1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lightscribe wont work with nero

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by Regal2800, Mar 27, 2006.

1. Regal2800

Regal2800 Member

Ok i have two versions of nero. nero 6 and ultra and nero 7 ultra. My But not matter what i did do i cant get it to read my lightscribe. With nero 7 i got the lightscribe tab in preferences to show up, but no drive. with nero 6 nothing works. i loaded all the lightscribe drivers. i know the drive works because lightscribe works with another program (intervideo dvd creator).

2. arniebear

arniebear Active member

Last edited: Mar 27, 2006
  3. FiremanDB

FiremanDB Regular member

4. Regal2800

Regal2800 Member

I downloaded the latest verision of nero. Still no success. It shows the lightscribe tab in preferences but no drive. I also dl the latest driver from lightscribe.com nothing is fixing the problem. Any more ideas?? thanks

5. MaxBurn

MaxBurn Regular member

Try un-installing the lightscribe driver and rebooting. Nero is supposed to unlock the lightscribe feature when it sees a lightscribe capable drive. For all other drives, that feature is hidden. Un-installing the drivers should make nero see it, and windows will install the driver on reboot.
    Windows>Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager expand dvd/cdrom drives. Go to the lightscribe drive and right click on it. One selection is un-install.
    Once you reboot, windows should install the driver, and at the same time Nero should wake up and see your lightscribe. You may have to re-install Nero, but try the driver uninstall first and check to see if Nero saw it.
    Worth a try.

6. Regal2800

Regal2800 Member

I have unistalled the lightscribe drive, and rebooted no work. i have also unistalled nero several times and tried several different versions bt nothing works. Now the interesting thing is that the lightscribe works with two other laber makers so i know 100% its not my hardware. Any other ideas?? Are there a lot of other people who have just given up with nero and lightscribe? i know that its a bug in nero.

7. MaxBurn

MaxBurn Regular member

The only other thing i can think of is try doing a clean uninstall of nero, not just an add/remove program. Maybe some old setting is being kept in the registry, if you didnt use the clean tool to remove Nero.
    http://ww2.nero.com/nero7/enu/General_CleanTool.html

Thats my last shot at it, as im out of ideas. The lightscribe host software is the only other thing i can think of, and thats already been suggested.

8. FiremanDB

FiremanDB Regular member

9. MaxBurn

MaxBurn Regular member

In the middle of this thread, we ran into the same thing going on with zhelpz Nero. In that case it was a corrupt file.
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/6/241802

Here is what Nero says about lightscribe:
    and here is where that hides in Nero:
    http://www.nero.com/nero7/enu/FAQs_TOP_20.html#8

10. Regal2800

Regal2800 Member

Well i took your advice and used nero uninstall tool. uninstalled it and reinstalled it and lightscribe worked. I think in general its a nero problem. i here a lot of people having bugs with this.

11. MaxBurn

MaxBurn Regular member

@Regal2800
    Im glad you got it to work.
    Yes, Nero can have many bugs. Some are big, some are small. Some of them most ppl never find, as they dont use that part of Nero.
    We have been able to fix most of the lightscribe not being seen problems here. It can be a pain to fix, as you found out. Sometimes it is ppl using an OEM version of Nero, and they swap out the OEM Nero drive for a Lightscribe drive. OEM versions are limited, and only work for the drive that bundled Nero with it.
    Your registry was probably keeping the other non-lightscribe burner listing in there, and Nero wasnt seeing your LS drive, and not turning that part on, like it should have. Sounds like the clean tool took out that old burner listing.

They are supposed to be coming out with better/higher contrast LS media, and single colors soon if not already available.

12. Regal2800

Regal2800 Member

Ok this is very starnge. My lightscribe will only work with the download of nero site. 7.0.8.2. I have a few other version of nero but none of them work. this is very strange.