1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with ATI Catalyst Control Center

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Blaze8, Mar 25, 2006.

1. Blaze8

Blaze8 Member

Well for those of you that helped me in my other topic, thanks. The gfx card is working well. The problem is however after installing my gfx card I installed the software that came with it, ATI Catalyst Control Center. The program just doesn't load. After I turn on my computer and log-in I get 2 error messages one saying Cll.exe? can not be loaded and CLl.exe? cannot be loaded. The "?" are present because I"M not sure of the extension of these files, I will reboot and find out. Then I click ok and the computer works fine, but I still can't open up the Control center. Does anyong know what the problem is? Please help, I'm really baffled by it and it's kind of annoying.

Also since I installed this new gfx card my copmuter seems to be running more slower. The graphics are much better, but the speed seems to have slowed down. If anyone has any idea as to why, please post.

Thanks for all the help.

2. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Hi Blaze8,
    As an nVidia owner for many years, I was a bit shocked at moving into ATI-land myself - Catalyst Control Centre is certainly different than nVidia!
    It takes ~5 minutes to start your PC, and slowly-slowly things will appear in your taskbar; Norton... then LAN... then eventually ATI.
    Many tests, diagnosis and config performed, using Microsoft Net Framework, when computer (and CCC) are first started.
    Even so, your harddisk lights will still flash furiously for a while even after you have patiently waited for your PC to apparently start.
    You must uninstall all drivers before installing CCC - and ATI makes this easy with their Cat-Uninstaller tool (on the website, with the drivers).
    Then you must install new ATI drivers carefully, with AntiVirus disabled.
    Once successfully installed, you must be extremely patient and let them do their thing at startup.
    Note: you used to be able to just get drivers, and then could choose CCC if desired/required - but now all ATI require CCC, it is all that is offered for download...
    Anyway, welcome to ATI-land :^)
    Yeah I'd say that's a pretty good description ;^) LoL
    Regards

3. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

I don't run the ATI Control Center, and I don't have a problem with my 9800 Pro video card. Granted, it is a bit older technology, but I don't imagine the newer cards would have a problem running properly without Control Center.

Aside: I was really miffed when ATI quit including the Control Panel, last November. A big mistake.

BTW, I have never loaded the Control Center, because it requires NetFrame being installed. What exactly does it do? Is it anything like Control Panel?

4. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Yes Control Panel, that's it (couldn't remember :^)
    You can now get just very basic drivers only, or must go for the Catalyst Control Centre - it's the good-old Panel that's been phased out.
    Yeah I hear ya, I'm running a 256MB 9600XT - with the MS NetFrame and the full CCC.
    It's really very good though, very stable, everything works well.
    But hey, no wonder we all need 4000MHz and 2000MB memory y'know?
    The damn CCC requires more horsepower than a whole Win98 installation used to need, LoL ;^)
    L8R Bruce