1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel vs. AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by flip218, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Back by popular demand ... Discussion of which is better Intel or AMD.

I created a new thread cause ..

1. The original Intel P4 vs. AMD thread went south.

2. The original thread was 148 pages long ... so I don't think many were going to go read through it to catch up.

Now, let's keep this thread ON TOPIC. I don't wanna see anyone whining about what happened in the last Intel P4 vs. AMD thread. This is your warning!!! You complain or whine you get suspended. Stay on topic.

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You beat me to it flip! Was going to set one up last night, but never got round to it. Firstly, should we have a brief recap of the most recent on-topic material of the last thread?

We discussed the potential of the budget D805 (£86.89 at www.overclockers.co.uk and $128.99 at www.newegg.com) for overclocking enthusiasts. While it comes with modest 2666mhz core speeds, it does have 2MB cache, and can be overclocked massively. Tom's Hardware have proven it can be overclocked North of 4Ghz (over 50% OC), but above 3.8 you're likely to need a water cooling setup to keep its near 200W TDP in check. However, Zalman CNPS9500 coolers are highly recommended by everyone hear at AD.

We also discussed AMD's Socket AM2 due for release in a little over a fortnight, versus Intel's new Conroe chip, aimed at taking up the AMD "low core speed, high performance" crown. However, we recently had this article posted, proving that in real life, AMD's FX-62 will beat a top end Conroe chip.

http://sharikou.blogspot.com/2006/04/conroe-performance-claim-being-busted.html

3. Tokijin

Tokijin Active member

Can't really make heads or tails out of that thing. I think I got the basic principle: Anand's review was extremely biased towards Intel, and there could be no verification of the results because no specs were provided for the test hardware. We're relying solely on Intel's "credibility" that the test was fair. Further, if the test results in Sharikou's blog are accurate, the AMD will outperform Conroe in any 64 bit environment, let alone 32 bit enviroment. In summation AMD's are still faster at the same clock speed for most applications. If that's wrong please correct me. Be gentle, I don't know a ton about this stuff and am trying to learn.

Last edited: May 21, 2006
  4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Nope, I've no need to, you got it in one!

5. Tokijin

Tokijin Active member

That's encouraging, if I can pick through that and get the core message, then I must be learning. Will lurk and learn, I hope this new thread is as informative as the last one.

6. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

I'm adding this from the original thread for others if they want information on Conroe:

A forum/topic thread on THG where a Conroe enthusiast is collecting as much data as he/she can.

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hard...Data-Core-Duo-Core-Extreme-ftopict183765.html

SiSoft Sandra Dhrystone/Whetstone/Integer/FP/MemInt/MemFloat
    Conroe: 27395/18882/163122/88312/7367/5871
    Merom: 27515/18720/163693/88016/5478/5481

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=99466

Everybody is talking it up or down but until it is out and until AMD shows their card(s) all of this is just that, talk. Only time will tell if either can walk the walk. :)

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I don't really see the point in looking at Conroe benches for a lot of stuff yet, because it's comparing, well not chalk and cheese but maybe a pick-up versus an 18 wheeler, thery're related but testing between them is irrelevant.

8. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

The important keyword in your statement is "I".

Conroe is not out to the public so shooting holes in something that no ones knows enough about yet makes no sense as well. If tests were done by others on the Conroe cpu then let others decide what is or is not irrelevant, at least to them, unless of course they prefer to be spoon fed by one or two members here. Views on Ad can be quite different then by other members of forums such as ones hosted on THG. Remember there are fanboys on both sides of the fence.

"I" for one see no harm in providing anything related to Conroe.

9. Tokijin

Tokijin Active member

In the end it will be up to the consumer to make a choice. I don't know a ton about this stuff, but from what I've learned, aside from the D805, I would definitely go with an AMD build at this point. I would consider a D805 build, that's about it for Intel offerings.

10. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

the other thread was in a google search ,maybe this one will make it too

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well we'll see. I'm notsaying "nobody post any benches!" I'm saying let's wait until we get a fair comparison of AM2 versus the Conroe, since that's what it's up against.

12. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

13. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

oh Sophocles where are you !!!

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

At DVDHounds!

15. L8ter

L8ter Guest

noone cares, flip your a bitch!

now use yor majic wand and redirect this one

can I be excused no I didn't fart please alleviate the burden of wanting to shoot myself over being associated with this place and ban me.

(yes I already tried asking nicely)

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2006
  16. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

No problem :) .. and it's spelled magic BTW. LMAO.

17. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

L8ter, yes u did ask me to ban you. Sorry I didn't reply to you btw, and no I wouldn't have wanted to do it anyway. At the very least I'd have been accused (by others, not you, I know full well you'd have been honest about it, you and I have always been straight with each other) of doing it on purpose. Their are less drastic ways to achieve closure of your account than this..

18. creaky

Ah well, that's that then.

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yes indeed it is. Was that really worth a double post? I jest. I've no intention of making a prat of myself, even though I think what everyone else thinks. At DVDHounds there's a few pictures in 64026402's post about how good the Conroe really is.

http://www.dvdhounds.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4159#post4159

20. creaky

@sammorris - here's a suggestion. How about you chat to l8ter and see what he thinks of me. Then maybe some of this sillyness will stop. It's obvious what's going on here (still). I'm a member at dvdhounds though I don't visit hardly at all and I see there is an intel vs amd thread there. No-one from here has fouled that or any threads at hounds so I would appreciate the same courtesy here from anyone doing it I mean, as would others I imagine. With that said I'm certainly not for dragging this thread offtopic so let's get back on track please all

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.