1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

panasonic plasma EDTV or HDTV????

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by acousty, Apr 20, 2006.

1. acousty

acousty Regular member

I am looking at these two TV's...
    TH-42PX60U
    TH-42PD50U

This site has a nice review on both
    (although I believe the TH-42PX60U replaced the TH-42PX50U)

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatvreviews/panasonic-th42px50u-review.html

I have heard different things from other posts in other forums...
    One in particular is at http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=657877&page=1&pp=30

I just don't know what to think after reading that. What am I losing by getting the EDTV vs. HDTV? Both have HDMI.
    I will be wanting to use HDdvd or Blueray technology when it becomes more prominant and I will be getting HD programming soon so if anyone has any comments or ideas on which one would be better I would appreciate it.

2. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

If you really want to adopt Blu-Ray and HD-DVD you should consider a display that is future-proof. 1080p capable displays are now available from Sony, Samsung, Mitsubishi and HP.

3. acousty

acousty Regular member

If I bought the 42PX60U, would it really matter? I mean I have heard that Blue ray and HD-tv can't even display that res anyway... Will a Panasonic 42PX60U not look good on a blueray or HD-dvd content when it becomes the norm???

4. error5

error5 Regular member

Just got the Toshiba HD-A1 HD-DVD player. I watched the HD-DVD of "Serenity" last night and the picture quality is just jaw-dropping on my Sony KDS-R50XBR1. My friend has the Samsung HLR6178W and he is also very pleased with his HD-DVD picture.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2006
  5. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

@acousty:
    If you will be watching mostly standard definition TV then the panasonic HD or even ED should be fine. You may feel shortchanged though once more true HD and HD-DVD and Bluray material start to come out.

@error5:
    I have the same Samsung as your friend and I just ordered the Toshiba HD-DVD player. I'm glad to hear that he is pleased with his PQ. I'm in the process of building a dedicated home theater in the basement and I'm looking at the Sony VPLVW100 1080p front projector. I'm also planning to get a BluRay player when they come out and do a side by side comparison with HD-DVD.

6. acousty

acousty Regular member

But I have heard for a 42" screen and a viewing area of 4-6 feet you would never be able to tell the diff from a 720p and a 1080p on a HD source.

7. error5

error5 Regular member

I don't know where you heard this comment but I can definitely see a difference. For example: the HD-DVD version of "Serenity" encoded at 1080p and the regular DVD upconverted to 1080i or 720p.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2006
  8. acousty

acousty Regular member

How much was the HD version of serenity?

9. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

$24.49 at amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FA57N0/ref=amb_link_1119432_/104-0714548-9927907?n=130

Just to clarify - the Toshiba HD-DVD player can output a maximum of 1080i (not 1080p) over HDMI. However, the key element here is the program source. The HD DVD disc is encoded at 1080p compared to a regular DVD which is encoded at 480i. With a properly calibrated display the difference should be evident even if the regular DVD is upconverted to 720p or 1080i.

10. acousty

acousty Regular member

And this is exactly what a upconverting dvd player does right?

11. error5

error5 Regular member

Yes it is.

Here's my take on the whole thing: given a properly calibrated 1080p display and given the same movie - the picture from an HD-DVD (encoded at 1080p) will still look better than the picture from an upconverted regular DVD (encoded at 480i).

I can feel your frustration with the all these choices but I myself have upgraded from an older 720p display and I must tell you that the difference is there.

12. acousty

acousty Regular member

So you are saying you have a hd 1080p display and a regualr DVD movie.
    It will look nicer if you play it through the HD-DVD rather then the dvd player that can upscale it, right?

Yea, you would think it would be exciting and fun to get a TV right now, but I am so detail oriented and no one product is superior to the other. Its just a bunch of PRO's and Con's for each way you go. And on top of that there is SED looming on the horizon that is said to wipe out plasma and LCD and for less money to the consumer. I have yet to get facts to confirm any of this. It's just gossip at this point,.,

13. error5

error5 Regular member

You misunderstood me. This is not what I said.
    I have compared two different discs of the same movie:
    (1) HD-DVD disc played on an HD-DVD player
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FA57N0/ref=amb_link_1119432_/104-0714548-9927907?n=130
    (2) Regular DVD played on an upconverting DVD player
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0714548-9927907?_encoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=130

Both players connected by HMDI.

Number (1) wins hands down with overall better picture quality, higher level of detail and resolution, more film-like color, lower noise especially during the fast action sequences.

14. acousty

acousty Regular member

Thats what I thought you meant at first... well yea I would buy that for sure since it is a HD-DVD. But what about this...

Would the same regular(not hddvd)dvd play better in a hd-dvd or a dvd that upconverts? Granted the display is 1080p for both tests.. Or would there be no difference?

15. diabolos

diabolos Guest

HD-DVD players do upconvert regulare DVDs!