweet.

13. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

Rav0, do yourself a favour: buy a Firewire PCI card. Cheap, easy to install, plug and play, perfect transfer quality.
    Anyway, I think that your camera even does not allow video transfer over USB at all. And even if it would, it would be reduced quality.

14. SolShrike

SolShrike Member

That would be the wisest thing to do. Firewire card. Oftimes, the use of adapters and gender changers lead to reduced video/audio quality and even outright failure to transfer.

15. macey

macey Guest

Hi Guys:) I have just got a firewire cable, connected to pc, and "dv" slot in my sharp vl-wd250 digital viewcam minidv.. video camera, when i open movie maker it still only reconises my webcam connected, any ideas?
    THANKS HEAPS
    Macey.

16. jumbalia

jumbalia Member

rav0, I doubt that your camera will even let you download movies via USB. The USB is intended for downloading still pictures.

Just buy a simple firewire card, they're cheap.

I went through the same issue.