AfterDawn Forums

PS2 Slimline guide: external USB hard drive & game playing (NO CHIP REQ'D)

This discussion thread has 541 messages.

MasterChu Suspended due non-functional email address
Moving to Langjökull in Iceland - so all the info I posted is moving with me!
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 11 Jun 2007 @ 17:07
▼▼ This topic has 540 answers - they are below this advertisement ▼▼
AfterDawn Advertisement
Great guide MasterChu, gonna go get an external HDD today and try this out!!!

This should help me out(with a chip, though) to format and boot games off a USB hard drive when my PlayStation 2's laser craps out.

Hey, thanks for paying some attention to my work. It makes me proud of what I have done for the PlayStation 2 software modding community(for which I will unfortunately retire from when I get a DMS4 SE Lite in my console). But, man, I haven't got this much attention since when I was maybe in high school.

My console collection: Version 14A PlayStation 2(chipped), Version 7 PlayStation 2, PlayStation(both models), Wii, Gamecube, N64, Super NES(original from US and Japan and Mini), NES(front and top loader)Model 1 & 2 Genesis, Sega CD, Sega 32X, Atari 2600, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Sega Master System(Model 1 and 2), Atari Flashback 1 & 2, FC Twin(2 in 1 NES/Super NES clone), GN Twin(2 in 1 NES/Genesis clone), Atari 7800, Intellivision II, TurboGrafx 16, GameBoy Color
My guides: Cardboard and Straw MOD: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/308926
3-method exploit for PS2s: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/337567
duke69111 Suspended due non-functional email address
You can also use swap magic 3.6 to open the usb advance file.

- Create a folder on your memory stick labeled SWAPMAGIC
- Then rename the usbadvn.elf file to SWAPMAGIC.elf and place it in the SWAPMAGIC folder on the memory stick.
- Then place your memory stick into the ps2 slim usb port and start swap magic 3.6.
- USB Advance should load automatically.
- Then plug in your external hard drive with games and it should show the games on the left side of the screen

I got this to work on mine and I have a PS2 Slim v12.

Hope this helps as it is an alternative to action replay max for loading usbadvance.

If anybody else tries this, Let me know how it works out.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 03 Jun 2006 @ 11:29
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 11 Jun 2007 @ 17:06
The problem I had was after I pluged in my hard drive to my ps2 it never detected my hard drive with the games on it.

Any Ideas?

Thanks
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 11 Jun 2007 @ 17:06
I used step two of your tutorial for formating the hard drive and WinHIIP for transfering the games to the hard drive. I read the help files but was kind of confused.

Do you know where I can find a detailed tutorial on how to use WinHIIP to transfer the games. That might of been my problem.

Thanks
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 10 Jun 2006 @ 22:26
I tried it again and still could not get it to recongnize my hard drive.

Thats ok though, I can just do the DNAS Swap trick and get most of them to work on a ntfs formated hard drive with usb advance.

Thanks for your help,

Duke69111
Hi Master Chu,

I saw your comment on being a mac user. Any ideas on how to get the PS2 to see the hard drive, (using PC) I did all the other steps with great success to this point. Then at that critical moment it refuses to see the HDD. Tried going thru those steps again but alas no luck yet.
Or what's that trick Duke69111?

Thanks!
and now i can't get the max replay to see the usbadvance elf file anymore? what gives?
any ideas?
I don't know anything about max replay, I use usb advance free edition and swap magic 3.6.

USB Advance Free Edition & USB Extreme links - http://www.sksapps.com/index.php?page=hd.html

1 - Follow this Tutorial to format hard drive and put games on hard drive - http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/189177

Use these two awesome guides to do the dnas swap trick before putting games on hard drive to get most dnas games working with usb advance.

2 - This is the how to swap the DNAS images http://uk.geocities.com/bryce_v_s/tutorial.zip courtesy of bryce_v_s

3 - This is the guide for step 4 chapter 3 of how to swap. http://www.exploitstation.com/articles/cdvdgen%20inst.php courtesy of exploitstation.com

You can complete step 5 and skip 6 if you use tutorial 2 and use usbextreme instead of the second part of step seven of the 2nd tutorial.

I have tried six games with this method and all six have worked successfully. When you actually load the game with swap magic and usb advance from your hard drive it may take up to a minute to actually load the game ( Blank Black Screen), just be patient.

Good Luck
Thanks duke...ok let me take one step back and ask you how do you use the usb advance? any info on how to do that step will help a lot. I had it running via chu's method above, except the hdd recognition. sounds like we had the same problem. now I can't even get that far.
thx again.
Are you using max replay or Swap Magic?

If you are usings max replay, I am not sure, but I am thinking that you could use MasterChu's way, but you would have to copy the USBADVN.ELF file onto the external hardrive with your games, and have the the harddrive plugged into the ps2 before you start it up. This means that there would be no memory stick needed.

If you are by chance using swap magic let me know and I will give you directions from their.

Try this and let me know.
lanewbie Suspended account
Datel Action Replay MAX EVO Edition-

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6786793&type=produc...

or this

Datel Action Replay MAX

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7035406&type=produc...

sorry dont have much knowledge in this. Tell me which one i need to make this work MasterChu please
lanewbie,

If you are going to spend the money, Personally I think you should get the latest edition of Swap Magic, This will allow you to play back up copies on DVD-R + run usbadvance from a external harddrive. There are some programs out there that can play mp3 and movies through swap magic. I am also able to play roms from some older systems like the snes.

But if you are wanting all of the additional features like codes, MP3 music, MPEG movies and even retro games then you should probably go with Datel Action Replay MAX EVO Edition but you will not be able to play back up copies that are burned on DVD-r.

Anyways either copy of the action replay should work. Under step one of MasterChu's tutorial he has listed that he uses:

- Action Replay MAX for PS2

But you are more than welcome to wait for a response from MasterChu.

I looked on a few sites and I think you can get Action Replay Max cheaper on other sites. buy.com currently has Action Replay Max Evo Edition for 34.99.

Good luck
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 20 Jun 2006 @ 14:22
lanewbie Suspended account
thank u so much but i think i will wait for MasterChu's just to make sure which one because im confused but u were a great help thank you very much
Hello

Thanks for a nice and simple guide for PS2 slim versions

Can you please tell me

I was unable to find Action replay max CD at my area (India)

Can you tell me if I can download it from some place or any alternative ?

Thanks for your help
duke/masterchu

I'm following the steps with the ARMAX and the USB stick to have the exploit load of the usbadvn file. the PSTwo is not recognizing the usb stick or the usb hdd.
original issue was once usb advance is up it wouldn't see the HDD.

After tweaking and powering down, ARMAX no longer see the usbadvance file on the mem stick. are you saying to load it directly to the HDD instad or what should i do to diagnos this now
Ok I'm back up to the USB advance running via ARMAX again. I edited my usb stick and reloaded. apparently the PSTwo dropped some unknown folder that prevents it from reading the elf.usbadvance file.
However I can't get it to see the HDD.

Note: its the final fantasy HDD or the official sony drive. since its in the PS2 format I did not go and edit it. Is that the critical step, or is it the jumper in the back i need to move? thoughts comments please...thx again in advance. You guys are super on here.
SO yes the usb stick with usbadvance and replay max works. just need to get the final step and viola success.
@ 1maxxfan

I'm not sure how MasterChu got usbadvance to recognize the external hard drive, but that is where I am stumped. I have been doing some reading on usbadvance and I am starting to think that a ps2 formated hard drive can not be recognized by usbadvance. I have already formated my hard drive back to ntfs, but I have one last thought:

Try plugging the ps2 formated hard drive into usb port 1 and the usb stick into usb port 2 and then try to load them. Maybe they both have to be plugged in at the same time at start up.

Let us know if this works, If not I am out of ideas for now.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 20 Jun 2006 @ 20:33
@ hawkps2

There is a link out there called PS2_action_replay_max_evo_april_2006_upgraded_PAL_NTSC. Try searching google for this, the only problem is there is currently no seeders and it says bad data from tracker - not a valid bencoded string.

There is also another one called actionreplaymax.nrg, but it is stuck at 40.4%.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 20 Jun 2006 @ 20:51
I found a link, I was unable to find it by searching google, but msn search had working results.

1 - Search MSN for PS2_action_replay_max_evo_april_2006_upgraded_PAL_NTSC

2- Click on the first result

3- Scroll to the bottom and click on Release page

4- On the next page that pops up, Scroll down towards the bottom and it will give you the link.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 23 Jun 2006 @ 6:07

PS2 V12 Slim Edition
Swap Magic 3.6 & usbadvance
Maxator 300GB
This discussion thread has been automatically closed, as it hasn't received any new posts during the last 180 days. This means that you can't post replies or new questions to this discussion thread.

If you have something to add to this topic, use this page to post your question or comments to a new discussion thread.