1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installed my new wd4000kd last night, does this seem right????

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by mikej3131, Apr 13, 2006.

1. mikej3131

mikej3131 Regular member

Ok let me just start off by saying dotn every buy a gateway 842gm if you plan on upgrading.

I got my western digital 400gb HDD last night and opened up my case just to realize there was only one bay to put my hard drive in without tearing the PC apart. And that one bay happened to be the bay with my other hard drive in it so i had to stick it in a spot that was a cenimeter away from my other drive. I read you shouldnt stick hard drives next to eachother but i didnt feel like taking my pc aopart to put it in the other bay.

Ok i stuck it in this bay and mounted it only to realize that the legacy power connector "DID NOT REACH THE HDD". i was using a Western digital secureconnect cable and needed a legacy power connector to connect to the HDD for power. Well that totally ruined evverything and i was back to sqaure one.

Now i had to take apartt the PC just to stick this drive in the other 3.5" bay. Of course with gateway's horrible manufacturing skills, to do this i had to take themain ball bearing fan off the motherboard, unhook atleast 5 wires to get them out of my way, bend some medal out of the way just to get the thing in!

Finally it was in, but geuss what. The holes on the case were off centered and i wasnt able to screw this drive in so i left it resting on the edes of the bay. It was alil snug and i dont think i should worry to much(though i dont know much about HD's).

Ok i turned my PC on and when windows started i got this error message :
    RUNDLL
    Error loading C:\Windows\system32\nvCpl.dll
    The process cannot access the filebecause it is being used by another process.

Well everything turned out to be ok and my hard drive is running fine and it formatted fine.

Can anybody answer a couple questions for me :

1) ok what is that message about, should i be worried?
    2) since i banged this hard drive around to get it inthe bay, wil it be ok?
    3) wil this drive degrade faster or go bad faster because it is not screwed in a bay and laying on the bays edges?????

2. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

1. That's the Nvidia control panel applet.
    2. Hard drives can take some banging just not that much.
    3. In a word...Yes. The vibration of that drive running will move it around in the case, and it's more than possible that it will touch something and ground itself out or short out...frying the drive.

Secure it.

3. mikej3131

mikej3131 Regular member

is this bad that i got that message?

Hmmmmm wel the hole doesnt match up. i might have to push the one end of the drive up really hard for the holes to match up. or could i screw another hole on the side of the drive?

4. byron02

byron02 Regular member

1. If you don't want your HD, just send it to me. I'll pay shipping. Just PM me for my address.
    2. You'd be better off drilling holes in the aluminum case brackes in your case. Just mark them with a permanent marker, completely remove your HDD, and drill the holes, making sure no shavings fall into the MOBO or any fans..

5. mikej3131

mikej3131 Regular member

ok i drilled the holes. after i drilled them i had to shave the other end of the aluminum with a file. There might be some shaving in there, why should i not have shavings in there?

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

sizzle sizzle goes the motherboard as it gets short circuited by the metal filings!!!!

7. mikej3131

mikej3131 Regular member

:(

How do i get them out?

8. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

vaccum cleaner