1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R.I.P. - The thread for dead CD-Rs

Discussion in 'CD-R(W) Media' started by cd-rw.org, May 21, 2002.

1. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

Yesterday I found one dead CD-R from my archives and then I got the idea to list the dead CD-Rs on this forum. I personally have very few of those since I storage them very carefully and I don't have many low quality discs.

The idea of this is that users may prepare for the upcoming if they notice that they have discs that have started to die out.
    -----

ATIP: 97m 26s 00f
    Disc Manufacturer: Fornet International Pte Ltd.
    Reflective layer: Dye (Long strategy; e.g. Cyanine, Azo etc.)
    Media type: CD-Recordable
    Recording Speeds: min. unknown - max. unknown
    nominal Capacity: 658.30MB (74m 56s 00f / LBA: 337050)

Cheap and old 4x speed bulk crap bought from Letsbuyit.com. These discs gave me trouble to start with. I once bought a 50-pack of these and I tossed the last 12 straight to litter bin and never looked back. Fatal read erros at the end of the disc. No visible damage or changes of any kind noticeable on the disc.

Fornet is well known for its low quality standards, so beware.

Last edited: May 21, 2002
  2. ultima

ultima Member

Do they just die out like that ? without any physical damage?

3. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

Yes they can die just like that. Reasons are ultra violet radiation, heat, unstable chemicals of the disc (meaning low quality), etc.

4. fallen_br

fallen_br Member

Suddenly, I feel like there's gonna be a lot of CDRs like this one posted here in this thread...

Samsung CDR-74 1-2x media:
    ---
    ATIP: 97m 26s 60f
    Disc Manufacturer: CMC Magnetics Corp.
    nominal Capacity: 658.89MB (75m 00s 00f / LBA: 337350)

Yes, the dreaded CMC Dark Blue! Branded Samsung, "Made in Taiwan", gold top/blue bottom.
    Mysteriously died after about 4-5 years, it's not really fully dead, but a couple files are already unreadable and the rest reads at 0.5x (Whether on AOpen 12x burner, LG 16x and 32x burners, AOpen 12x DVD-ROM and Pioneer 24x CD-ROM...), this is just one of many discs I have in this state. Burned at 2x on an HP 6020i parallel CDR...
    Worked fine at the time, but definitely NOT long-lasting.
    Never saw a drop of sunlight in its entire life, kept in a dry place.

Now for Mr. Crappy CDR #2:

ATIP: 97m 28s 22f
    Disc Manufacturer: Multi Media Masters & Machinery SA
    nominal Capacity: 653.03MB (74m 20s 01f / LBA: 334351)

Cheap, 4x bulk media, shiny top, were stored in slim jewel-cases on an appropriate stand, until, one day, they got about 10-20 minutes of sun-exposure and became 95% unreadable.
    Avoid at all costs, the media itself looks as crappy as they come.

In both cases, no visible damage on the disc, no scratches, no color alteration, or whatever.

5. ultima

ultima Member

Well all of you should watchout for Blue Dyes, from what I know it is the lowest grade of CD-R, big companies like Best buy, Verbatim have those disc, they are ones you see with $200 dollars rebate, and are way too cheap to be true.

6. Pio2001

Pio2001 Moderator Staff Member

ATIP: 97m 27s 55f
    Disc Manufacturer: Mitsui Toatsu Chemicals, Inc.
    Reflective layer: Dye (Short strategy; e.g. Phthalocyanine)
    nominal Capacity: 650.85MB (74m 05s 10f / LBA: 333235)

Silver/pthalocyanine

Several ones are dying. 4 years old. No visible damage. burned with both Yamaha 6416S and Teac 4x

You see, pthalocyanine dies too. I thought it was because of the silver, but fallen BR also reports a gold one dead.
    Are you sure it's made of gold (=dark green bottom) ? Some CDRs, like Ricoh, are printed in gold in order to make believe they are made of gold.

7. Pio2001

8. jase

jase Guest

We couldn't have a list like this without the dreaded Lead Data...

ATIP: 97m 26s 50f
    Disc Manufacturer: Lead Data Inc.
    Assumed Dye type: Cyanine (Type 0)
    nominal Capacity: 658.30MB (74m 56s 00f / LBA: 337050)

This was a Targa disc, actually just froze my PC for around 15 seconds when I put it in there, utter garbage.

I have some Ritek Targa from the time and they're fine.

9. Pio2001

Wait, did it work at the beginning, or was it bad from the start ?

Here, we must list only CDRs that worked fine, then became unreadable after a given time, right ?

10. ultima

ultima Member

Ya this topic is for CD-R that worked fine and dies out after a while mysteriously

11. fallen_br

fallen_br Member

Pio: Yes, dark green bottom, those CDRs are from before the time when dark blue bottom where available here, when I say gold/dark blue I mean it looks dark green because of the color combination of the dye and metal.

I have some old Riteks and TDKs that are also dark greens that are becoming harder to read but still "alive", i.e., perfectly readable, but shouldn't last much longer, I also don't know why they're slowly dying...

I would attribute it to the instability of cyanine in its raw form, then again, I could be wrong.

Also, I just remembered, (Can't post the ATIP because it's not with me at the moment) I also had a Mitsui Gold die on me, it was an audio disc from the beginning of the 4x era, and slowly developed lots of C2 until one day it couldn't be read properly anymore, so it's not cyanine to blame, at least not always.

Last edited: May 23, 2002
  12. Pio2001

100 years lifetime guaranteed, they say ...
    When will they release glass CDRs ?_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Pio2001[/small]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2003
  13. jase

jase Guest

> Wait, did it work at the beginning, or was it bad from the start ?

Oh yeah the Lead Data worked fine (give or take a bit of slowdown from time to time right at the end of the disc on readback) but after some months/years they have become completely unreadable.

Koch media is the same. Also Cyanine 0 (green coloured) but I don't have the ATIP as I can't get them to read *at all* now :(

14. Fede

Fede Member

I have many SONY CDQ-74CN, manufacturer MISTUI (jewel box with black plastic instead of the SONY/Taiyo Yuden white plastic), and about 30 of them are unreadable after 6 months. All the CD-R are OK and checked two times after burning, but i have verified them after some months and i find unreadable the second half of the disc (approximately from the 40 minute). I'm really disappointed because i've put many personal data on these CD-Rs trusting theirs quality :(

ATIP: 97m 27s 55f
    Disc Manufacturer: Mitsui Toatsu Chemicals, Inc.
    nominal Capacity: 650.85MB (74m 05s 10f / LBA: 333235)

Fede

Last edited: Jul 6, 2002
  15. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

Fede,

The ATIP of your Mitsuis is identical to Pio's. How old are your discs - when did you buy them?

16. Fede

Fede Member

I've buyed these CD-R on December 1999 and i've burned them during the following months (I still have some of them unburned). I have many different CD-Rs SONY branded resultin' from MITSUI but i'm not really sure about it (maybe only the stamper is from MITSUI, i don't know). After 1 year, casually, i discover i have problems reading some of these CDs so i start to verify all of them and you know yet what i discovered :(

But to say anything, i have many problems with 80% of the SONY CD-Rs i have. It's really rare to make a test and to find all the sector 100% error free :(

Fede

17. KaramBax

KaramBax Guest

I have a dying CDR. This is not surprising me because the CDR media is a cheap "no name" and is now about two and a half year old...
    Two months ago I had no problem with it. The surprising thing is- I can play it in a home cinema DVD player that does not support CDRs (For all other CDRs the player says "No disc").
    But since then the CDR becomes more and more errors and often my PC CD-ROM says "No disc".
    Here the ATIP:

ATIP: 97m 27s 28f
    Disc Manufacturer: Princo Co.
    nominal Capacity: 657.42MB (74m 50s 01f / LBA: 336601)

The CDR looks from both sides very similar- shiny silver. Only the recording side has a very light blue touch.

Since I have a CDR that can be played on my DVD player (there I can get Surround), I'm looking for such media, but I can't find... Are there no more such CDRs?

18. motocoke

motocoke Guest

These were Samsung 74min discs. Had them for a year, then one by one they began to fail completely. Total Crap !

ATIP: 97m 22s 18f
    Disc Manufacturer: Seantram Technology Inc.
    nominal Capacity: 657.42MB (74m 50s 01f / LBA: 336601)

http://www.cdmediaworld.com/hardware/cdrom/images/samsung_cd-r74_front.jpg

http://www.cdmediaworld.com/hardware/cdrom/images/samsung_cd-r74_top.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2002
  19. Pio2001

Fede,
    It is advised not to store blank CDRs, but to burn them at once. I don't know why.

Anyway I've got an imortant remark about those Mitsuis :

They are all "Mitsui Media" (green logo) burned with a Yamaha 6416S during 1999 or 2000.

But I've got older "Mitsui SG" (not "media"), 1997-1998, burned with a 4x Teac, that are all (at least two or three of them) still perfect !

Same symptom as you with Mitsui Media : the last tracks only are unreadable.
    And with some Fnac Silver, or gold, don't remember (can't check ATIP with that stubborn Yamaha CRW3200 of mine), the last tracks were unreadable once burned !
    Would it be the burner ?

However, it is well known that CDRs become unreadable starting from the end, sometimes with the beginning.

Besides, HiSpace (Grand Advance tech) and Ricoh burned the same year on the Yamaha 6416S are still perfect (but not the Traxdata !)

Which burner do you have, Fede ?
    Either it's the burner that was crappy, either it's the Mitsui Media alone (consumer series), and not the Mitsui SG (professional series), for example.

Unfortunately, I never burned any Mitsui Media with another burner.

20. Pio2001

Just found another HP made by Mitsui in perfect state among my CDRs.
    Burned no more than a few monthes (if not several weeks) after I couldn't find the fragile Mitsui Media Golden Dye anymore.

Another clue in favor of a bad bunch of Mitsuis.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2002