1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

some basic noob questions about DV capture and interlace phenomena

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by roise_r, May 15, 2006.

1. roise_r

roise_r Member

hi all, recently i bought a DV camcorder, and started looking for guides about DV caputre, encoding, what is mostly recommended and other related posts... i learned quite a lot during these brief tutorials, but still i have some quite basic questions that i want to get out of the way, before I start downloading all of my minicasettes to DVDs,

1.i bought my camera in USA, this means that it shoots in NTSC format, right? i would like to check that, what is the easiest way to do that... all cameras that record on tape (digital or analog), record interlaced videos...right? so my camera records video in NTSC-interlaced format...?

2.i tried to use different softwares to capture my video (just capture), but it turned out that different programs capture differently, with big differences in quality, thats why i am FORCED to ask the following question:
    What software is recommended to use just for capture, no video editing or encoding) i tried some of them and Adobe premiere's capturing tools seems to be quite good

3.when i capture with movie maker's capturing tool and after that i play the raw captured video with classic media player, just after caputre, (before closing movie maker), it will play the video interlaced (the interlace artifacts are clearly visible), and the video it somewhat brighter, very pale, but brighter, the moment i close movie maker, the interlacing will dissappear, and the video will become darker... is there a specific reason for that...?

4.lets see if i got the interlace issue right, at all. interlaced video is the one that each frame contain two fields that show in turn, one after another... and progressive scan videos are made of pure frames, no fields... right?

5.if i am playing video that is interlaced, to a progressive scan display, i would know couse the video would consist interalce artifacts, what about if i play progressive video on interlace based display, how would i know...

6.if my dvd player has a label on in saying that it plays progressive scan does this mean that i should not worry about videos being interlaced or not, couse my player will take care of this automaticly???

7.how do i asure my self that my TV is PAL and DOES NOT support progressive scan...

8.when i start a new project on adobe premiere it will ask me what type of project I want to use:
    24P, NTSC and PAL, (NTSC and PAL are reffering to interlaced i assume, couse there is a separate project for 24 progressive)... now if my camera is shooting on NTSC-interlaced and my DVD player supports progressive scan on both NTSC and PAL, and my TV i PAL-interlaced, what project type should i use of the above three...?

9.telecine process is the one that will convert progressive cinema frames to NTSC interlaced frames, ? and IVTC is the process from interlaced NTSC to progressive NTSC?

10.encoding in Divx or Xvid, can i add chater or make menus, like in MPEG2 encoding (DVD format), what about VCD and SVCD, are these any good, i am really having a hard time decideing what type of encoding should i use. quality and size both matter

well, thats it, 10x to those who actualy reached the end, and anyone who wishes to reply...

2. budberner

budberner Guest

1. NTSC. 2. Are you capturing with a card or Canopus device? 3. WMM-Very buggy prog, Not suprised what you got going with that. 4. Correct 5. Never had this issue with vcr to progressive. 6.Yes 7. Pal is resolution not how it's viewed. 8.Pal or NTSC is resolution not interlaced or not. If your player and tv can handle it,it doesn't matter. But if you want to make sure others can view it use NTSC at the highest resolution for quality. 9.???? 10. Stick with mpeg2 for easy compatability, It totally depends on your settings for capture, Resolution and Bitrate. Good Luck

3. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

1. NTSC: yes. Interlaced: probably, but there are camcorder that can record in progressive mode.
    2. If you use a Firewire connection it does not matter which program you use, because it is a direct digital data transfer. On this page you will find a number of freeware capture programs that you could try: http://www.digitalvideoclub.com/downloads/freedownloads.php
    3. Make sure that you use the right settings. Check this: http://www.digitalvideoclub.com/tutorials/moviemakermistakes.php
    4. Yep, Interlaced is one field with even lines, one field with odd lines
    5. Playing interlaced video on a PC screen dos not show "artifacts", but you can see a "combing effect". However, this will also depend on the software that you us for the playback. You will not see peculiar things when playing progressive video on a TV, but the quality of the image is a bit less.
    6. ANY DVD player will not mind if your DVD contains interlaced or progressive material. Progressive Scan DVD players can take interlaced material output it as progressive
    7. Check the manual or a sticker on the TV if it is PAL. The manual should also state if it is progressive scan capable. Of course you can also test using a progressive scan DVD player set in progressive scan mode.
    8. Because you watch on a PAL TV, you should use PAL project settings. There is no problem improting NTSC material into a PAL project but it will need to be completely rendered.
    9. No, telecine is the process of changing the frame rate of film (which is 24fps) to 25fps (for PAL) or 29.97fps (for NTSC). IVTC is the process the other way around.
    10. There are options to add chapterpoints in divX; I am not sure about Xvid. Quality of VCD is comparable with VHS, SVCD is in between VCD and DVD. Unless you have requirements to distribute your movies through other channels (eg. via Internet) I would simply stich to DVD (MPEG-2).

Hope that helps...

4. roise_r

roise_r Member

hi and thanks for your answers... sorry that it took me so long to reply, but i was ...internetless for almost a week now...

before posting, i just want to add the followings: my video camera IS NTSC, i use both,NTSC and PAL mini cassetes, my TV is PAL, both my camera and TV are interlaced and most importatly i want to be able to play the end-up videos both on computer and TV, so i would want to stick interlaced, which is good, couse i don't have to run the additional processing of de-interlacing...

@ burned
    2."Are you capturing with a card or Canopus device?"
    i am capturing digitaly with IEEE firewire cable...

@TPFKAS
    8. "Because you watch on a PAL TV, you should use PAL project settings. There is no problem improting NTSC material into a PAL project but it will need to be completely rendered. "
    now, on another site i read that if my source is NTSC i should use the sources format, not the end-device format... i am a little confused...?! or does it really matter... i use from time to time the analog video-audio cabel, with which i can watch my video in the old-fasioned way by just pluging my camera to the TV with the analog video-audio cabel, (S-Video is tha name i think) and i have absolutely no problems plaing NTSC cassetes from the NTSC camera to the PAL TV, what does this mean, my TV is NTSC? ...which i am sure it is not...! or in fact i doesn't really matter...?

i have these two questions...
    1.what is the pull-down flag
    2.i read somewhere that if i use DVD MPEG-2 i wont have to de-intrelace my video, if i use divx or xvid i must deinterlace... what does this mean... why i dont have to de-intrlace if i have mpeg-2 , why should i de-interlace if i use xvid or divx and what good is it if my video is interlace and i plan it to watch on interlaced display - my PAL TV... i am just looking for some more info about that...