1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

problems connecting xbox to pc

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by drogomir, May 13, 2006.

1. drogomir

drogomir Regular member

I have a modem plugged into the pc's onboard card and the crossover cable plugged into the ethernet card i installed into the pc. What ip addresse do i use for the onboard card and what ip for the ethernet card. Then what ip addresse do i set the xbox to. This is wrecking my brain. I read a few tutorials on this but none has worked. maybe i need to change some other setting in internet explorer. Any help would be appreciated. Thanx

2. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Hiya... easy when you know how...
    First off go to Start>control panel>my network places..
    Open the folder and select "show network connections(in the menu on the left)
    Open that and it will show you (with a bit of luck) 2 connections..careful now!! Select the one you want to connect to the xbox (right click) and from the menu select >properties<
    scroll down the window until you come to TCP/IP..highlight it and select >properties<

Look at the IP number of your xbox...usually something like 192.168.1.200

Select "Use this IP"..select the button thingy

Put this in (you will see the thinking) 192.168.1.1
    subnet should pop in as soon as you try to put the cursor on it

Don't put anything in dns...not used

exit (OK)

Back to the My Network Places" folder..

on the left menu select >add a new network place<

A wizard starts...
    when it gets to >sign up to a new ftp server/add site..whatever it says highlited in blue (theres only one option anyway) select yes...

a window will open saying >supply address of network place< or something similar.. in this box you put

Code:
     ftp://xbox:xbox@192.168.1.200
    and hit next.. it wants a name...I put the xbox server nomber..but I have 10 linked up..just put "xbox"

hit enter...there will probably be an error screen now because the connection is enabled and we didn't click the "connect when finished" button off..

come all the way out..check thet ftp is enabled at the xbox end.. Evox settings...and that the numbers are all right...reboot pc, then reboot xbox...go to my network places and open the folder that has miraculously appeared called xbox.. there will be a load of folders inside it...that's your xbox drive.. If you get a permissions error download ond install WSFTP pro...forget flash fxp..pain in the ass..and put the numbers in that...the password is xbox and the name is xbox...

There ya go...from memory, I don't run winblows anymore.. lol and good luck...

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2006
  3. drogomir

drogomir Regular member

thanks for the help man. I did all you said and finish setiing up an xbox site in "my network palces", but when i click on the xbox folder it ask me for a password. i entered the ftp X3 password found in my "x3 chip SETTINGS" and it opens the folder. it says searching for items but just keeeps searching and searching and never stops and nothing comes up. Also when I start up the WS_FTP, it tries to connect to the site "but gives me a "connection error" alert. i'm not sure whats wrong. What are the network settings on my xbox suppose to be if i used the static ip and what if i try the DHCP. please and thank you.

4. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Well for starters the x3 ftp is for network bios flashing..you need to be in evox dash, or unleash or whatever.. the xbox numbers are in the dashboard >system>settings and as long as they kinda match up with the pc ip then it will work.. If you haven't changed any passwords...hold on.. I'll go and find my proper guide..here we go...

XBOX NETWORK SETUP GUIDE

1. disable any firewalls (or set them to ALLOW when trying to connect to your xbox).

2. Disable the LAN connection and connect the crossover cable to pc and xbox.

3. Right click the LAN connection (under START/CONTROL PANEL/NETWORK CONNECTIONS), click "properties", under the "general" tab, go down the list, click on "Internet protocol (TCP/IP)" then click properties again. Use the following settings;-
    IP Address: 192.168.1.1
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: don't worry about it 0.0.0.0 is fine

Click OK.

4. On your desktop, you need to see an icon labelled "My Network Places" (If its not there, right click on your desktop, click "properties", click "desktop" tab, then click "customize Desktop...", tick the box at the top for "My network places" and click OK, and again OK to exit display properties).
    Right click on "My Network Places" and select "add new network place", then click the writing which says "sign up for online storage or connect to a network server", a wizard thing pops up, click NEXT, the next screen brings up a list of service providers, highlight the 1 which says "Choose another network location........." then click NEXT, in the space type this
    ftp://xbox:xbox@192.168.1.200
    click NEXT, the next page is the name, your choice, I just put XBOX on mine, click NEXT, then untick the box (open this..... when finished", click FINISH

NOTE: ALL THE SETTINGS ABOVE ARE ASSUMING THEY ARE LEFT AS DEFAULT ON EVOX, IF YOU CHANGED THEM PUT THE PASSWORD BACK TO "XBOX" AND THE IP BACK TO 192.168.1.200 OR THESE SETTINGS WONT WORK!!!

5. On xbox, goto settings and make sure it says "use static IP" YES.

6. Reboot your xbox, on evox dash it should display the IP as 192.168.1.200 (if it does not take note of step 5. and make sure the IP is set to this).
    Default gateway for the xbox with this setup is the PC IP number..

7. Re-Enable the LAN on your pc, a bubble pops up "LAN Connection 100.0 Mbps ..."

8. Finally, double click the "My Network Places" icon on your desktop and open the folder named XBOX (or whatever you specified in step 4.) and it should show you your xbox hard drive (C,E,F,X,Y,Z and D is the DVD-Rom).

You seem to be connected tho...add an exception in your firewall for WS and it should come to life... nearly there..

Don't attempt to set up the DHCP...do you know what a DHCP server daemon is?? lol and good luck.. if all else fails just try re-booting everything a couple of times..the xbox has a habit of resetting to "telnet IP" numbers..

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2006
  5. drogomir

drogomir Regular member

Man, i tried every thing u said. I'm using windows XP PROFESSIONAL, maybe the is some setting that i need to adjust to get this working. Every time i try to open my XBOX folder in MY NETWORK PLACES the computer searches then says "unable to open folder,check that i have the correct folder name or have permission" My xbox is using the evox dashboard. I was wondering if there was a setting in the XBOX that had to be changed so it would share its data. ANY HELP is really appreciated. THANX

6. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Yes there is...look down the list in evox(system management>settings) until you come to FTP..set it to ENABLE... then check the password.. it's xbox..but ws ftp has a box for those things...sometimes windows just doesn't want to play.. but the FTP app will ??
    It took me 3 weeks of bashing my head against a wall when I worked it out (all on my own years ago)...keep trying.. It does work, now it's just about passwords.. if /21 is on the end of the xbox address on the PC end try taking it off..

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2006
  7. drogomir

drogomir Regular member

I did something wrong. I went into passwords on my xbox menu and changed
    it to xbox, now when i restart my xbox, it goes to the main screen" XBOX, Xecuter rox my box" and freezes there. i tried flashing the bios three times but nothing worked. help please

8. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Which password?? The one in evox?..try booting your installer disk and installing evox on C:\ again...I think something messed up in evox.ini

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2006
  9. drogomir

drogomir Regular member

what installer disk, i dont have one?

10. steimy

steimy Active member

unless you have a lot of important information on your HDD i suggest you just go get Slayer 2.6 or AID 3.0 (auto installer delux)
    both are auto installers and can be found on many torrent sites.
    Burn it to a DVD then stick it in your Xbox and it should load up
    then you can format the HDD and use the programs on the auto installer disc to put a lot of apps and such back on, including all the dashboards, emulators, DVD2Xbox, XBMC and so on.
    I know Slayer 2.6 had the MS Dash, EvoX, Avalaunch, & UnleasheX on it along with many programs, emulators and tons of roms.
    People update some auto installers themselves to add newer things so loo around for a version that has the most up to date programs on it.

11. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Hi steimy... I've been trying to work out what can possibly have gone wrong while changing network settings and all I can come up with is the dash location on the X3 config has changed... Input please??..

@drogomir.. Try this...when you boot the xbox hold down the WHITE button..that should take you to the X3 config screen..then check for the boot dash location and make sure it still points at evox on C:\

12. drogomir

drogomir Regular member

Thanks alot but i accidentally figured it out. I fashed the X3 chip again with the x3 3029 bios and that some how brought me to the password screen, where i enterd even though i had tried flashing it with the x3 #294 bios over and over again that did not help. I then entered password i had accidentally set while playing in the menu and the menu opened again.

13. steimy

steimy Active member

so you can FTP now?

14. backupguy

backupguy Regular member

dont you just hate s**** endings?