1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's OK but I'd recommend an Arctic Freezer 64 Pro for any K8.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835185125

It's better than my Zalman, and that can cool my X2 to 47C under full load. Bearing in mind that Spire could only cool a low-end single core to 47C under full load, the Zalman is significantly better, and that Arctic better still, and it's cheap!

2. Niobis

Niobis Active member

Sorry to interupt anything but, here's a noobish question for you guys. I've been searching everywhere for this and have found no anwsers.

Can I overclock my Intel Pentium M? I mean is it possible? Been reading alot on OC'ing and it seems an Intel mobo can't be overclocked but, does that also mean I can't overclock my processor?

If so can someone tell me where to start...something to search using Google...a link? Anything will be of great help.

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I've not looked into OCing laptops much. The power consumption goes up, and with a battery that could cause some major problems. Intel boards aren't great for overclocking, but if I remember rightly you may be able to change the multiplier on your CPU.

4. Niobis

Niobis Active member

I'm not really worried about the battery as I have almost made this thing a desktop. I never take it anywhere. But, incase I want to can I "un-clock" it. :)

How can I go about learning how to do that?

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Have a read through this thread! However, the BIOS is a good place to start.

6. Niobis

Niobis Active member

Not all of it. It's a big thread! :)

As for the BIOS, it's what I would call, locked. There's really nothing there except for some minor changing options: Date, Time, IDE Config, Boot Settings and Power Settings.

Again, can overclocking be reversed? If not, I'll give up even trying. ;)

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yes of course, you can change things back. If the BIOS is locked up tight (and I'd expect that of a laptop, especially if it's a major brand one) then you're looking at perhaps a software application to do it.

8. Niobis

Niobis Active member

Oh, so it can be unlocked. I read somewhere it could not be because it was an Intel mobo. Could you recommend any (safe) apps?

I'll read through this thread later tonight to see if I can come up with any links or other help.

Thanks for the info!

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'm not saying the BIOS can be unlocked, it might be, but it's definitely a possiblity to use a software program to do the overclocking for you.

10. charb

charb Member

hi guys, i was woundering if i would be able to upgrade my BIOS so i can increase the bus speed? i have is set now to the max of 1.5*300= 450Mhz bus. i want to be able to get to 533 or more if possible.
    thanx alot

P.S my multiplyer is locked at 1.5 so i'm stuck whith the megaherz tuning

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

A bus speed multiplier? That's unfamiliar ground for me, I've not heard of such a thing, unless you mean a processor speed. A BIOS update may be available but having 1.25GB of RAM, a spartan power supply, and an ECS motherboard are ALL weak points for stability and would limit how far you can go with an overclock.

12. charb

charb Member

dam...lol, so basacaly i should wait unil i have enough and buy a comp wih all flagship parts so that i can begin some serious overclocking...ok

P.S
    i know my comp getto, but thats why i'm trying to gain as much juice as i can; i dont feal like buying now, maby after vista

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If you removed the 256MB stick of RAM and just left it at 1GB you'd do better in terms of overclocking performance, but that PSU and motherboard just don't lend themselves to overclocking.

14. charb

charb Member

Yes my friend, i removed the 256mb ram stick and it allowed me to overclock the 1g ram stick to 533 from 400. i'm probably going to get some of that duel chanel DDR ram, for better performance and overclocing next time i c some on sale. thanx alot

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Precisely, you really need Dual channel RAM for good overclocks. 33% is pretty good considering what you have, well done.

16. s3a

s3a Guest

The Intel 805 CPU has great overcloking potential meaning if overclocked it can surpass my current CPU (Intel 630) in clock speed, right? Not to mention, it has 2 cores unlike my 630! Should I exchange my 630 for a 805?

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

To be quite honest, there won't be a great deal in the single-core performance, you can get 3.6 from a prescott 3.0 and about 3.6ish from a D805 (without going seriously overboard) so you end up with two times the processor, but at a similar speed. the D805 runs very hot, so make sure you've got loads of cooling, but it's doable.

18. s3a

s3a Guest

It is not really the clock speed that concerns me much anymore but the FSB speed. Why? Well...because, I don't really know what FSB is and does. Does it have anything to do with RAM's clock speed or am I totally off?

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Right, the speeds of components brief hashed-together guide:

Base Front side bus speed: Comes in three flavours, 133mhz, 166mhz and 200mhz. The second of those isn't very commonly used any more, except for say mobile applications.
    Memory speeds employ DDR (Double data rate) technology so with those FSB speeds, you have 266, 333 or 400mhz memory which you may have seen (PC2100, PC2700, PC3200). In older systems this also applied for front-side-buses, they were also 266,333,400 because they were 2x the base speed.
    Now in modern Intel systems, the FSB is 4x the base speed, so 533, 666 and 800mhz, which you may have seen. D805 and the likes use 533, and high end stuff uses 800, and some 1066 (8x the 133mhz bus). This is one of the reasons the D805 overclocks so well, it's actually a 4.0Ghz 800mhz chip (20x multiplier) but used on a 133mhz base-bus.

Now, onto multipliers. CPUs have various multipliers of the base speed. An Athlon64 X2 4200+ like mine has an 11x Multiplier, 11 times a 200mhz base speed to make 2.2Ghz. This principle has been around for ages.
    AMD processors however use hypertransport, a variable multiplier of the base bus speed, usually 200mhz. Normally set to 4 (for 800mhz bandwidth old boards/CPUs) or 5 (for 1000mhz bandwidth new boards/CPUs). The hypertransport is also double-sided, so it's 1000mhz each way, making 2000mhz. Confusing isn't it?
    The good thing about hypertransport is that, although it's unstable above 1000, if you overclock by 25%, you can drop to a 4x, and still have the bus speed at 1000.

20. ragolis

ragolis Member

Does anyone know how to overclock a phoenix award bios and what option to use to access the features which would allow me to overclock my mainboard is an fic am39l with a via chipset any help much appreciated and the processor is amd athlon xp 2600 1.92ghz