1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MP4 PLAYER NOT PLAYING VIDEOS "FORMAT ERROR"

Discussion in 'Portable audio players' started by tonedee, Jun 3, 2006.

1. tonedee

tonedee Member

I purchased a chinese IPOD knockoff 1G,every thing works fine except playing a AMV video ,using the AMV converter the avi and mpeg files convert and play fine on the PC when I run it on the mp4 player it plays for a few seconds then it comes up with a format error the settings are 128 x 128 wich it should be for the screen size any help would be great

2. dobby23

dobby23 Guest

I think its just a fake ipod thing 'cause i bought a 2 gb mp4 knockoff nano and it wont play my converted amv files either....

3. tonedee

tonedee Member

I finally got it working I had to change the amv software to ver. 3.68

4. JTS1234

JTS1234 Member

I think also it is a knock off problem, might as well just buy a player from a store locally, at least that way you can return it when ever you want to. I have problems with mine and cant figure it out.

"I bought one of these china MP4 digital players, a Nano knock off, 2 gb. I just want to play music. I sync'd it with my windows media player (11) and had problems. I tried to just cut and paste, still problems. I tried just puting MP3's on it and still problems.

The problem is if i load more then 10 to 12 songs, after the 10 or 12th song it says format error and shuts off. I tried different songs, still does it. If i put less the 10 songs it's fine. I tried to Format it, didnt help. When i put 50 some songs on it at first it only used maybe a quarter of the space.

I just cant figure out what the problem is. Any one know? "

5. hUnIBuNi

hUnIBuNi Member

tonedee.. how did you get it to work and convert it to amv files??

6. kcdc30

kcdc30 Regular member

tonedee is correct, do not upgrade your mp3 player utility. mp3 player utilities 3.68 is the only version that worked for me. the newer version created videos that would not work.

7. Jack101

Jack101 Member

I would not call it knockoff. Quite a few different kind of MP4s appeared in Chinese market much earlier than IPOD launched its own MP4. I bought one recently and found that the amv software version is related to its firmware version. In my case, the 4.0 version works. I saw one in a local store here with exactly the same look and functions except for a US brand. It costs three times as much as the one I bought.

8. animalz

animalz Guest

I had the axact same problem and these instructions fixed it:

This guide is for you if:

1. You've bought a mpx player larger than 2 GigaBytes capacity (eg 4GB, 8GB, 60GB, etc). Not limiting to larger than 2GB, smaller capacity (eg 512MB, 1GB, etc) players are also subjected to possible memory hacks.
    However, recently i've realised that the Actions chipset does support upto 4GB (2x2GB). Also, there were some unconfirmed news of genuine 4GB players.
    2. You just bought a new player.
    3. You are experiencing "Format Error" messages when adding or accessing music/videos on your player.
    4. You are experiencing frequent Player Restarts (hanging on the hourglass) when playing certain songs.
    5. Your player duplicates the music/video files that you add to it.
    6. Your player does not allow you to move/delete files that you have copied to it.

If you fit any one of the above (or even all), then this guide is for you.

Why you should format:

1. Not formatting will only cause you ALOT of trouble and hassels in the future.
    2. Not formatting increases the chance of killing your player in future, and you will need to perform the "Dead Player Recovery".
    3. Ensures that what you have bought, is of the actual memory capacity.
    4. If it is a gift for someone, you don't want them to come back to you with the above mentioned problems.

Common Myths regarding this formatting procedure:

1. You will not lose any firmware/theme related files.
    2. You will not accidentally kill your player whilst doing so (unless you unplug or disconnect your player during the format process).

On completion of this guide, should you end up with lesser memory than what you have paid for, it would be recommended to contact your seller for a full refund.

Also, take a minute to fill in an online petition against eBay, Paypal and fraudalent sellers who knows about this problem, but persists to trade with such fraud items for monetary gains.

http://www.mympxplayer.org/petition-stop...ay--vt3442.html

Every signature plays a significant factor, the more signatures we have, the better chance of eBay shutting down such sellers permanantly.

STEP 1
    Back Up All Your Data Before Proceeding! This Guide Will Clear Everything In Your Player's Memory Chip!

Install MP3 Utilities, any version will do. It usually comes on the CD with the player, or you can download version 3.68
    Here, or version 4.03 Here, or version 4.05 Here. Any one of these will do. The Disk Tool Utility is the same.

STEP 2
    Start up MP3 Utilities Disk Tool.
    You will be shown a screen like this:

Ensure that you select LOW Format Type.

Next, go to the Partition and Encrypt tab as shown below.

Now, slide the Partition Slider all the way to the Right.
    You will notice the "Setting encrypted disk capacity" increases, it is normal.IMPORTANT.IF YOUR MP4 PLAYER IS LIKE 2GB OR MORE MAKE SURE THE PARTITION AND ENCRYPT TAB WHEN YOU INCREASE IT SAYS YOUR PLAYERS MEMORY.FOR EXAMPLE.IF YOU HAVE A 4GB MP4 PLAYER AND YOU ARE SLIDING THE PARTITION AND ENCRYPT TAB MAKE SURE THAT WHEN THE NUMBER INCREASES IT SAYS SOMETHING LIKE 4000MB.IF IT DOESN'T DO THIS DO NOT REPEAT DO NOT DO THIS ENTIRE PROCESS.

*NOTE* Ensure That You Do Not Click The "Set Username And Password", Leave It UNTICKED.

Next, click on Start to begin the format and partition process. You will be presented with a dialog box like below, click on Yes to proceed.

It will take a few moments for the process to complete. You will notice that your player would disconnect from the computer, and then re-connect back again.

You will be presented with the "Complete setting disk partition!" dialog box like below.

STEP 3
    Go to My Computer and check that now you will two memory drives for your player. You might need to click Refresh or press F5.

One of which would be small (about 17MB), and the other would be the remaining memory capacity.
    *note* it seems that some members reported that they do not see this extra drive appearing. Do not worry if it does not appear, just continue to proceed with the guide.

Now, go back to the Partition and Encrypt tab.
    Slide the Partition slider to the Left, and click on Start.

You will repeat the process and the "Complete setting disk partition!" dialog box would appear.

Check in My Computer that now you will only have One single memory drive for your player. Right click on it and select Properties, this is your actual real memory capacity.

Now check your player's Memory Info for the correct memory display.
    To access this, go to your player's SYS TOOL >> MEMORY INFO.
    Your player should display the actual memory size that you have just checked.
    Check if the percentage is at 0%. If it is, you can skip Step 4 below, and continue to Step 5.

STEP 4
    If your player's Memory Info does not show 0%, you will need to complete the below procedure.

Right click on your player's memory drive, and select Format.

Now a new windows format screen would appear.

Select FAT in the File System dropdown menu.
    If after completing Step 3, your player really does have 4GB of memory, then you need to select FAT32 instead. As FAT only supports upto 2GB.
    Click on Start to begin on the format process.

A warning will appear for the format, click on OK to continue.

Wait for a few moments while Windows formats your player.
    When completed, check your player's Memory Info again, it should display 0% now.

STEP 5
    Once completed, sit back and start copying music/video files to your player and enjoy your stuff!

9. ejbaca03

ejbaca03 Member

Hi, I followed your steps, but now my MP4 only shows that is has 1GB instead of 4GB. What do I do to get it back to 4GB?

10. Jon666Jon

Jon666Jon Member

Hey Yea i Have a MP4 nano ...it is 1GB an i cant play my music anymore it says Format error. it plays for lik a second...an i delted all my music an stuff and now i can only add on like 6 songs on it..it says i only have 53.8 KB'S left? Is there away i can get my 1 GB back?????

11. dilenjak

dilenjak Member

12. turnerc

turnerc Member

regarding cheap 4Gb MP4 players

Mines a wilson

I bought 2 off ebay - both went wrong - wouldnt play for more than a few minutes - file errors etc.

Interesting that I couldnt use my WinME machine to put files on but XP woould.

I used the MP3 utilities (4.05) to reformat the drive as described by animalz above - and it seems to work OK thanks animalz

at first it said 4 GB now after formatting it says 1GB so it looks like I have a fake hacked clone - but then again I only paid £20 so what do you want (think of it as a 1GB memory stick that plays video)!

AMV converter usually works - if it doesnt try converting your file to another format (AVi - > Mpeg) then convert

13. vake05

vake05 Guest

Hi I have an Ipod that has the firmware of an MP3 and it has 8Gb but i have to formated it to be able to put my videos. Since idid that My space shucked to 468MG. Where did the rest of the other space go. Can someone help me get it back plz. If you can i can tell you have to put the video on to the MP3 that you can't put it. Everyone wins. If you know anything plzs email me at musicking3@hotmail.com.

14. vake05

vake05 Guest

hey animalz

"Now, slide the Partition Slider all the way to the Right.
    You will notice the "Setting encrypted disk capacity" increases, it is normal.IMPORTANT.IF YOUR MP4 PLAYER IS LIKE 2GB OR MORE MAKE SURE THE PARTITION AND ENCRYPT TAB WHEN YOU INCREASE IT SAYS YOUR PLAYERS MEMORY.FOR EXAMPLE.IF YOU HAVE A 4GB MP4 PLAYER AND YOU ARE SLIDING THE PARTITION AND ENCRYPT TAB MAKE SURE THAT WHEN THE NUMBER INCREASES IT SAYS SOMETHING LIKE 4000MB.IF IT DOESN'T DO THIS DO NOT REPEAT DO NOT DO THIS ENTIRE PROCESS. "

Thats what you put. In the red what would happen if you went with it?

15. Esam123

Esam123 Member

PLEASE SOMEONE tell me what to do when the hourglass still appearing and never go

i'll appreciate it THANKS

16. Esam123

Esam123 Member

BTW mine is an MP4 (8GB) not mp3

17. bulldogz

bulldogz Guest

If your mp4 player has shrinked it means that your player was hacked and wasn't really the size you thought it was.So if it has shrinked then it was for the good.

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2007
  18. deepak4x

deepak4x Member

19. sowhatu

sowhatu Guest

i did this, the mp3 transfer works... BUT the sound volume is way too low.
    even when i manually increase it to the max of "31" i can still barely hear mp3's or even the radio.

is there a fix for this?

this mp3/4 player was for a friends kid, i would never buy one for myself from ebay.

20. Esam123

Esam123 Member

maybe it's an earphones problem , try to change your earphones or headphones