1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVG Free is Mysteriously Showing that BitTorrent is a Virus

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by gogochar, Jun 15, 2006.

1. gogochar

gogochar Guest

This is by far the wierdest false positive in my opinion. When I updated the virus definitions for AVG Free, it shows a dialogue saying that it found a virus. And I looked at it and it says that it found that BitTorrent was the culprit. Now I've been using BitTorrent for over 3 years and I *know* that BitTorrent isn't a virus at all! It also showed me that the Choose Languages dll was a virus. Is anyone else getting this, or do I need to delete it?

2. gogochar

gogochar Guest

Right now, I have it uninstalled, but I don't know how much longer I can take without my dear old BitTorrent. And no, I don't use it for ripping off the RIAA. There just aren't any songs that are coming out on the radio that I like anymore!

3. ringsoft

ringsoft Member

I got the same problem this morning. The AVG signatures updated overnight and I get to my PC this morning to find it's put Bittorrent executable in quarantine and won't allow it to run. I even updated to the latest version of the Bittorrent client, same thing, so I assume it is a false positive from AVG. I just hope they get this sorted for the next version of the signature file.

4. ringsoft

ringsoft Member

I've just downloaded an AVG virus definition update, and Bittorrent is now running again!

I've been checking for AVG updates during the day, and got this one at 3.55pm UK time. Anyone else having Bittorernt problems, check your virus definitions.

5. gogochar

gogochar Guest

Problem solved. I just updated my virus definitions today, and WAM! No more false BitTorrent positive!