BenQ 1650 & 1655 NEW f/w.

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by zebadee, Apr 7, 2006.

1. zebadee

zebadee Regular member

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey zeb, that 1650 fw update isn't even on my benq site. My site still lists BCDC. I'll keep track of this site to dl that BCFC update this weekend. I've got thunderstorms rolling in, UGGH!

I've been getting a huge spike at the 2 gb mark using dvdinfopro and nerospeed test from all my benq 1650 backups. Both plus/dash ty/verbs/and sony. Maybe that update will fix that spike.

Playback is perfect,just gets my goat when I see that huge/wide spike at that 2 gb mark on every scan I have performed..

3. zebadee

zebadee Regular member

Last edited: Apr 7, 2006
  4. catfreak

catfreak Active member

@ saugmon .. I cross=flashed my DW1655 to a DW1650 and I'm running f/w BCDC .. I haven't been getting that 2GB spike that you're talking about ... I don't think that it's a firmware problem ...

You must be getting the storm we had blow through here (Central Indiana) earlier today ...

Last edited: Apr 7, 2006
  5. delateur

delateur Regular member

Well, in reading that cdfreaks thread, I'm really not sure if I want to update to the new firmware or not... It doesn't seem to be making any real improvements so far on the scans using quality media... Am I misinterpreting? Should we be making the "upgrade?"

6. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Here's a scan of Yuden000-T02 burned at 4x on my benq 1650:

[​IMG]

Everyone of my scans had a similar spike at that 2 gb mark!

I'll hold off on the fw update.

Edit: Wrong pic,that pic I edited was one of the very few scans without that spike.

Here's a dash 16x verb,and very similar to my sonyD21's as well:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2006
  7. zebadee

zebadee Regular member

Hi,
    @saugmon.
    1st. All my scans are @ 8X (or 8XP-CAV if using CD/DVDSpeed 4.50). Another forum appears to recognise this as the standard for comparing scans. I don't know what results you get @ this speed. 2nd. When having problems with a particilar f/w, I've found crossflashing can sometimes have an effect. In this case crossflash to Philips 1660, then back to BenQ 1650. This will of course clear your learned memory as well as 'voiding warranty'. If this seems extreme then try just downloading/reflashing the same f/w(BCDC).
    BTW I don't have any TY media to make a comparison.

8. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

hmmm..interesting read about the 1650 new firmware, i think i'm going to hold off on it too~ :) unless our good buddy zebadee comes back to report a CONCLUSIVE positive thing regarding the new firmware~ :)

i always leave it up to the cdfreaks guys to test firmware, as that is NOT my "cup of tea", good thing there are guys that really enjoy and are really good at that kinda stuff over at the cdfreaks~ :)

@saugmon

that 2gb spike is unusual, as i don't get that on any of my scans...i KNOW from the other benq1650 thread that we (meaning you and i) got the SAME drive from ncix, same manufacturer date, probably same "batch" too~ :)

also, i know that you burn discs fast, much like both catfreak and i do using the benq drives, and in your last post you said you burned that YUDEN000T02 @4x? why the drop in speed? or were you burnin @4x "for old time sake?" LOL j/k buddy~ :)

is this 2gb "spike" apparent in ALL your media? regardless of burn speed? also regardless of media type/brand? reason i ask is that if you get this wide spike on ALL media types/formats/burn speeds, good chance that your drive's lens is just more sensitive when scanning at that mark...i dunno? if this is widespread on ALL your scans, firmware most likely will not resolve this, it's your drive's scanning laser (which is weird since it's always at that same position on the scans...) :)

maybe your particular drive has this weird "irregularity" around the 2gb mark during scans? i'm just guessing here for possible solutions...interesting indeed!

docTY~

9. andyp95

andyp95 Member

10. delateur

delateur Regular member

That spike issue is interesting. I actually saw a similar kind of spike (not nearly as pronounced) at just over the 2GB mark burning a 8x TY DVD+R with my Lite-On, but I did not notice the spike burning the same media and files on my Benq... This was using the latest "experimental" firmware for the 1650. I've decided to crossflash back to my drive's firmware (DW1655/BCGB), however, just in case there are some subtle differences that drive-specific firmware will be necessary to take advantage of.

@andyp95: Yes, that's the latest firmware for the 1655 at the moment. I haven't used it myself, but I used the 1650's equivalent and it seems to be fine. Time will tell... That version is not yet "official," however. The official release is here:
    http://www.benq-eu.com/ServiceAndSupport/downloads/downloads.cfm?product=839&type=B

That is the firmware that will probably come pre-installed on your drive, anyway, though.

11. zebadee

zebadee Regular member

Hi,
    The release of new f/w for 1650. BCFC is it worth it? Having spent most of the day testing, I would say yes. However there are reservations. Like always whether this is for you depends mainly on media, but system/software etc also contribute. For those who don't want to 'mess about' crossflashing/backflashing etc, it's probably best left till f/w is universally available (possibly with some last minute tweak). Virtually all my media is MCC (I get this @a very good price buying direct from UK importer.Sorry can't pass this on. Part of the 'deal') So if your using predominately 16x media & in particular either MCC 03RG20 or MCC 004. Then not only is the 1650/1655 the drive for you. But the latest f/w BCFC is almost inevetable. For those who like to see results. Check out
    http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=162151&page=13#post1375979
    Posts #307 & 308 are my final entry at present. (There may be more, however currently with both media QS is 98/99% jitter not exceding 10% PIF less than 10 max only PIE remains high.[This applies more to MCC 03RG20 & may well be media related])
    Some crossflashing was involved, mainly to try & cure read drop offs when scanning. Which it did regarding 8X, but no affect on 8XP-CAV. This is more irritating than of any real problem. So if you've another drive to use as a scanner, or not bothered by dips (this just means drive takes longer completing scan). Then crossflashing isn't really gonna benefit you.Plus it's not 100% certain that it would work for you anyway.

BTW A better link for f/w (global release) is
    http://support.benq.com/front/BenqM...language=all&flag=1&GenMenu=&RootId=undefined

12. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Yuden000-T02 seems to be the only media with a lot less spiking at 2.0 gb area.

Here's an 8x burn:

[​IMG]

Here's a 4x burn just to get a sample of what it looks like:

[​IMG]

I've still got some toying around to do on some Ritek-R03/Ty-g02 and Verbatim dash 16x.

13. delateur

delateur Regular member

Well, that latest 1655 firmware is burning my Sony D21's pretty nicely at 8x, so far. I'm getting 96% quality with some fairly consistent, but low, PIFs. This is using the BCGB firmware. I'm going to stick with the 1655 firmware from now on, as I really can't see much of a difference, and I may just want to play with Lightscribe one of these days. Once I have something worth burning to a TY, I'll see how the 1655's new firmware does on it.

14. bogster

bogster Member

I'm sorry if this is a bit off topic (please point me in the right direction if it is).

I just bought a BenQ DW1650 bulk, not retail (no BenQ label on the front tray) and wanted to upgrade the firmware (currently BCAC). You guys are surely more knowledgeable than me and I would like to ask you whether upgrading the firmware on my bulk drive can "break" it. A friend told me that upgrading the firmware on a bulk (as in not retail) dw1650 will make it break/corrupt most of the subsequent recordings and that firmware upgrades are only safe on retail versions of the drive ...

Is that true? Should I send this one back and get a retail instead or can I upgrade the firmware on this bulk one with no worries?

Thanks

Last edited: Apr 11, 2006
  15. catfreak

catfreak Active member

I purchased an OEM (bulk) BenQ DW1640 and a DW1655 .. I updated the firmware several times on the DW1640 and cross-flashed the DW1655 to the DW1650 ... no problems .. Some DVD writers do have a problem with OEM/firmware but not BenQ ...

16. bogster

bogster Member

@catfreak: thanks :)

anyone else? is there any unwritten rule that retail benq 1640/1650 drives are much better supported when it comes to firmware upgrades?

17. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

I believe you got the retail drive,but you bought it as an OEM.Drive only/no cables/programs/or even the original box.

Mine does not say BenQ on the front. The tray says: Solidburn,and the back of the drive says Benq 1650. You also have the same fw version that mine came with. I updated mine as soon as I installed it. Here's the link:

http://support.benq.com/front/BenqM...langu=null&ops=null&GenMenu=&RootId=undefined

Download the zip file-remember where it goes. I usually create a folder and naming it: Benq BCDC that way I can easily find it later.

Close everything out/make sure no disc is inserted into that 1650/storms are a brewing and then open up that zip folder and follow the installation directions.

Benq 1650 is suppose to booktype right out of the box. I've helped other members out whose 1650 would not booktype.The latest fw update should,if not-use qsuite 2.0 to do that job and other things.

I know the benq 1620 has a Bulk and a Retail fw versions. B7V9 for Bulk and G7V9 for retail. I've got 2 of the bulks,and they are sweet drives.

Edit: I don't know about the 1640 and 1650 with different fw version performance,only time will tell.

But I can tell you the Benq 1620 performed great with the original B7C9 fw. I updated it from that version to B7V9 for qsuite 2.0 to work on it. Same great performance even with all those updates that I held out on.

18. bogster

bogster Member

Thanks saugmon. AFAIK, the retail 1650 version has a different face and the BenQ label appears on it in the upper left corner. The OEM still has the BenQ label on its back so it's not a no-name or a different brand. I too updated the firmware as soon as I installed the drive.

My concern was regarding to firmware upgrades done on OEM drives that supposedly may start corrupting/frying discs. I am beginning to think my friend who warned me about that had just been unlucky with his 1640/1650 OEM and that he is a pretty isolated case.

If there is no one that can "confirm" such ugly behavior with firmware upgrades on BenQ OEM drives then I think I'm going to keep this 1650 OEM I just got today (which I just flashed to BCFC :p, thanks to zebadee)

19. delateur

delateur Regular member

I've flashed my OEM Benq DW1655 about four times so far, including a crossflash to DW1650 and back, and it's burned like a champ each and every time. I've noticed no issues with the quality of my burns, each and every one has been consistent with the quality of the media I've used (Verbatim, TY, and Sony), and no coasters. I don't see you having any issues flashing your firmware, as I've done the same with my OEM Lite-On 1693S at least half a dozen or more times, and it's still going strong.

20. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

i'd burnt a Yuden000T03 on my new 1650, was a bit unsure of the booktype setting (in Nero, and the booktype setting in Nero is set to automatic) it says 'booktype set to current recorder setting' where on other dvd burners i've had it would say 'set to dvd-rom'. ah well i suppose i gotta get used to it, and i checked the burnt disc and it was booktyped ok. i've applied the BCFC firmware and same happened, will have to have a mess with qsuite again i guess