1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it possible to make a 8 hour DVD.

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by kuffain, Jun 5, 2006.

1. kuffain

kuffain Member

Hi everyone, i have some video files insize of 200MB each, 8 total, each run for 1 hour. I am trying to put all of these 8 videos all in one single DVD, for a run time of 8 hours. So is it possible to do that, if yes what software will enable me too do that.

-Thank You

2. SOCOMII

SOCOMII Regular member

Are you trying to make it so that it can play in a standalone dvd player .vob? I dont think you can fit this much on one dvd (especially if its single layered) without huge quality loss if it is even possible at all.

If quality is not an issue I think you could though do it with 2 dvds using inter video windvd creator because it has an option for 240 min per dvd.

3. TAshkar18

TAshkar18 Member

I think it's possible with DVD Shrink, but like stated above, loss of quality is going to be a big problem

4. Cobrajet

Cobrajet Regular member

Maybe my math is all wrong, don't think so, but sure, (8) 200MB files will fit on a 4.7GB DVD disc. Adds to 1.6GB. If they are 200MB files at one hour each, sounds like the quality is already pretty bad to start with.

Are these .avi files?

5. SOCOMII

SOCOMII Regular member

Ya i dont think he wanted to put them on as data but as dvd compliant material, And ya 200mb for one hour sounds like not the best quality even as well compresed XviD.

6. Jigen

Jigen Regular member

It is possible, although I've only put 6 hours and change on one personally. If DVD Shrink could shrink this down without multiple passes, it would look like ass, so don't bother. I used TMPGEnc and encoded all the files myself, and used 352x480 (1/2 D1) for resolution.
    This was pretty watchable. I'd say at least good as I was used to with video tape. Better than the 6 hour option offered by DVD recorder for sure. Eight hours I think is too much. It's certainly getting to the point were you'd be better off just using another disc and putting 4 hours on each, or using three discs and putting 2 1/2 on each. Not sure what you pay for discs, but for me it's worth burning the extra 30¢ discs if the material is worth keeping.

7. SOCOMII

SOCOMII Regular member

Well said Jigen
    I presume when you did it with 6 hours with tmpgENC it was around VCD quality, maybe a little bit better?

8. kuffain

kuffain Member

Hi.

I know everyone is giving there best advice, but to me the quality is not a main concern, I just don’t want it to get worse, and yes I want it to play on a standard DVD player on TV.

[bold]Cobrajet:[/bold] you got exactly what I was thinking of, but I just don’t know how to do it, for a dvd its not the matter of the size, like you said it sums upto 1.5GB or so, but I was worried about the runtime of 8 hour. That if there is a limit for a DVD run time. And yes these are .AVI files

[bold]Jigen:[/bold] Thanks for your advice to, I can easily make 4 dvds with no problem, but I have to make all these files on a single sided dvd, if it is possible to do so. Cost in not a concern here.

thank you for all giving ur advices, but i am not done yet, i am still seraching for an answer on how to do this project. If any one knows and have an idea, please reply. Many thanks.

-Thank You

Last edited: Jun 12, 2006
  9. Jigen

Jigen Regular member

Use this calculator: http://www.videohelp.com/calc.htm

According to this, you can use a bitrate of 1041kbit/s, and this will allow 8 hours of video per single layer disc. My expectations is that your video will look horrible, but it's your project, so I will respect your desire to see it done.
    Now that you have the proper bitrate you can use this in your encoder to create files that will fit as you desire.