1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dashboard Help!

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by dcvickers, Apr 13, 2006.

1. dcvickers

dcvickers Regular member

I've been thinking about modding my xbox for a long time and since I know how my 360 I thought I'd give it a shot. I followed http://forums.maxconsole.net/archive/index.php/t-13629.html and it didn't work. I can boot games just fine. If I turn my xbox on it hangs at the big green X with the MS logo at the bottom. I've also tried to install the dashboard by connecting to Live but when I login my screen goes black and if I choose new account the xbox reboots. I cloned my hard drive to another but it won't seem to work either. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2006
  2. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

3. dcvickers

dcvickers Regular member

The only thing I did was make a clone of the retail HD to another hard drive. The tut didn't say anything about eeprom. Am I completely screwed?

4. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

NO.
    So you still have the complete ms dash on C drive. Try to copy it to PC. Put the original retail hdd back to xbox. Turn on xbox and make sure the ms logo appear under XBOX. And what is the error code?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2006
  5. dcvickers

dcvickers Regular member

I don't get an error code when I put the retail hard drive back in. It just hangs at the xbox/X/ms screen. If I put the cloned HD in then I get error code 05 because it's not locked. Also, everytime I try to do the hotswap my computer reboots. Would my retail HD work if I cloned it from the other HD? I don't know why I never thought of that.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2006
  6. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

the retail hdd is hung after the microsoft logo appeared or before the the microsoft logo appears?

Yes, the new hdd has error 5 because it is unlock. To lock it, you need the eeprom. But you did not back it up.

7. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

Just copy the ms dash to PC. Then follow my hotswap intruction.

8. dcvickers

dcvickers Regular member

It hangs after the ms logo appears. I made the clone before I tried any modding, but it wouldn't work to clone my retail back since I didn't back up my eeprom?

9. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

No. You can try to clone it. It will work if you clone successfully. But do not unlock hdd.

I am just affaid of making more problems.

10. dcvickers

dcvickers Regular member

Well, I'm going to go and try and clone it. Hopefully it works. Would there be anything else I could do if it doesn't?

11. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

12. dcvickers

dcvickers Regular member

I've tried that hotswap and every time I try it just reboots my computer. At what point exactly am I supposed to hit the pause button? Every time I hit it my computer just keeps going along its way.

13. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

when you turn off pc, monitor has no signal. Turn on PC, monitor has signal. And hit the Break/Pause key. The pc will completely stop booting.

14. dcvickers

dcvickers Regular member

Ok I'll give it a shot. Thanks for all the information. If that doesn't work then I don't know what I'm supposed to do.

15. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

which windows do you have? how do you connect?

Here is some tips

- YOu need windows XP or 2000.
    - download and install xplorer360 on pc.
    - connect PC hdd to primary IDE.
    - the secondary IDE is just for xbox hdd. So IDE cable is free now.
    - turn on pc, and hit the Break/Pause key.
    - turn on xbox, and wait untill the microsoft logo appears. Quickly remove IDE cable from xbox and connect the one from pc to it.
    - press anykey on keyboard so pc continue to booot
    - Open xplorer360. you should see 5 partiotions on xbox hdd

16. dcvickers

dcvickers Regular member

I have Windows XP MCE. However, every time I hit the pause key on my computer it doesn't want to work. So I'm gonna have to hook it up to my other one over the weekend. But I should be able to restore it from the cloned hard drive since the microsoft logo still shows up?

17. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

I dont know that the xbox can unlock the clone hdd or not. If yes, then you are ok.

18. dcvickers

dcvickers Regular member

The clond hdd shouldn't be locked though should it? I didn't lock and it I didn't think that making a clone of the files would lock it. Am I wrong?

19. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

well after you cloned, you have to lock the hdd. If you don't lock, hdd will not work on your xbox.

how to lock it? you need epprom. That is your problem. You dont have epprom.

That is why I told you to put the original hdd back to xbox and do my hotswap tutor. Then you can reinstall ms dash.

20. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

The hotswap look kind of hard. But when you do it once, it is ok.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2006