AfterDawn Forums

DVD Shrink alternative?

This discussion thread has 29 messages.

Hi,

I have figured out that when ripping movies with DVD Shrink 3.2.0.15 and then testing with DVD Info I get tons of crc errors and the movies freeze occasionally, when I backup PS2 games using DVD Decrypter 3.5.4.0 and check for errors they are all flawless. Does anyone know of a software like DVD Decrypter that they use successfully to burn movies, or is there a way I can encode and shrink w/Decrypter?

I am using Taiyo Yuden DVD-Rs and Nero 7.0.5.4

Thanks for any help.
▼▼ This topic has 28 answers - they are below this advertisement ▼▼
AfterDawn Advertisement
You can rip to your hard drive with Decrypter then shrink and burn with Nero Recode

DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me
offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you dont know how to ignore a posting, complain to
me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate . . .
DVD Shrink is known for not having a good in built ripper , I usually use DVD Decrypter (either in File mode or ISO Read) and then let DVD Shrink work on it :-)

There is always DVD2One as an alternative , which is easy to use [but not a free app , fully functional 30 day trial I think though]

Taiyo Yudens are the best disc around & I use them myself ;)

Personally I dont like Nero 7 & still use Nero 6.6.0.16

If you dont like DVD Decrypter or DVD Shrink.

The alternative are:

1.DVD Fab Decrypter
2.RatDVD

Both also freeware and do the job.

But i would prefer and the combo i use is DVD Fab Decrypter and DVD Shrink and ConeDVD 2.

Keep me posted on how you go...

Edited by DVDBack23

"the mediocre teacher tells. the good teacher explains. the superior teacher demonstrates. the great teacher inspires."- William Aruthur Ward
Like already stated Nero Recode 2 is another similar program you can use to compress your movies, it's also faster. I use it when doing main movie rips, just because it's faster....For ripping I use DVD Decryter, and/or DVDFab Decrypter -shrugs- don't really know why I alternate, but I do.

I use MIJ Sony 8x which are TYs, and Verbatim 16x both DVD+R format...
uglyget Suspended account
well mr XxRUINSxX i am surprised at your statement of "its faster" dvd ripping can't be rushed anytime. that is how you can get bad quality, far better to allow more time to do things.
Quote:
dvd ripping can't be rushed anytime.
.. Recode isn't faster at ripping .. but it certainly is more efficient at shrinking/encoding than DVD Shrink is making it a faster program ...

DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me
offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you dont know how to ignore a posting, complain to
me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate . . .
well make your mind up catfreak you say one thing then the other which is it to be
Apparently uglyget, you aren't exactly sure what a ripper is ... Nero Recode is NOT A RIPPER ... DVD Shrink, DVD Decrypter, AnyDVD, DVDFab Decrypter and those types of programs ARE RIPPERS
Whoa whoa, thanks for all the advice....all of you. I'm definitely going try each until I find one that works for me when I get home. In the past I've tried everything from playing with the target size on Shrink, updated firmware on DVD-writer, lowered and raised write speed, checked DMA for all drives, etc. and made lots of coasters until I check all PS2 games were flawless and zeroed in on Shrink.

It's good to have some choices,

I will post back success or failures.

Thanks again.
catfreak i never said anything about what is a ripper and what isn't what i commented on was anything to do with dvds isn't worth rushing even the encoding stage it's always better to allow more time and make a better job of things.always run the programmes in the slowest mode. i benefited from having a pc for this sole purpose.
uglyget , calm down !

I'm sure the user that asked for help has been given plenty alternatives now & let's wait for a reply on whether they were successful or not eh (?)

hey mr moderator i've never been calmer
@herbsman
Damn glad to see you back!

@5dolla,
The first thing I'd go after with CRC errors is the media but in your case Taiyo Yuden are about the best you can get. How about burn speed? If you don't set it then you may be burning at the default "Maximum" speed.

My website- http://www.dvdplusvideo.com featuring Guides by Alkohol, bbmayo, ScubaPete and me.
Hey, thanks again for all the good info. I have a seperate, DVD reader and writer, so I figured I would go with Recode route so I could burn from 1 DVD to another quick and got an error, "failed to read from file". Now I'm thinking something is wrong with my setup. The original movie zips right through DVDInfo w/no errors. here is a log from that bad burn:

********** Nero Recode **********

Version: 2.3.0.8

Project type: Copy entire DVD
Target size: DVD5 (2282925)

21:03:20 File LangStreamPatcher.cpp, Line 56
Command table patching started...

21:03:20 File LangStreamPatcher.cpp, Line 135
All tables successfully patched!

Burn settings:
Target: DVDRW DRW-3S163
Number of copies: 1
Write speed: 5540 KB/s
Temp folder: C:\Documents and Settings\studio\My Documents\Nero Recode (13416910848 bytes free)
Direct burning: false
Target media: DVD R/RW, DVD R DL, DVD-RAM
Shutdown when finished: false
Advanced Analysis: true
Compress Adaptive: true

21:03:55 File burn_dvdfiles.cpp, Line 233
Compile DVD: init

VMG Menus Vobs [14 vobus] 0.10MB -> 0.10MB [R 1.00]
Video: 0.07MB, extra: 0.03MB
Audio: 0 streams
Subpicture: 1 streams
0. 0. Unspecified 0.00MB [enabled]

VTS_01 Menus Vobs [21 vobus] 0.13MB -> 0.13MB [R 1.00]
Video: 0.08MB, extra: 0.04MB
Audio: 0 streams
Subpicture: 1 streams
0. 0. Unspecified 0.00MB [enabled]

VTS_01 Title Vobs [7221 vobus] 4022.96MB -> 4022.96MB [R 1.00]
Video: 3333.07MB, extra: 689.89MB
Audio: 1 streams
0. 0. LPCM 2-ch English 675.78MB [enabled]
Subpicture: 0 streams

21:04:26 File burn_dvdfiles.cpp, Line 1198
Compile DVD: begin copy 1

21:04:26 File burn_dvdfiles.cpp, Line 730
Compile DVD: begin deep analysis

21:19:14 File burn_dvdfiles.cpp, Line 383
Failed to read from the file 1\.

21:19:14 File burn_dvdfiles.cpp, Line 384
Compiling DVD volume failed

21:19:14 File burn_dvdfiles.cpp, Line 303
Compile DVD: exit

21:19:14 File burner.cpp, Line 1264
Failed to read from the file X.
logans Suspended due non-functional email address
We have been using DVD Shrink and the decrypter with Any DVD running in the background. The we burn with Nero 6. Any DVD has a 21 day free trail and then you can purchase. Any DVD updated this software sometimes 3 time a day when needed because of the new protections being placed on DVD's. These are your best backup tools. We have used this combo for over a year.
Hey Logans, I was just wondering, have you ever tried to copy one of your backups? I think I started this whole thing when a friend asked me if he could get a copy of one of my backups and I couldn't copy it in Shrink, kept getting CRC errors. Then I tested it with DVDInfo and re-confirmed. I was just wondering if you have ever tried to copy your backups. Of course all of my movies freeze here and there but I lived with it.

To update my own post, I decided to put both drives in a completely different machine (newer). Tried Nero Recode w/DVDAnywhere and Recode wouldn't even copy from my Samsung drive, it spit out an error something like "failed to read from file %s". I was able to copy from my DigitalMax and then burn but DVDInfo shows tons of errors even with the Taiyo Yuden DVD-R printable whites. I have not printed anything onto the printable surface before testing it with DVDInfo.

I think maybe now I've got it down to my DVD drives. Does anyone know of good, reliable DVD drives that they have burned movies with and tested their backups successfully on DVDInfo?

Thanks for any suggestions.
I have used a Sony, and a Toshiba drive with no problems. Make sure that all anti virus and such are turned off.

logansgram
Just a FYI, Recode and Shrink were written by the same guy. Mr Shrink(as I call him) was hired by Nero. I for the most part rip with DVDD and shrink with Nero Recode. Just my 2 cents.

EDIT
You can make a backup of a backup with Nero
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 12 May 2006 @ 18:03

Beer is good...and stuff!
just a thought................

haven't see anyone list AnyDVD............

think its the best going on now..................

best $29.00 i ever spent...................

have had about 2 movies i couldn't back up
in a year...........................

don't care for Nero, installed it in my old computer
man it sucked............................

AnyDvD, DvDShrink DvDDecypter has worked great so far..

been lucky.....................

good day......................

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 12 May 2006 @ 18:12

AnyDvD/CloneDvD Are #1 Hands Down
Extracting Audio Only from DVDs With NERO/DvDDecrypter
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=139536
The fact that Nero hired the person who wrote DVD Shrink makes sense. That must be why there have been no updates to that wonderful program, must be in his contract. Have fun everyone

logansgram
People still use DVD Shrink??? Wow.. if you are using ANYTHING other than DVD Rebuilder Pro and CCE (Cinema Craft Encoder) combo... you are wasting your time.... GOOD LUCK with those other proggies!!! :)

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :)
I only use Rebuilder (free ver) instead of Shrink when I want to reduce a whole DVD-9 disc or the movie is extra long and a movie only backup needs > 25% (or so) compression for a movie with substantial action/motion. Running Rebuilder overnight doesn't waste any of my time and my PC shows no effects from sleep deprivation.

No one in my house usually watches any new releases until the weekend so there's no big rush. I have no HD TV's and nothing bigger than my old 40" tube so reasonably modest compression is not noticable.

free software works!
DVDDecrypter/FabDecrypter/Shrink/ImgBurn
IBM T42 w/1GB RAM, NEC 2510A (ext firewire)
hi bannor007
running dvd rebuilder is ok if you got nothing else to do for a lot of hours the shrink can recode a film in less than an hour
@bannor007

Mate DVD Shrink might be not updated anymore but it still works like a charm if u keep your AnyDVD up to date then DVD Shrink has no problems with any movie you shish to back up.

For some people if they find a combination that works for them I think they should stick to it :)

Edited by DVDBack23

"the mediocre teacher tells. the good teacher explains. the superior teacher demonstrates. the great teacher inspires."- William Aruthur Ward
This discussion thread has been automatically closed, as it hasn't received any new posts during the last 180 days. This means that you can't post replies or new questions to this discussion thread.

If you have something to add to this topic, use this page to post your question or comments to a new discussion thread.