1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Convert AVI, Xvid, DivX to DVD

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by koola, Nov 15, 2003.

1. knfusd

knfusd Regular member

I have a problem I'd like to see if anyone can help me with. I have some avi files that I would like to put on a dvd. I'm using dvd flick as the converter. it's fairly simple to use and haven't had much issues using it. my problem is the files i want to convert are of a compilation and when I try to put more than one title on a disk it's has no more room because each avi file has the total time of the disk it was taken from instead of the total time of length of the file itself.I have 8 avi files. Each file is in approximate length of 30 to 45 minutes in length. My question is there any way to change the avi files so that the correct time length is on the files itself so that I dont have to use 10 disks to put the files on dvd? If I've posted in the wrong area could a moderator please place this post in the correct area please. Thanks for any and all responses!!

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  2. nweissma

nweissma Member

I have an embarrassingly dumb question.. your indulgence is appreciated!

Why does one want to convert .avi to dvd?

Also, please recommend a free mpeg-2 viewer.

3. bilvihur

bilvihur Member

We convert AVI files to DVD format so they can be burned onto DVD disks, and played on a home DVD player. VLC Media Player is the best free viewer around.

4. softimage

softimage Member

I read the thread from the first to the last.
    first the people talk about is the "super dvd creator", and then about 1 year later is the "convertxtodvd", and then it is the tmpenc , and avi2dvd ,etc.
    most popular topic is the "DVD menu", "add dvd subtitle","convert avi to dvd" etc. so why not try the above softwares one by one ?

5. 023ivy

023ivy Guest

SPAM removed

"023ivy (account created on 2 Jul, 2009) has used same IP address as nathan023 (banned on 1 Jul, 2009)"

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2009
  6. lapinou

lapinou Member

why people would want to convert avi or divx or mkv or blu-ray to DVD ?
    well.. because anyone has at least a DVD player, and not all DVD player reads correctly Divx.
    If you want to make a backup copy of a Blu-ray, because of the cost, it is smarter to convert it to DVD because you can give it away easily.
    Once you have converted to DVD, you can also enjoy the DVD menu, which is not possible with divx, or at least the result will depends on the dvd player / divx player you have.
    Of course, you can use a computer to read everything on a TV, but that's not the case for all users.
    and yes. I think the best tool for that is still ConvertXtoDVD , because they keep the assertion to convert ONLY to DVD ( Blu-ray will be done with another application according VSO software, the publisher )

7. dasli

dasli Guest

SPAM removed

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2009
  8. littlepho

littlepho Guest

SPAM removed

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2010
  9. lozu

lozu Member

The best is to use Super DVD Creator.
    Version 7 only deal with MPEG, version 8, 9 deals with converting to VOB.

Features:
    Add a play button with img or bk.
    Convert any video format into vob as chapter.

That what I use.

10. bilvihur

bilvihur Member

I still maintain that DVDFlick is the best FREE AVI to DVD appl.

11. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

That's because IT IS!

12. renerott

renerott Member

You are right, DVDFlick is the best, even if sometimes i use other converters like Dvdtivi lite

13. katpeeler

katpeeler Member

Ok, I downloaded DVDFlick and followed instructions. I chose not to burn the dvd after completion. When I go to where my files are I find a bunch of different folders, seems everything is split up. I dont see any single video/audio file so I can burn. Any suggestions??

14. mistycat

mistycat Active member

You should have 2 folders, an empty AUDIO_TS and a VIDEO_TS with your movie in several vobs and other items. Use ImgBurn (free) to burn the VIDEO_TS folder.

15. katpeeler

katpeeler Member

Thats the thing, I dont have a audio ts or video ts folders. Every folder has data of some sort in it. What I have done is take 5 one hour avi's and converted them. Maybe I messed up in the direction proccess. Or is there a better program to put several short avi videos on one dvd?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  16. mistycat

mistycat Active member

I have never used DVD Flick so not sure why this happening, maybe a setting. Never used this either but heard good of it, Avs2DVD: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/AVStoDVD Like said, ConvertXtoDVD but it isn't free. Edit: 5 hours on one DVD 5 is a lot, maybe that's the problem and quality will be terrible as well, try 3 hours at most unless 1 hour episodes and even then, 4 (I'd go 3 and 2 episodes), course that's me.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  17. katpeeler

katpeeler Member

Well the dvd Im trying to burn to is a dual layer so I would think it was enough space. Im new to this so didnt know if I wanted to buy something right now or not. I will look I will try avstodvd with a single movie first..thanx

18. katpeeler

katpeeler Member

Which video ts folder do I want to use to burn??

19. mistycat

mistycat Active member

You should only have one VIDEO_TS folder to burn (with the movies) and one empty AUDIO_TS folder I would think, is Avs2DVD making seperate VIDEO_TS folders for each avi? I was under the impression it burned the whole set as a single project using ImgBurn. Hopefully, someone with more knowledge on the subject will chime in.