1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Realmedia playback

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by ernief, May 25, 2006.

1. ernief

ernief Member

I have xp operating system. When I try to play a realmedia file my computer freezes and reboots. I have run every antivirus known to man and come up clean. It doesn't matter wheather I am using realmedia player or mediaplayer classic. I also have real alternative to see if it would make a difference but the same story. I've reformatted several times but that hasn't made a difference. It doesn't do that with every rm file but I can never tell until I start the file playback. Very frustrating. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

2. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Well the problem with proprietary formats like real is that there is only one decoder. MPC uses the decoder from Real Player and Real Alt is just the decoder from real player. Same for any other solution such as mplayer. It still uses dll's from real.

Still, real's decoder works fine here and I have never heard of anyone else having issues with it.

Try mplayer and see if it causes the same problems.

3. ernief

ernief Member

Thanks for the reply. Wll give it a try.