1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to HDTV

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by nasayin, May 3, 2006.

1. nasayin

nasayin Regular member

I just brought a Samsung HLR-4667W HDTV. This is my first HDTV so I am new to this technology. I have a couple of questions.

1. When I connected my coaxial cable directly to my tv, I get all the local broadcast channels in HD. The picture quality is great. But am I using the best picture quality? I read somewhere that the best picture quality is when you use HDMI, DVI, or component cables.
    2. I have a Motorola DCT-2524 which is only a digital receiver set top box. The box only have coaxial and composite output. I cannot get any HD channels when I connect my coaxial to my set to box, and then coaxial or composite cable from my set top box to my tv? Is it because my Motorola DCT-2524 cannot broadcast HD?
    3. I noticed that my standard definition channels are grainy. Is there any way to resolve that issue?

Thanks

Last edited: May 3, 2006
  2. Spenman91

Spenman91 Regular member

1. Your setup should be just as good as running it through a HD set top box i could be wrong if i am somebody correct me
    2. You cant get a hd signal through coaxial or composite cables and in some cases can only recieve a 420p signal through compontent cables
    3. no there is not sd does usually not look good on hdtvs with the exception of WEGA SXRD

3. SOCOMII

SOCOMII Regular member

4. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Ok, Spenman91, please do some reasearch before answering questions and stating facts!

@ nasayin,

SOCOMII is correct, Composite and S-Video connections cannot carry HD signals. They are limited to 480i. Component Video or better connections must be used.

You are getting confussed. Your tv's digital tuner is receiving a digital signal via the cable line. You are already using a digital connection. Coax is all you can do when you are using a built-in digital tuner. Other wise that is corect information.

Yes. You don't have HD-cable service. You need to call your cable company and sign up for thier HD service. They will give you a diffrent box that has Component Video and HDMI or DVI on it!

Yes, SD looks horrible on HDTVs. There are more pixels in an HDTV set. An SD signal doesn't have enough information to activate all of the pixels in an HDTV. Thats why you need a better source. If you ask me I will go more in depth.

----------------

Cable connections 101:

Here are some of the limits and ablilities of different connection technologies...

Composite Video - One channel for Y (Grey Scale/Luma)-Pb (Blue)-Pr (Red) signals. All signals suffer degredation. Maximum resolution is 480i.

Super (S) Video - Two channels; one for Y; one for Pb and Pr. Only the color signals suffer degradation. Very good grey scale (contrast). Maximum resolution is 480i.

Component Video - Three channels for Y-Pb-Pr (sometimes noted Y-Cb-Cr on digital devices). None of the channels suffer from degradation. Very good grey scale and color reproduction. Can handle Interlaced Scan and Progressive Scan video signals. Maximum resolution 1080i/p.

Ced

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2006
  5. SOCOMII

SOCOMII Regular member

Good post diabolos