1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

minidisc to pc

Discussion in 'Audio' started by john1816, May 7, 2006.

1. john1816

john1816 Member

Hi all. Can anyone tell me how to transfer audio from a mini disc player to a pc ? Its got me totally stumped but i am pretty sure there is a way to do it. Can anyone help ? Thanks.

2. djscoop

djscoop Active member

connect the line out from the minidisc player to the line in on your computer sound card. if it is a portable player, it probably has a 1/8" headphone jack plug, which will be the same on your line in computer soundcard. so you'll need a stereo 1/8" male to male cable. if your minidisc player is a home unit, then it will have RCA outputs, so you will need a stereo 1/8" male to stereo RCA cable. you can pick these cables up at places like radio shack.

then download a free audio editing program such as Audacity. be sure you enable your line in audio on your soundcard. (double click the sound icon in the system tray. click options, and in the "adjust volume for" box, click the recording button, then click OK. Make sure the line-in is selected, not muted, and that the volume level is up. You should now be able to open up Audacity and record your minidisc audio into that. You can then edit the recording down to individual tracks, and export them as wave (uncompressed) files or possible mp3s. (I don't use Audacity so I'm not sure if it has an mp3 encoder built in.)

If it doesn't and you want to convert them to mp3s, then download dBPowerAMP, a great free audio converter utility. With that you can convert your WAV files to mp3. There is a link to dBPowerAMP's website in my sig below. You should be able to find Audacity easily by using google.

3. john1816

john1816 Member

Thanks djscoop, will give it a try.

4. djscoop

djscoop Active member

no problem, good luck. post again if you have any more questions or issues...

5. john1816

john1816 Member

Worked a treat, thanks a million.

6. djscoop

djscoop Active member

glad you got it done. enjoy!