1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laserdisc to DVD

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by kzm007, Jun 8, 2006.

1. kzm007

kzm007 Regular member

Hello- Anyone remember laserdiscs? Oh, yes we do! I was shuffling through my closet and found a whole box of them. I thought they were vinyl 'cause it was dark, but they were too heavy. I knew instantly when I pulled one out of the sleeve. Hard to believe we went from those to DVD, huh? But I grow nostalgic...

Is there any way I can hook a laser disc player up to a DVD player and copy it?

If not, how about a laserdisc to a VCR, and then run the tape through a DVD recorder? Thanks. Kegan

2. ireland

ireland Active member

read this and see if this helps ye..

Preserving Your Laserdisc Collection On DVD
    Before the current, immense, popularity of DVD (which has been on the scene for about five years), LaserDisc, which debuted in 1977, was the best format for viewing high-quality pre-recorded video content amongst home theater enthusiasts and film buffs. Despite the lack of strong marketing, a short list of manufacturers, the large size of the discs (12") themselves, and the high cost of both discs and players, several million consumers worldwide are well aware of how LaserDisc paved the way for both the way we enjoy home theater and DVD today.

The LaserDisc Legacy

LaserDisc is historically signifigant in several ways:

1. Although it wasn't the first true disc-based video format (the first disc-based video format (Phonovision) was introduced in the UK in the 30's, followed by CED and VHD in the 70's), LaserDisc provided the best quality image reproduction and garnered acceptance for industrial, insitutional, and home theater use.
    2. LaserDisc was the first video format to bring both film buffs and mainstream consumers widescreen letterbox presentation of films on a regular basis.
    3. The common practice of including extra features on DVDs, such as subtitles, alternate soundtracks, commentaries, and supplementary material was first established as the norm on many LaserDisc releases.
    4. The employment of Dolby Digital 5.1 (which was referred to as AC-3) utilizing digital optical and digital coaxial connections that are common on every DVD player in use today was first introduced in LaserDisc players in the year or so just prior to the introduction of DVD.

The Current LaserDisc Dilemma

Despite all of these "pioneering" advances, however, it must be noted that LaserDisc did not have the strength to wage war against the more compact, economically viable, DVD format. New LaserDisc film releases are now very rare. Even Pioneer, the last producer of LaserDisc players, has finally relented and now produces an excellent assortment of DVD players, relegating LaserDisc to only one production model (excluding Karaoke-equipped units), the DVL-919 which plays both LaserDiscs and DVDs.

With the quick acceptance of DVD by both videophiles and the general consuming public, LaserDisc has fallen by the wayside and is finally on its "death bed" as a viable video format. However, some still have very large LaserDisc collections that will eventually be unplayable. The supply of functioning LaserDisc players will someday "dry up". Since LaserDiscs have to be optically read, there is no mechanical device you can "rig up" to play them like you can play old LP records. However, in an ironic twist of fate, recordable DVD may have arrived on the scene just in time to give LaserDisc owners a means of assisting in the preservation of their collections.

Proceed To Page 2 - Using DVD To Preserve Your Laserdisc Content

go here to read the rest
    http://hometheater.about.com/od/laserdiscced/a/lasertodvd.htm

3. kzm007

kzm007 Regular member

Thanks! This may be it...Kegan