1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lightscribe problems

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by SUPERMAN6, Mar 26, 2006.

1. SUPERMAN6

SUPERMAN6 Member

I just both an LG writer thats compatible with lightscribe. The problem is that when i burn lightscribe DVD's using Nero or Surething the quality comes out in normal instead of best. I choose the best quality contrast but it comes out faded. I tryed burning the same DVD on normal and best quality and they came out identical.
    Can anyone help me?

2. haza12d

haza12d Regular member

Check out www.lightscribe.com and look at their support section. They might have a tool that can change the contrast of your lightscribe image. Also it could also depend on the image you are burning on to the disk, have you tried different images?

3. SUPERMAN6

SUPERMAN6 Member

I went to lightscribe.com and downloaded the updates but it's still the same. i burned 4 different covers with lightscribe and all of them are faded.

4. haza12d

haza12d Regular member

Well I think you may have a defective drive...I'm not sure how the LG burners are when it comes to Lightscribe but I've had HP Drives and now a BenQ Drive that burns images pretty well. You might want to exchange the drive for another one and if the problem still persists you might want to just get another drive altogether. Also, what kind of media are you using to burn images on?

5. SUPERMAN6

SUPERMAN6 Member

I use Verbatim DVD+R media. I don't think the burner is Defective because it does Burn normal and draft quality(but i could be wrong).

6. haza12d

haza12d Regular member

Hrmmm...I'm using the same media and can tell the difference between the three different quality settings. Might wanna try and get an exchange for the drive...Also noticed that you've downloaded the "updates" did you also download the Extended Label Contrast Utility? I've just downloaded the utility and man my labels are coming out TOO DARK. Looks nice but takes longer to burn as well...

Last edited: Mar 26, 2006
  7. mistycat

mistycat Active member

I don't have a lightscribe writer but I have read articles where the dvd was burned twice with the same cover to remedy a faded appearence. Maybe?

8. MaxBurn

MaxBurn Regular member

It might be the way you are putting the image on. I found it doing that for me when i first used it. If you set the image as background, it comes out sharper than if you insert an image. Sounds confusing. Let me see if i can describe it with pictures. Im using the nero lightscribe stuff found in EXTRAS tab on nero startsmart;
    [​IMG]
    Clicking on that will open up another screen:
    [​IMG]

at first i was using the insert image part, and the stuff would come out like it was out of focus. Once i started using it as background it came out better. You can also change the default settings in the cover designer to always use the best quality or highest dpi, but i cant find that default setting. If you click on the lightscribe symbol in coverdesigner it pops up with this screen, and you can change it there before print. I dont have one set up right now, but i think you have to click on a more or options tab before burning and it will let you select the print dpi, and i use 800 dpi, but i think it goes higher.
    [​IMG]

and i too have heard of ppl putting the disc back in for another burn of the image. Ive never tried it as the imgage comes out ok for me.

Here is where the dpi selection was in an older version of cover designer with lightscribe.

[​IMG]

If you are already using the background properties part, then your only other hope is to burn it twice, or wait until the higher contrast media comes out. Im guessing on the image insert part, but thats all i could think of as it happened to me.

Also if you use text, it comes out hollow and faded unless you use paintfill on the text. Heres what i mean with a text filled to black paint. Its the overturned paint bucket symbol) If i would have burned it without textfill, you would have a hard time seeing it. If you look closely, the date it was burned is in the unfilled text way.

[​IMG]

if that pic is too small, ill link you to the full size scan. (its too big to fit on this forum, without throwing the whole thread text off.) The date is upside down and right below MIX. Took me awhile to figure that one out too. Maybe it would help if i read the manuals, LOL, but i like to figure it out for myself most of the time on new programs. To me, using the manual is like "crying uncle", or they win, its too complex to figure out without being guided. :) I shouldnt say that, as guides are the smart way to go, and much easier than trying to figure it out on your own.
    Also the help files are not included in the Nero downloads, and you have to go find them somewhere else in the wonderful webpage of nero. I get lost in there, and ive searched that site many times, probably more than any other website (other than the firmware page). The info is in there,, somewhere..

Here is the image contrast utility:
    http://lightscribe.com/support/index.aspx?id=306
    it looks like it gets rid of the draft mode, but maybe it works better?

[​IMG]

So, i dl'd the contrast enhancement program, and installed it.
    It looks like it added 13.5 minutes to the normal time for a best quality print. The total time for this one was 43.35 minutes and it used to be around 30 minutes before the contrast update.
    Here is what the disc image looked like before the coversion to greyscale. I got my cd image from http://www.cdcovers.cc under the DVD section. (they call the disc art CDs)

[​IMG]

and here is a scan of the resulting disc (i have an LG burner 4166B.)

[​IMG]

Its ok, but greyscale will never look as good as a full color image would.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2006
  9. SUPERMAN6

SUPERMAN6 Member

Thanx guys. I downloaded the Extended Label Contrast Utility and it works the way I want it to. Finally!!!(LOL)

Thank you everybody

10. Mr_Pink

Mr_Pink Regular member

Yeah that utility is the best. I only did 2 LS burns before I realized what I wanted was the even better contrast. It doesn't take that much longer for me either. I think originally, on 'best,' it took 23 minutes but now it's taking anywhere from 33-35 minutes.

11. herrick

herrick Regular member

Where did you down load the "Extended Label Contrast Utility" from? And what program does it work with? My images are coming out fuzzy also... I will try and use the above instructions, that leads me to another problem... I have nero 7 and have up-dated it and tried to down load the light sribe add on but it states it already there, but when I open Nero in cover design or any where else there is no sign of anything to do w/ lightscribe--PLEASE HELP

12. mistycat

mistycat Active member

The "Contrast Utility" is available here: http://lightscribe.com/support/index.aspx?id=306 and should work with any program. Lightscribe in Nero should show up in Extras. The download is available through this site but it sounds as if you already have it installed.

13. herrick

herrick Regular member

Thanks made a big differance! I wish I could get my nero 7 to work w/ light scribe? I have reinstalled 3 times, even if I try to down load the light scribe down load- it states that it is already there? BUT its not? Nero 6 will work but then I loss the multidrive to burn with...Very strange it is?