1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread -3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    Gotta do everything for these Young People! LOL!! Do the math!!! It'll be about an $750 investment. Interest should be high by the time tax checks arive! LOL!! Hell, I spent less than $400 for my MB, CPU and memory for mine with a Freezer 7 Pro thrown in! That extra $350 looms large for a lot of us before then! I'll pass, and wait for the prices on the affordable Yorkfields to come down!

Best Regards,
    Russ

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

shaffaaf,
    Right now the buy-in for PC310666 and PC31333 memory is about $175+! That's for Cas 7! I paid $54 for 2x1GB 1066 memory about 3 months ago. I don't expect DDR3 to drop until after Nehalem comes out in full swing.

OCZ Reaper's have Cas 6 at 6-6-6-18 PC310666 memory for $239. All the other pairs are mostly Cas 7s with some Cas 8s as well. It's going to be a while before the memory catches up in terms of price and Latency! I'll stay with a DDR2 platform for now!

Best Regards,
    Russ

3. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

4. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

That's because you have a dual core and not exactly a high end mobo(It's still great).

For people buying Rampage Formulas and Q9450s it's not that much more.

5. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

me?

6. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

No, I meant Russ.

7. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

understood

8. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yeah, the price of your mobo was up there when it first came out.

9. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I could be wrong and probably am, but won't OC'ing be a thing of the past with the nehalem with exception to the extreme edition?

10. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

No. The X58 chipsets will support Ocing on the Nehalem. It's just that Intel has limited OCing to certain chipsets(which is Bull****).

11. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

they have said, they will not limit OCing, IICR for the 1366 socket chipsets, but for the very low end, they will and for the integrated gfx nehlam CPU they will.

12. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

looks like I'm going to be stuck in the past. I don't plan on doing another build anywhere in the near future. who knows, maybe I'll upgrade to a QX9650 (which will be slow compared to a nehalem) if the prices on quad cores hit the floor.

13. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

You guys think I should lap my northbridge heatsink?

14. greensman

greensman Regular member

Nah.... just take a big hammer to it and be done with it!!! :p

Boozer do what you will with your computer. :) It's yours remember?? And on top of that if you think it needs to be lapped then by all means have at it... it's easy!! If the GM can do it, anyone can. ;)

....gm

15. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I have a spare heatsink from my GA-P35-DS3R, I think I will experiment on that.

16. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    You are also comparing a new high end motherboard to one that cost $110 less when new 1+ years ago, and was then a mid-priced MB. Other manufacturer's have high end quality motherboards besides Asus. GigaByte, DFI, MSI, and even Asrock. Discounting the lower price of the Asrock at around $220, all the others are in about the same price range. Asus doesn't have an exclusive on high quality X48 motherboards by any means. The dual core was my choosing. I don't want a Q6600, I want at least a Q9450, that will go in my DS3R that I have now. maybe even an X48-DS4 or a DQ6 after that! All the High Quality motherboard(s) I'll ever need for a Q9450!

With the economy beginning to look like serious crap, I'll be a little cautious. With it costing $50 to $150 to fill up a vehicle with gas these days, people are driving far less and worrying more about how to pay for the next tank more! Gas averages around $4.20 right now so 30 gallons is still $125 or so. I know no one around here where I live, will be rushing out to embrace the new Nehalems! I would figure there will be a building boom some where around Income Tax Refund time!

Even by your Formula (no pun intended), it will still cost about $150 more to build a Nehalem! Barely enough money to fill the tank on the E150 9 passenger van Russell uses for work! Family people and people who have to work for a living have to consider those things! it's a matter of what's more important! Edison wants a 30% increase in the cost of electricity, and the price of the products keeps going up because of increased shipping prices due to higher fuel costs. We've had 3, just below Major banks fail in the last 6 weeks. House foreclosures are at an all time high and Mortgage Companies are dropping like flies. Given the Economic Climate here in the States, I'm betting there will be more Q9450 and up builds than there will be Nehalems! Hey! Use what you have and move up in the world for cheap, when the times right!

P.S. We had a 5.8 Earthquake this morning! Later downgraded to a 5.4! Don't you love the way they bend to the insurance companies. It saves them a ton of money by downgrading it! LOL!!

Russ

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  18. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I suppose that's true. But the point is, you're paying 150 more for VASTLY superior technology.

19. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I would use a 40 x 40 x 20mm fan instead.

GM, what did binkie do to you? click on ur link :)

20. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I plan on attaching a fan on it anyway. I suppose I will do it for novelty's sake. I've always wanted to lap a heatsink lol.

KRJ, sorry I wasn't on XBL today. I was at Wet N Wild the entire day so I was kinda tired.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.