1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

media player can't find my iriver on main pc but laptop can

Discussion in 'Portable audio players' started by friktion, Jun 20, 2006.

1. friktion

friktion Member

i just bought a iriver pmc-120 and my desktop computer wont pick it up.. it says "windows media player does not detect a portable device. connect your portable device again, and then try again."

i plug the same one into my shitty laptop and it reads it straight away and im able to transfer some music to it..

would anyone have any idea's on a solution?

thanks for any help

2. nitrous3

nitrous3 Regular member

Maybe you don't have the right Windows Media Player Plugin. Did you try multiple USB Ports in your computer? and did it show up in my Computer?

3. friktion

friktion Member

hi thanks for the reply.. i'm not sure on what plugin i have.. how do u tell and where can u update it?

i had a usb 1.0 tried every port.. and i noticed it needed a usb 2.0 so i went down to the shops and got one of them and plugged it in.. tried every port.. i have other things that run of usb's so i no its not the card i bought.. for it to work on my laptop fine annoys the crap out of me.. maybe your right with the plugin idea but i just don't no where to look to get one.

and it doesn't show up in my computer

4. nitrous3

nitrous3 Regular member

Not sure where to find the plugin's. I'll keep looking though. Thought of another idea do you have the same WMP versions like 10 or 11? Take a look at this:, and did you install the "plays for sure software"?

http://www.iriveramerica.com/support/ums.aspx

Last edited: Jun 30, 2006
  5. friktion

friktion Member

when i plug my usb cable into my pmc it comes up with the "do u want to sync files, or take no action" when i goto my computer.. it doesnt show up so i cant format it etc.. i think that link was for a different music player.. i have WMP 10.. and where or what is "the plays for sure" software?

thanks

6. friktion

friktion Member

i just went to my in laws place and plugged it in there and it worked first go.. so it's got to be something on my computer preventing it from picking it up.. but i dont know what