1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Neph's POLITE Gun Debate

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by Nephilim, Apr 4, 2006.

1. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

In order to keep my other thread fun and happy we'll carry on any sort of debate in this one. It's an important issue that many feel strongly about.

Let's keep this intelligent and polite folks. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and view on things so personal attacks will not be tolerated. If you can't argue intelligently then don't argue at all!

Last edited: Apr 6, 2006
  2. jazo123

jazo123 Guest

He said "antigun" not antique gun, lol

3. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Gun's just a tool, I've got nothing against guns. I've done some target shooting, it's great.
    But I'm quite happy to live in Canada, where all rifles and shotguns are registered (like a car, same deal) and of course handguns are illegal.
    Do you know, my government has managed to spend ~$1 billion dollars registering guns? >rolling eyes< Outrageous ineptitude, LoL :^)
    But I still think it's a good idea... apparently the national gun database gets ~5000 hits/day, from working cops alone.
    All the guns come up from USA though; it's a real problem.
    We get 'em back though with B.C. Bud ;^)
    L8R

Last edited: Apr 4, 2006
  4. jazo123

jazo123 Guest

LOL i never knew that

5. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@catfreak

LMFAO-so funny I'm with you I like antique guns. A third thread needs to be started

6. jazo123

jazo123 Guest

It's up to you to start it, garmoon, lol

7. catfreak

catfreak Active member

... Para-Ordinance is an extremely large pistol manufacturer located in Canada ... I also have a 9mm Browning pistol that was made in Montreal back in 2001 ...

8. Buik

Buik Regular member

Catfreak,

can you at least add an antique M203 to that baby? Ya know, bring it up closer to Space Marine standards in the "Alien" episodes?

TC

9. catfreak

catfreak Active member

must be that southwestern accent that Nephilim has ...

sorry. but I'm not into grenades ...

10. jazo123

jazo123 Guest

LMAO catfreak

11. Lethal_B

Lethal_B Moderator Staff Member

Neph, I don't think you have to justify opening a seperate thread for the whingers. Guns don't kill people, idiots who abuse them do -- same goes for plastic bags..

12. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Ah well, what the hell. I've got to disagree with Lethal (I think this is a first Lethal LOL!) But I haven't been ganged-up on in ages so I'll give it a whirl. You see, I come from Philadelphia...we have the dubious honor of having more handgun murders than anywhere else in our second amendment loving country. Ironically, that amendment was written not two blocks from where I'm typing these words because the Brits had forbidden firearms (wisely so under the circumstances, I suspect). I disagree with Lethal because most of the guns seized on the streets of this rather dangerous city were stolen from people who bought them legitimately. The real irony is that I have, myself, considered getting a handgun many times as many of my friends have. Philly is a seriously crime ridden city...tons of firearms everywhere. It is so bad that many people, many my friends, walk around armed for the sake of protection from the bad guys with fire arms....a veritable wild west right here in the founding city of our great US. It is ironic that so many of us who are PRO gun control walk about armed for lack of alternative.

I work in a govt office building; the city office for gun licenses is upstairs...when I stand in the front having a smoke, I must get asked a dozen time a day for that particular office...hell, in this city, they'll give a damn gun to anyone! A couple of years ago, the FBI stormed the building in this sting operation...the gun licensing dept had been caught selling licenses to folks with criminal histories. Just can't win, I guess.

Anyway, I disagree with Lethal because, in Philadelphia anyway, the majority of guns on the street were once the property of the, so called, "responsible" gun owner.

I thought, just for the hell of it, that I'd add another tid-bit of irony; when I was a kid, I had a "spudgun" that used real potatos; they're illegal now because they caused injury LOL!! They were deemed weapons of mashed destruction.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2006
  13. Lethal_B

Lethal_B Moderator Staff Member

gerry, hey buddy.

I respect your point of view, as you live in an area where gun-crime activity is rife, & am not being ignorant towards the dangers of firearm abuse, but that's what it is -- abuse.

Aye, but the people stealing them are the main problem, not the guns themselves. Guns are fine if used legitimately. Hence the reason I don't feel discussing them should warrant an outburst from the anti-gun brigade.

Then again, gun crime is virtually non-existent in my area, so I can see how our different backgrounds influence our opinions. ;-)

Take care gerry.

14. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

gerry i assume your against the right to bear arms? and whats your anwser to ban all guns? and do you think if we ban all guns the bad guys are just going to turn them in?lol.

its a fact that the states with the strictest guns laws have the highest crime rate and vice verse the states with the least amount of gun laws have the lowest

15. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@lethal...Oh, my opinion (even for me) isn't written in stone but, I suppose, is more of a statement of frustration. It's rather like the ol' abortion fight, or Bush's spying thing, you know, an issue where there are valid and sound arguements to be made on both sides of the issue. I'm an ex marine, I use to love target shooting (and really wasn't bad) etc. When I lived in new england where crime wasn't a problem, I felt as you do. When I moved to Philly, the "reality" of my enviornment changed dramatically so I guess my opinions changed in kind. So too, because of my job (I'm a social worker) I'm constantly barraged with gun crimes of all sorts...robberies, rapes, drive by shooting, drug related hits...all sorts. I've been exposed to this stuff daily for the last 14 years so I'm apt to rather opinionated on the subject LOL! Admittedly, I vacillate...I know many guys with weapons for self protection and have considered it myself; but then I'll be having a smoke in the front of the building and this guy comes up stoned out of his head and with tons of attitude and asks where the office is for gun permits ... I squirm at the thought of this guy having a weapon. Part of me says I should have a weapon like my friends just to protect myself while another part of me says no one should have one. How's that for a truly nut-case answer LOL! ... Gerry

16. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@Ireland....have no fear, my friend, there's no flamin' in the makin' (nor have I ever heard of soap wrestling but it sounds intriguing!)

@aabbccdd: see my response to Lethal LOL! I'm admittedly and amazingly schitzoid on the issue!

17. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

right on gerry at least your honest about it ,i guess in a perfect world we would not need guns ,other than heaven being perfect but thats not possible here on earth

18. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@aabbccdd

I'm with you on the right to bear arms.I have em but I haven't used them lately. I inherited most but I did grow up shooting 22s at watermoccasins and tin cans. But as for states with the laxest gun laws having least amount of crime; one definite exception is here in Louisiana. ANYONE and EVERYONE has guns, most unregistered. We have a high crime rate. Texas is even worse. I feel anyone who wants to own a weapon should be able. But should be responsible enough to use it properly. And I'm not trying cause any arguments. Since I like guns I will have to go to the "I Love Guns" thread and lurk in here.

19. Buik

Buik Regular member

An "Armed Society" is a "Polite Society". Especially when it comes to concealed carry permits. Ya never know (if you are a perp) if you might be out gunned.

TC

20. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

[Since this has turned into somewhat of a debate I'll reword the thread title and my thoughts in my first post to reflect the direction this thrread is going.]

Statistically the cities with the most stringent guns laws also have some of the highest gun murders. DC is a great example - it's practically illegal to own a handgun there yet they also place in the top five for the most gun muders in the US every year. If banning guns works then how does one explain DC?

Buik, you hit the nail on the head my friend.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2006