1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Used the following settings, at the previously tried 3.24Ghz:

DDR2 Overvoltage: +0.3V (Everest reports 2.18-2.19V)
    PCI-E Overvoltage: Normal
    FSB Overvoltage: +0.1V
    G(MCH) Overvoltage@ +0.1V
    MCH Reference Voltage: Normal
    DDR Reference Voltage: Normal
    DDR Termination Voltage: Normal
    Loadline Calibration Control: Off
    CPU Vcore: 1.45V

Burn Test crashed the system rather than causing a BSOD - Vcore in Everest was notably 1.39V.

Ran the test again with Loadline Calibration Enabled, and the test finished, but was marked as a failure as only two of the five tests returned the correct result. Vcore in CPUZ switching between the 1.408V seen in Auto, and 1.424V.

If there is an option for PLL voltage control in the BIOS, I don't see it, or it's under a different name. I used my own guesses as to the other voltages, but not sure that they're right.

update: Raised Vcore in BIOS to 1.475V, resulting in a CPUZ Value of 1.440-1.456V during loading and 1.472-1.488V at idle (occasional points of 1.424V). LinPack Testing now passes at 3.24Ghz. Time to try higher, I suppose. The bugbear of all this I think is the instability of the voltage. If 1.44V could be guaranteed, there'd be no need to aim as high as 1.475V but vdroop being what it is, it just ain't that simple with a CPU that draws this much load perhaps.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2008
  2. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's the one I'm using. :)

4. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

Thanks a lot!!! sam

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

No problem.

Got 3.33Ghz at the moment, however, this speed rebooted on burntest at 1.475V. Now using 1.481V, which is as high as I really want to go. Will run the test again shortly.

6. spamual

spamual Guest

why does it have +1 on your volts, and not the actual value?

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Because that's the way Gigabyte boards work for voltage.

8. greensman

greensman Regular member

Sammy add a little bit more (.05 or so) to the FSB and MCH and see what you get, and you might run your PCI-e at 102 or so just for giggles. As for your vdroop I'm not sure what to do there. ;) I've had pretty good luck with my P35-DS3P but remember I NEVER went above 1.4v with my OC. lol. Just a chicken I guess.... :p

good luck...

.....gm

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

0.03V for Vdroop doesn't seem that bad to me, especially compared to what a lot of people get, but I was rather hoping I wouldn't have to raise the Vcore quite as high as 1.48V (though Everest sees 1.47, and that's what I was going by before). I've been a bit naughty and raised the CPU speed to 3.42Ghz without having tested it on the burntest, and not really caring. In my testing, 3DMark will crash during the CPU test long before windows is in danger of becoming unstable, and since 3dmark has passed the test about 8 times, I'm not so fussed. I'm very doubtful these settings would pass Linpack as I've upped the speed 90mhz and the Vcore only by 5mV from a value that didn't pass, but the way I see it, I'll just keep testing things and look for crashes. Rather strangely, my chipset is running several degrees cooler than it was before on the auto-overclock, so I wouldn't be too surprised if it is in fact receiving a lower voltage than before. Sadly, I don't know a way of testing what these values really are as I don't have an up-to-date version of Everest at my disposal in any version other than a free trial...

10. spamual

spamual Guest

have you updated the bios?

thats a shame abotu the OCing, you cant put in real values, i hope that differnt with the X58 GB mobos, becuase i want to try someone other than ASUS. its always good to have other experiances!

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's not ideal, but it's no big problem unless you're comparing the settings you used to overclock a similar CPU using a different brand's board, and it should be pretty obvious that no two CPUs and no two motherboards will overclock the same anwyay. I doubt it will change in the future as I'm pretty sure Gigabyte boards overclocked like this even going back to the 965P days.

I am running the latest bios, the Beta of F4a. Ironically, the earlier BIOS could well have been working in manual mode - the Vdroop at idle just happened to mean that the voltage I manually selected - 1.45V showed up in Everest as 1.408V, the exact same value it was on Auto, so I didn't think Manual settings were working... whoops! lol

Last edited: Sep 1, 2008
  12. greensman

greensman Regular member

How bout DFI?? Hellooooooooo!!!! lol. ;)

Sammy have you tried those "values" I suggested or are you using Auto still?? I would think you'd be using "manual" with Shaaf giving you crap about it... hehehee. :p

....gm

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I haven't tried them yet Gm, but my NB runs significantly cooler now than it does on Auto, so I have my suspicions I'm not even running the chipset as high as it was back then, so I'll add a 0.05 to that.

14. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

sam,

try upping the MCHv and FSBv a bit more. what increments do you have? I can increase mine in increments of .02v. my FSBv is at 1.33v and my NBv is at 1.38v. where is your memory running at in regards to frequency?

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

0.025 for MCH and 0.05 for FSB voltage.
    Currently on:
    1.5125Vcore
    +0.25 MCH
    +0.25 FSB
    +0.30 (2.2V) RAM (I thought +0.3 would be 2.1, but it isn't)

CPU at 395x9 - this is the highest I can even get windows to boot at, and 3dmark won't pass, Linpack testing certainly won't. Windows doesn't even boot at 3.6, and I'm not going any higher with the Vcore.
    4x1GB is definitely a problem at this OC though, as merely setting 4-4-4-12 timings below the memory's rated speed of 800, the system doesn't even POST.

16. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

yep I agree. looks like ur 4 x 1gb sticks of ram are holding you back. you can always take a couple sticks out and try it.

1.5v NB and 1.45V FSB is getting a little high for my liking. probably going to raise the temps more than you would like to see, especially if the NB HS hasn't been modded with AS5 or equivelent.

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    Yes it was. My attitude toward that is "so what"! The GA-965P-DS3 V. 1.33 was the very best of all the 965P motherboards. In a heads up test of 7 P35 motherboards, the only one that beat it was It's big younger brother, the GA-P35-DQ6! It was the easiest overclock of my life! Great Motherboard, and a true legend! Saved GigaByte's ass, and kept them in business!

Russ

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You had a DQ6? I don't even remember that, I only recall the DS3R. What was it like?

Mort: Thanks for providing the 'real world' voltages for NB/FSB. I know it's all relative, but that does take a weight off my mind. Rather a good idea about using two sticks actually, I may have to try that.

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    LOL!! I wish! it was one of the 8 P35 motherboards Tom's used it the tests. The P35-DQ6 finished just ahead of the 965P-DS3. It was the only P35 to beat the GA-965P-DS3. I've linked the tests a couple of times before, but can no longer find it. In all fairness, these tests were run very early in the P35's run and I'm sure that the current crop of P35 motherboards have improved enough to beat any 965P. Still, at the time it was interesting to see the older tech beating the new!

Best Regards,
    Russ

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Interesting, yes. That's almost accepted as fact these days...