1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xvid playback in stanadalone...

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by inthefade, Apr 5, 2006.

1. inthefade

inthefade Member

My friend has a Sony DAV-DZ 700FW dvd player, which is divx/xvid compatible., I burnt a few xvid vids for him straight to a disc, but they will not play on his dvd plyer. It just gives him data error, . I am just wondering did i burn them the wrong way, as in when i was using nero, it asked did i want burn multisession or no multisession.
    I picked to burn multisession (although it did say that some dvd rom drives would not be able to play it).
    Would burning without multisession, allow the xvid files play in the standalone dvd player?

2. BlinkN

BlinkN Regular member

Most newer model DVD players should be able to play multisession disc but for what you're dealing with isn't the problem. I looked up the model of your friends DVD player and it does support DivX but not XivD. Two different things.

If you really want to get XivD videos to play on a DivX certified player, follow these steps.

1. Download the program AVI FourCC Changer.

http://www.divx-digest.com/software/avifourcc.html

2. Run the program.

3. Click the yellow folder and locate the XivD video you want to open.

4. You should see the following information in the two box above. It will look like this or close to it.

[bold]FourCC Description Code: XVID[/bold]
    [bold]FourCC Used Codec: XVID[/bold]

5. We're going to change both those boxes with two different codes by typing in the following. Don't forget to cap the letters.

[bold]FourCC Description Code: DIVX[/bold]
    [bold]FourCC Used Codec: DX50[/bold]

6. Apply the changes.

7. Burn the video again. You could use multisession but you're better off not using it.

All you're doing is tricking the DVD player into thinking it's DivX video when really it's an XivD video.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2006
  3. inthefade

inthefade Member

Thanks for the very informative reply... I will try this method out and see how i get on,,
    Again thanks...

4. meetvicky

meetvicky Member

Hey,
    I am plannin to buy sony DAV-DZ120K which is DivX compatible. I checked the Xvid cd in the shop it showed the same Data error. I just wanna know wats that DX50 in FourCC Used Codec ? is it always the same or it differs ?If so Dependin on wat ? And I hope it does not effect the Quality of the picture. Plz reply....
    Thanx Neways.
    Bbye

5. BlinkN

BlinkN Regular member

AVI files has a header code usually referred to as [bold]fourcc[/bold]. What that does is tells a player what codec (compressor/decompresser) to use to play the video. AVI acts as container for whatever codec you use with the avi file such as DivX or XviD. Even though some DVD players are DivX certified, doesn't mean it will play XviD videos unless noted otherwise in the manual that it plays XviD videos. If not, then DivX is all you can play.

Although XivD and DivX falls under the same compliance of MPEG-4 standards (video wise), they are programed differently. What I was telling the other person to do is change the header code of his XviD (XVID) to DivX (DX50) so he can play his XviD video on his DVD player. This doesn't affect the quality of the video or change the video in anyway. It's just tricking the DivX certified DVD player into thinking it's DivX because the built-in decoder will only recognize the fourcc header of DX50.

[bold]Codes[/bold]
    DX50 = DivX
    XVID = XviD

I looked up the model of the DVD that you plan on buying meetvicky, and looks to me that it only supports DivX. You would have to follow the same step listed above in order to play XviD videos.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2006
  6. meetvicky

meetvicky Member

thanx mate,
    i made that changes and checked ITS WAS WORKING !!!!!
    well the description of sony DAV-DZ120K says "Some disc may not be playbacked " which disc are they referin to ? What say shud i go for this model or something else ? my budget is around 17k.
    What say ?

thanx neways.
    bbye

7. BlinkN

BlinkN Regular member

meetvicky, my only guess is that it won't play karaoke cds and/or dvd audio disc. That's just a guess and could be wrong. Every model varies on what it can or can't do.

As for what you're looking for in a dvd system, it's really a personal choice. If you feel that's the system you want, go for it. If not, keep looking until you find the right system that fits your needs.

:)