1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to FTP Xbox to PC and backup your Xbox Games

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by s3a, May 21, 2006.

1. s3a

s3a Guest

# 1) Use a crossover cable and connect your xbox to your computer's ethernet card port and open your xbox
    # 2) Go to Control Panel
    # 3) Disable the firewall (if any)
    # 4) Click on "Network Connections"
    # 5) Right click on the LAN Connection and choose properties
    # 6) A window will open, on the "General" Tab, make sure that "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" is checked
    # 7) Highlight "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and click on properties
    # 8) Select "Use the following IP Adress"
    # 9) On "IP Adress:" type in 192.168.0.1
    # 10) On "Subnet Mask:" it should automatically be 255.255.255.0
    # 11) On "Default Gateway:" it should only have three dots.
    # 12) Click "Ok" on the "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties" window
    # 13) Click "Ok" on the "Local Area Connection Properties" window
    # 14) Make sure every window is closed
    # 15) Open the program called "FlashFXP" (other programs such as SmartFTP, or even Internet Explorer can be used to do this but those methods are unknown to me)
    # 16) Click the thunder icon and select quick connect (or press F8)
    # 17) Do not mess around with tabs other than the "General" Tab
    # 18) On "Server or Url:" type in 192.168.0.100
    # 19) On "User Name:" type in xbox
    # 20) On "Password" type in xbox
    # 21) Click "Ok" on the "Quick Connect" window
    # 22) If you have the original Hard Drive of the Xbox and have the game inside the Hard Drive in the games folder then click on the "E:/" folder located on the right side of the screen, then click on the "games" folder, after that, you have to drag and drop the game from the Hard Drive of the Xbox (located on the right side) to some location in any hard drive on the computer (located on the left side)
    # 23) Once the transfer is complete, on the bottom of the screen you should see the word "Idle" and a timer next to it. (the timer is saying how long ago the transfer was finished but you did not touch the computer or the program called "FlashFXP" to be more precise.
    # 24) When you have finished FTPing it the game of choice over to comp, you have to make it an .iso format so that you can burn it with Nero burning rom (those steps come later)
    # 25)Open the program called c-xbox tool (if you don't have it, PM me and I will send it to you by email or msn, whatever suits your needs)
    # 26) Once it is open, click on "ISO creation" which is located on the top left of the window
    # 27) Click on the "Add folder" button which is located on the bottom center of the window
    # 28) Source folder=what you just got from flashfxp and Target folder=where you want the iso image of your game to be (desktop or wtv)
    # 29) Once that is done, click on the Start button which is located on the bottom right.
    # 30) Wait for the process to be completed
    # 31) Once you close all previous work, open Nero burning rom (not Nero Startsmart)(I am using version 6.6.0.6)
    # 32) When you opened up Nero burning rom it will open two windows one you can't click on and one you can click on...
    # 33) On the one you can click on which it's title is "New Compilation" on the left side where it shows discs select from the trop down menu dvd and on the disc pictures under than choose DVD-ROM ISO
    # 34) Make sure it is on "No multisession" and if you want add a label on the label screen (a label is what you would like it to be called for example GTA San Andreas)
    # 35) After all that, click on the burn tag
    # 36) Once there, I would recommend that you choose the minimum burn settings as well as enable simulation and obviously burning
    # 37) Click on "New" and for some reason I think you have to re-do everything differently...
    # 38) Click File, Open then find the .iso thing (if you followed my instructions, it should be on the desktop)
    # 39) Make sure on the top left of that mini screen, DVD image is selectec (not CD image)
    # 40) Choose your burn settings (I would choose the slowest and best which is to check simulate, burn, finalize and choose the slowest burn speed possible...
    # 41) Once it is burning, on the bottom left, it says "verify written data and there is a box next to it...click on that box, you should see a check mark appear...now it will make sure wheter it burned perfectly (every little bit of data burnt exactly the same as the original (iso on hdd)

Can someone tell a mod to sticky this for me? I don't know who they are...

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2006
  2. paul1085

paul1085 Regular member

To be honest mate I can't see an awful lot of people making this work you'll want to edit these points into it also;

on the XBOX goto system settings,
    Static IP ON,
    ip Address ANY NUMBER BUT MAKE SURE THAT YOU WRITE IT DOWN so as that you use this address in FlashFXP to connect,
    Subnet mask SAME AS THE ONE THAT YOU SPECIFIED ON PC,
    Defdault gateway SAME AS ONE ON PC,
    If there is no IP address showing on the main section of dashboard then there something wrong with either the crossover cable or settings,
    If using Evolution X dashboard when in FlashFXP make sure that passive mode isn't selected,
    And lastly after changing settings both the XBOX and PC most likely will need to be restarted before it will work.

3. s3a

s3a Guest

So...what are you saying, I wrote this how-to with the assumption that nothing goes wrong??

4. paul1085

paul1085 Regular member

What I'm saying is that this guide is missing vital points to be completely FTP Newb free!!!

So I guess your either going to take it litely or take offense either way after that last comment I just don't care!

5. thecog1

thecog1 Member

Guys i can successfully transfer the files etc, but i cant get them to play etc, the games i download i convert them to iso, ( is this correct) them i ftp them successfully , but thats were it ends, any ideas??

6. corp769

corp769 Member

lol i can tell youre a noob.....when you download your game(s) off the internet, you dont convert to iso or anything like that. when you download it, its gonna be in a zip or rar file, extract the game files to a new directory on your desktop (or anywhere else) and then send that directory to your xbox, preferrably in f:\games\[your_new_game]. your dashboard should pick it up.

if it doesnt, then either read the documentation that came with it, or modify the ini file that the dashboard reads.

7. thecog1

thecog1 Member

thanks , just incase how do i modify the ini file in my x box

8. steimy

steimy Active member

well to get the best help you need to provide more information.
    First off though, you know that you can not FTP and ISO to your Xbox and have it work, right?
    You have to extract the ISO with Craxtion4 or Qwix into a folder, then transfer that folder to you Xbox in the games folder which will be either ion F: pr E: depending on how your Xbox was modded.
    http://www.xtreme-source.com/showthread.php?t=686
    Editing the menu's depends on what dashboard you have. If it is EvoX then it will be a file called EvoX.ini
    if it is unleashX then it will be config.xml
    http://www.xtreme-source.com/showthread.php?t=626&highlight=edit
    there are also lots of tutorials here but you will have to look through a bunch and find the one on editing INI files or editing dashboards
    http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox-tutorials.php

9. s3a

s3a Guest

I just realized that...I didnt mention how to burn games...

Well I'll add it later on....a how to burn with nero part...

10. celedone

celedone Member

Hi guys!! I am very new to this stuff and im very much interested. I try to follow of what you have discus and read some of the related forum but then it result the same problem as stated :
    Im using crossover cable, FlashFXP, EvoX. Please help me to do this!!! Thanks....

PC Settings
    IP Adress:192.168.0.1
    Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway:it should only have three dots.

FlashFXP
    Server or Url:" type in 192.168.0.100
    User Name:xbox
    Password : xbox

Xbox Setting

IP Adress:192.168.0.1
    Default Gateway:0.0.0

11. celedone

celedone Member

Is there any setting on the FlashFXP?
    Is it ok to use the evaluation copy for the FlashFXP?
    I Disable the Firewall already. Pls. help me on this.. Thanks!!!
    I try also this setting but it doesnt work.

PC Settings
    IP Adress:192.168.0.2
    Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1

FlashFXP
    Server or Url:" type in 192.168.0.3
    User Name:xbox
    Password : xbox

Xbox Setting
    IP Adress:192.168.0.3
    Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1

Message Display :

FlashFXP v3.3.9 build 1135 [RC3 RELEASE]
    Support Forums at http://forum.inicom.net

WinSock 2.0 -- OpenSSL 0.9.8b 04 May 2006
    [R] Connecting to 192.168.0.3 -> IP=192.168.0.3 PORT=21
    [R] Connection failed (Connection timed out)
    [R] Delaying for 120 seconds before reconnect attempt #1
    [R] Connecting to 192.168.0.3 -> IP=192.168.0.3 PORT=21 (attempt # 1)
    [R] Connection failed (Connection timed out)
    [R] Delaying for 120 seconds before reconnect attempt #2

Last edited: Jun 7, 2006
  12. thekingo7

thekingo7 Regular member

Okay I'm positive I have already seen two other guides exactly the same as this (correct me if I'm wrong). Plus they did a better job of it.
    And they have already been stickied.

13. jackyboy2

jackyboy2 Member

Ok so i have used some many different ways of doing this on none is working. I am using a PC connected to a HUB wireless and then my xbox with a stright cable into the hub. i did manage to get connected and FTP but it cut of every ten mins or so. I then messed around with the settings and now it won't transfer any files.

my computers IP is 192.168.0.4
    Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway 192.168.0.1

any help of what settings i need to use on my xbox would be greatly appricated. Sorry for asking just tried so many ways of doing it and it's still not perfect.

Cheers

14. questionb

questionb Guest

s3a: i have a question, i followed your steps, accept i didnt get what you mean open my xbox, i just connected it to my pc and turned it on, but when i try and connect, it times out and doesnt connect to my xbox, i dont know if i have a crossove, i just run an ethernet cable from the back of my moden to the back of my xbox and thats how i get online and whatnot, but in adition, if needed i have a hub, and some connecter cables for say connecting xboxes for a lan, should i use those or will the ethernet cable work? so how do i solve this problem,so i can get my maps from xbox to my pc?? please help.thanks

15. celedone

celedone Member

Im so sorry about this. I would like to address this issue to the seniors or anyone who had experience this matter. Any opinion and information would be highly appreciated.
    This is inline to the problem i encounter which i mentioned above, that i currently waiting for any solution.

1. Is there any setting on the FlashFXP? Or it remains as is after intallation? If theres any pls. provide as.
    2. Is it ok to use the evaluation copy of the FlashFXP? Or must secure the Beta release.
    3. Is this applicable to all modified xbox eg. EVOX
    4. What is mean by Dashbooard?
    5. Any particular of LAN card, brand or whatever.
    6. Any specific setting for IP adress, Subnet Mask and Gateway?

Thank you very much.........

16. s3a

s3a Guest

To questionb: by open your xbox I meant boot it or turn it on (I should change this because ppl might think they have to physically open it) First of all is your xbox modded? (softmod or chip, no matter) if not then you cant ftp...second of all I think the lan cables for connecting to xbox's should be right althought I am not sure but if that cable doesnt work...dont panic..a short crossover cable (brand new) is only 3$ (canadian) where I live so imagine in US dollars, you could probably get it for like 2$ or something...an ethernet cable WILL NOT work (even for X-link) because what x-link is really, is that it ftp's to pc then from pc the internet goes to xbox...leave the maps for later...first get the ftp part right...

P.S. Tell me if your ftp was now succesful knowing this basic (no offense) information...
    3)I think it is compatible with all modded xbox's (im 99.99% sure)
    4)A dashboard is a the Menu...the microsoft dashboard is that menu with the green backround and the modded dashboard...I think is different all the time so, I think that answers your question
    5)No brand specifications but I would recommend d-link
    6)Yes there is...havent you read by first post???

To both questionb and celedone:
    PM me if you want further assistane (live assistance) on msn...

17. anthonyd3

anthonyd3 Guest

thx for da help =)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2006
  18. celedone

celedone Member

Thank you very much s3a....

19. mas_xbox

mas_xbox Member

Hi S3A, very usefull forums, but i stil got a problem of not understanding this..yes call me a noobie but help me please !!!

i have tried ftping to my xbox using Qwix and Flash Fxp , no GO with both application..i followed the step by step instructions..
    i used a cross over cable.. i change the TCP/IP settings in the LAN properties. it is connection to my xbox..it show that LAN is connected..but when i come to use flash Fxp it keeps timing out..so it doesnt let me upload my games..i have a moded xbox.. not sure what dashboard as i just bought it from a friend..
    I tried to disable the Win Firewall, i tried connecting my xbox to the router and then using qwix to upload..nothing worked.
    my connections keeps getting timed out.. i used all sort of method and i am about to hammer my xbox with a 20kg hammer(yes very annoying and frustrating) please do you have any advice..
    now my xbobx Ip and stats are

IP : 192.168.8.139
    default Gateway : 255.........
    ftp enable ==== yes
    all my setting are correct..but for some reason i just cannont upload games.. any special tricks needed which i need to know about..
    i turn on the xbox..mod chip on , i check my settings..everything seems ok..when i come to use flash fxp or Qwix then i either get FTP connection Timedout error ...or connected failed..
    please help!!!!

20. s3a

s3a Guest

mas_xbox,I think when you followed my instructions you typed exactly what I have said on flashfxp...well from what I see you have a different xbox ip than me...so type in that ip in flashfxp instead of what I said on my first post...if you got any more problems...just reply...