1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by armr4slEp, Mar 29, 2006.

1. armr4slEp

armr4slEp Member

ok i'm trying to ftp into my xbox i'm using a router but thats not the prob i cant ftp into that way but its a pain cuz i have to dissconnect my xbox take it out to the living room so i have a laptop so i was wondering can i use my laptop wireless conn instead i tried but no luck i'm using a static ip.. well if anyone can please let me know thanx

2. theridges

theridges Guest

yes if your laptop has an ethernet port..the you will need a cross over cable which is a special ethernet cable but it connects 2 Comps together.just get one of those and make a network on your computer then you can ftp with your laptop.

3. armr4slEp

armr4slEp Member

yes thats what i'm using a crossover cable but i still having no luck can u give me a quick run down of what i need to check thanks for the help

4. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

I still dont see how do you connect xbox to laptop? by wiresless? or crossover cable?

5. armr4slEp

armr4slEp Member

ok i'm using a crossover cable to connect to my wireless network but its not working but if i unhook it an hook it up to my router it works but its a pain cuz i have to unhook everything take it out to the living roomthanx i hope that was some help thanx for bein patient

6. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

ok I see now. I actually don't have experience with this wireless setup.
    Sorry I dont know how to help you.

7. armr4slEp

armr4slEp Member

OK WELL THANX 4 TRYING

8. theridges

theridges Guest

first of im confused you have your laptop running wirelessly....so thats were your getting your laptop internet from but to use that internet connection with the xbox you need to plug the cross over cable into the xbox.
    on your laptop go to control panel-network connections and right click on your ethernet port connection(it will be called local area connection) go to properties and check the box the says enable internet sharing.....

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2006
  9. armr4slEp

armr4slEp Member

ok i will try that and get back to you hope this works thanx 4 all ur help

10. armr4slEp

armr4slEp Member

ok when i plug in my crossover cable it says aquiring network address then fails to do so its says limited or no connectivity but i can still surf the web with my wireless connection an i don't see anything that says enable internet file sharing thanx maybe this can help my desktop ip is 192.168.2.136 default gateway is 192.168.2.1
    laptop is 192.168.2.50 default gateway is 192.168.2.1 i duno if thats going to help once again thanx

11. theridges

theridges Guest

if your running xp this is how it should look

Step 1
    Go to Control Panel on the Start Menu
    http://img89.imageshack.us/my.php?image=step18dm.jpg Click to View Pics

Step 2
    Click Network and Internet Connections
    http://img218.imageshack.us/my.php?image=step20rv.jpg

Step 3
    Click Network Connections
    http://img83.imageshack.us/my.php?image=step36sd.jpg

Step 4
    Locate Your Main Internet Connection And Cross-Over Cable Connection
    http://img223.imageshack.us/my.php?image=step44dm.jpg

Step 5
    Right Click Your Main Internet Connection And Then Click Properties
    http://img96.imageshack.us/my.php?image=step56we.jpg

Step 6
    Click the Advanced Tab then Check The Share This Internet Connection Box
    http://img96.imageshack.us/my.php?image=step69vg.jpg

If you have anymore Questions Just Ask...

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2006
  12. armr4slEp

armr4slEp Member

thanks for the screen shots doesn't get any easier than that i'll try and let you know the out come

13. armr4slEp

armr4slEp Member

well i did like u said and when i check the box a message appears so i clicked yes and then try to see if i can connect to the internet i have no connection is this because my desktop is set to obtain an ip address auto and my laptop is set to static? thanx

14. theridges

theridges Guest

Your Welcome.......

15. armr4slEp

armr4slEp Member

no that doesn't solve my problem i still can't ftp into my xbox when i do what u told me i loose my internet connection i was wondering does it have anything with my desktop using an auto ip and my laptop using a static ip now i'm using a router so this is how it looks dsl to router then router to comp then i use a network adapter card for my laptop maybe this can be a little more help thanx

16. Jigen

Jigen Regular member

If you want to connect wirelessly your xbox needs to be connected to your wireless router and properly configured. End of story.
    Using a crossover cable to connect directly from the laptop to the xbox is fine, but it's not wireless. You'll have to carry the xbox to the laptop or vice versa to run the cable everytime you want to FTP.

17. theridges

theridges Guest

Jigen,
    he can just have his laptop sitting by his xbox....thats a lot easier than moving the xbox and hooking it up each time...the cross-over cable thing works.....
    @Arm
    Go to control panel again and go to network connections create a network with the network setup wizard and see if that helps....

18. Jigen

Jigen Regular member

Oh, I know crossover connections do work. Nothing wrong with it, but it seems to me that he wants to connect wirelessly instead of hooking and unhooking stuff whenever he wants to FTP. If not, then bringing in the laptop and using a crossover is definitely a better option than unhooking the xbox from the TV and moving it around.

19. armr4slEp

armr4slEp Member

thanx guys u've really been helpful i'll keep trying ur ideas and see were it gets me thanx again

20. armr4slEp

armr4slEp Member

well guys still no luck