1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Doing a little research helps!!!

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by shademand, Jun 4, 2006.

1. shademand

shademand Regular member

Seems that everday I read a request where someone asks "Can you provide me with a tutorial" the answer in most cases is YES, but a simple view of the first threads in each forum quite often reveals the very same tutorial being requested, if I can find it or notice it, I think why couldn't this person.

I often wonder if Google only seems to work with my web browser or on my PC. I read questions like "could someone explain how I setup a samba share" and I think, instead of posting that question here within the forum wouldn't it make sense for them to google "how to create a samba share" Or do they want someone else to do their homework for them?

I suggest that before you attempt to mod an Xbox that at the very least you do a little research and reading on your own. It only makes sense that one should try to learn the main components of an Xbox and the purpose of certain apps and programs.

My first attempt at modding an Xbox I followed a tutorial, it was fairly well written. It provided instructions on how to completely disassemble an Xbox. A few lines after the instructions for disassembling the Xbox completely, it said "you only need to remove the Xbox's HDD and DVD-Rom drive if you have brand X chip" then I realized this meant I had wasted all my time, drawing diagrams and taking notes on everything that I had done; when all I initially had to do was take out the hard drive and the dvd-rom drive and put in the chip, I had taken a process that may had taken 30 mins and made it into 2 hr project. (I can do all that in 5 mins now but my first modchip install took me forever) I will admit I was upset at first but then as I thought about it, had I bothered to read up on what I was doing I would have discovered that I did not need to completely disassemble my Xbox. After that experience I went to Barnes & Nobles bookstore sat down and started reading every book I could find about the Xbox over the course of 2 or 3 evenings I learned a lot. What I am trying to say here is, if you wanna tinker with your Xbox make an effort to learn about it first most bookstores will let you read the book in the store but buy a coffee/smoothie or something! to keep from being a total leech read "Hacking the Xbox" or "The Black Art of Xbox Mods", what have you got to lose? besides time but it will be time well spent...

Last edited: Jun 4, 2006
  2. shademand

shademand Regular member

And yet still another day of answering simple questions from people allergic to researching yet filled with questions!

3. tocool4u

tocool4u Guest

Yes well....Altough you took the time to write this up....Unfortuantenly(SP).......There are people that are still going to do it....Regarding this post or not....Some people are not as console litterate as us..LOL.....So instead i would just help them out with there question no matter what......I mean some people come on the forums and ask for help....Not to be told to google all the time.....You should tell them to use the Search function or help them out.....
    Just my opinion on the topic.....Unfortuanently i guess everybody just has to deal with it....Like everything in life!

4. shademand

shademand Regular member

The search function on here hasn't worked for sometime now so thats not an option anymore. I hear you but my point here is I was never employed by Microsoft and had to learn about the Xbox by reading and doing a bit of research and trial and error. While I am happy to assist because I am more or less use to it, I do computer and network support all day for a living but some questions are derived out of sheer laziness, the time it takes for some people to type out their question here they could have done the same through any search engine and if someone can't understand basic instructions then perhaps they should not be tinkering with their Xbox in the first place. You can't say that when someone asks "how can I burn a game to my HDD" and they have a modded Xbox but didn't know what DVD2Xbox is for especially when it says it right on the main screen, thats the kinda thing I am speaking of here. But have no fear I am here to help I just like helping those who have at least attempted to help themselves a bit better. Its one thing for a member to say I went to such and such website, read up on this but I still do not understand what to do here; as opposed to just asking "someone give me a tutorial on how to change the color of my front LED light". Thats just my two cents on the matter here...

Last edited: Jun 7, 2006
  5. thekingo7

thekingo7 Regular member

Damn Skippy!