1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Change XP SP2 CD-Key?

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by axlman, Apr 10, 2006.

1. axlman

axlman Regular member

I work for a small system builder and sometimes I have to do what we call a Cross-Ship" basically, depending on the customer and system, etc. I sometimes just send the customer a new system before I get back the defective system, so when I do this, I never tell the customer to send back their OS CD and CD key. I just keep the OS here at the office and put it with the system old system when I get it back. So this way, the customer has the key that they originaly purchased. Saves alot of xtra paper work etc.

Anyway, I've searched Google, and found nothing. I'm looking for a way to beable to change the CD-Key on a Win XP Pro w/SP2 system.

I've found an article on MS's site but it only pertains to XP w/SP1, so I've tried it anyway and it still did not work. I've tried the cd key changers that are online but they don't work either. Activation just keeps telling me that the current key is already activated. I can not get to a point where it allows me to telephone a rep. so I can change they key. We only supply valid keys and we do not use pirated copies, etc.

I'm hoping that maybe someone knows how to change the CD-Key for XP SP2.
    It would save me a lot of time because right now the only way for me to use the CD-Key that the customer bought/got with the original system is to format and reload the OS.

Thanks for any help!

2. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

3. axlman

axlman Regular member

I'm not looking for a way to find the key, I need a way to change the key so I don't have to reload the system. Does the keychanger work for XP SP2?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2006
  4. Jizmak

Jizmak Regular member

Thanks Morph416
    You should apolagize axlman,
    I have been looking for a similar program myself
    Cheers and thanks again.
    I think this feature is on on the newest version though.
    I will link to this version worked for me.

http://forums.winkeyfinder.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=1

Here are some key features of "WinKeyFinder":

· View/change XP Key
    · View/Change MS office Key
    · View Win98 Key
    · view Win2000 Key
    · View .Net Key
    · View Win2003 Key
    · Back up WinXP Activation
    · Save Your Product Key By Encrypting It

5. axlman

axlman Regular member

Apologize? For what? I'm thankful for the reply, but a key finder is not what I'm looking for. I've tried that program before, it did not work. Not for SP2 at least!

6. donewell

donewell Regular member

Hi. Don't know if this is what you want but techrepublic.com has an artical in their site on the left side under most popular articals.
    How to change product key in xp

7. axlman

axlman Regular member

Ok, I'll take a look. Thanks :)

8. donewell

donewell Regular member

Sorry it's on the right side

9. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Heres a link:

http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml

to a tool called KeyFinder by some magicaljellybean software person. I know (by reading the previous posts) that you do not want to FIND the key you want to CHANGE the key. And if I am thinking correctly in this FREE tool there is an option to do just that. Hope this helps. Once again this FREE tool finds the key AND lets you change it.

10. axlman

axlman Regular member

Ok, I'll try that one again, I think I've tried it before though. Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to post a reply so far!

11. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

No apologies necessary. The problem with changing keys is that the key type must match the installation type. Corp keys to corp keys, retail to retail...OEM to OEM..etc. You cannot change an OEM installation to a retail, or change a pirated corp key to a purchased retail key. WinKey Finder won't do that either.

I have successfully used the program to replace pirated keys on customers comps by having them buy a key from MS. Otherwise it costs them a completely new installation with their key.

@Pea

WinKey Finder does change keys!
    [​IMG]

12. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

@Morph416
    I didnt mean to say that none of the software other people mentioned wont work I was just giving axlman another option. Just a little mix-up :)

13. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

The more the merrier, I agree!

The problem he was most likely facing isn't SP2, as I use it on SP2, I won't install Windows on a machine with anything less than that...but rather the type of key he was trying to change it to.

14. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

LOL Tru'Dat :p - PeaInAPod

15. axlman

axlman Regular member

Ok, Well the thing here is that I'm not worried about any kind of keys.! :) I really am using legit keys and OEM CD Packs for these systems. Just trying to save time so I don't have to reload the syste, just to change the key.
    :)

16. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

Oy vey....Axlman, I think you missed the entire point I was making.

Key changers like WinKey Finder, cannot and WILL NOT change a key from one version to another. They must be the same. This doesn't have anything to do with the keys you use, but the keys they used.

For example. A customer comes into your shop needing a key change. They give you a "retail" key...a key type only found when purchasing XP off the shelf at a local software store/vendor. However, the customer previously used a corporate key/CD to install XP to their system. How do you know? Cuz there won't be any activation requirements. Now, you try using WinKey Finder only to find out that it will say "Key cannot be changed".

A corporate installation is different than a retail, oem or upgrade install as it doesn't require activation and bypasses certain files during setup. There are also significant registry differences. WinKey Finder must be able to match those registry entries to the key in order for the change to work. This also goes for the basic XP key change solution provided by Microsoft.

In other words, you cannot use the OEM keys you have to change their corporate, retail or upgrade keys.

However, it may be possible to use the OEM CD to do a repair installation and use the OEM key.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2006
  17. axlman

axlman Regular member

Well, Thank you Morph416.

I just got to work and put that Keyfinder to work and it worked great! Thanks again for all your help!

18. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

Anytime my friend, anytime.

19. axlman

axlman Regular member

Hey Morph,

Would you happen to know if this changer also works for Windows 2003 Server with and without SP1? If it does not, do you know of one that does?

Thanks

20. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

It supports both versions.