1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Huffyuv video renders black after 40 minutes--Premier

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by kyleb2119, Mar 15, 2006.

1. kyleb2119

kyleb2119 Member

I'm capturing to the Huffyuv codec and editing in premier pro to output to mpeg2. I can only output about 40 minutes before the video renders black. I've tried different machines, versions of Premier, and versions of the Huffyuv codec, but it's always the same. Doubling my ram didn't help. Anyone know what's going on?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2006
  2. philraz

philraz Regular member

are your drives ntsc or fat 32 ?
    what software are you using to capture ?

3. kyleb2119

kyleb2119 Member

Drives are NTFS under WinXP. I'm using virtualdub to capture, but the captured AVIs behave fine (no black) until I bring them into Premier and render over 40 minutes of video with the media encoder. I thought I might get 80 minutes by going to 2 gigs of RAM but no dice. Hufyuv just seems to "give out" and render black after a while.

What I find strange is nobody else seems to run into this. The 40 minute limit thing has plagued me across multiple machines and software/codec versions. Premier+Hufyuv seems a very common workflow yet I can't find mention of this problem in web searches. Weird.

4. philraz

philraz Regular member

I dont think the problem is with the Huffyuv codec I think you will find the error is with premier or the mix of premier with Huffyuv if youve got the available hdd try converting a uncompressed avi and see what you end up with the only other issue i can think of does premier have enough hdd free space for its temp files

5. kyleb2119

kyleb2119 Member

Thanks for the help, guys. 40+ minutes uncompressed AVI is scary, but I will try another codec to see if it's really a Huffyuv issue.

One thing I should mention is that sometimes the Huffyuv captured video will go black inside Premier while I'm scrubbing the timeline. If I restart Premier I get it back until I scrub a lot again. It's probably going black after 40 minutes "worth" of scrubbing, so it's related.
    This just screams some sort of temp file or cache problem, I know, so HD space was the first thing I checked, but I always have gigs to spare. Checked my scratch disk settings too. This is all happening to Huffyuv video that's been "conformed" on import, which, if I understand it, is just preparing the audio so it can be scrubbed in the timeline. Does "conforming" mess with the video too? There's some sort of limit I'm hitting, but it seems independent of HD space or RAM, which is how I became suspicious of Huffyuv--thinking it had some weird limitation. Is there some kind of artificial limit I'm hitting that's set by Premier?