1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero Burn Speeds

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by san_man, Jun 20, 2006.

1. san_man

san_man Member

I recently purchased 2-100 packs of TDK Print-Ons 16x. (I know, I know...I just really need the printable ones and the 8x have worked great - used about 250-300 previously.)

I haven't been having the best results... I was wondering if it's the burn speeds or if the drive just can't handle these media. My "older" drive seems to handle them alright (Lite-On DVDRW SOHW-1673S installed in IBM NetVista P4 1.6G, 1.5MB RAM, XP Pro) at 8x.

The "newer" drive specs are as follows: TSST corp CD/DVDW TS-H552B (Samsung) installed in a Gateway 838 GM P4 3 GHz, 1.5 G RAM, XP Media 2002.

I have read a lot of threads in the last couple of days, and consensus seems to be that the 16x are not nearly as good as the 8x although both seem to be "good" CMC disks. Many seem to think that these 16x disks really like to burn best not at the absolute lower speeds, but at 8x. Whether or not this is true, I don't know. I'm sure you folks can set me straight.

My problem, then, is this: When burning in Shrink with Nero, the option to use 8x speed is not always there. Always maximum and 16x, 2x, 2.4x, not always 8x. How can I adjust this? I assume there must be a way, and I just don't know it.

Sorry for the long explanation, just didn't want to leave anything out. I hope you can help me, because I suddenly have enough coasters to open a bar!

2. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

Your burner may not support the newer 16X media, Read this and give Gateway a good harrassment like the one fellow did, http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=142505 try updating your firmware Pay careful attention to which model you have.http://www.samsung.com/support/productsupport/download/Model_Select.aspx?type=CD-RW+%2f+COMBO&typecode=14&subtype=DVD-Writer&cmssubtypecode=1404&model=TS-H552B&filetype=UM

Try to code out your TDK media using your Nero CD-DVD speed tool, [Sarcasm]jump in front of a large fast moving bus if CMC MAG AE1 is present in the disk identifier.[/sarcasm] But seriously I have not used TDK media, but if they are CMC MAG disks, you may want to get Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim disks. This thread is long but worth the read.
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/296925

more info from CDFreakas about your drive, may help you out.
    http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=119677&page=3
    Visit CDFreaks and see if you can find anymore info about your drive.
    Hope this helps.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2006
  3. san_man

san_man Member

The drive is for 16x, whether or not I should burn that fast. I really need to know how the heck to adjust the burn speed for Nero, and I guess if I should get a new burner?

I should mention that I did check with Samsung about firmware updates, but they no longer support their product. Gotta love when they do that!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2006
  4. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

Which particular part of Nero are you using, Nero Burning Rom, NeroVision or Nero Express.

5. san_man

san_man Member

I'm using DVD Shrink with the backup target being burned by Nero. I'm not sure which one that would be, but I am burning a DVD-ROM. Also, I should probably mention that the version I'm using is 6.6.0.15.

I hope that answers your question. Let me know.

6. san_man

san_man Member

Anyone? Any more ideas for me? Have I given enough information?

7. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

1) Set Shrink to output .ISO instead of VOBs would be my first recommendation.

2) Burn the .ISO seperately with DVD Decrypter/IMGburn (should have all speed settings)

3) Never [bold]ever[/bold] buy these CMC media again [Ritek G05 printable would be a much better option , although TYs are the best] ;-)

edit for typo: grrr @ laptop keyboard

Last edited: Jun 23, 2006
  8. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Setting the burn speed with Shrink set to auto-burn with Nero is easy enough. After you select "Backup!", the Backup DVD menu opens. Go to the Burn Settings tab and set your burn speed there.

The important thing to remember is that
    you must have the blank in the burner and spun-up before setting the speed.
    This gives Shrink a chance to "look" at the blank and determine which burn speeds are available. Otherwise you are presented with a generic list of speeds.

Burn speeds should generally be set at 1/2 the rated speed of the media. That is just a rule of thumb though. It really depends on the media and your system. I burn 8X T-Ys at 8X for the most part.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2006
  9. MaxBurn

MaxBurn Regular member

Fastfrank said what i was going to say. The blank has to be in the drive for you to get the full burn speed listing. TDK and CMC are some of the worst discs you can get. Some ppl have luck with them, but most ppl do not.
    Here is the firmware list for that drive. If that drive came OEM with the gateway then GA04 is the latest firmware, but if you installed it in the gateway as an upgrade, it looks like TS12 is the latest firmware for that.
    http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?download_id=1911

Here is a blog i have showing burn speeds with and without a disc in the drive:
    http://my.afterdawn.com/maxburn/blog_entry.cfm/695

Last edited: Jun 25, 2006
  10. san_man

san_man Member

Thanks very much, everyone. I [bold]did[/bold] return the disks from whence they came, went out and bought some Verbatims, and some TYs are on their way here.

That said, I sure am glad to know that tip about getting the disk spinning first, and those guides and all your other advice have been very helpful.

I think I might just get myself a new burner, though. This one doesn't seem to be consistant like the Lite-On on my older computer. Maybe I'll just spring for a Plextor... hmmmm...

I have one more question: what would make Nero CD-DVD Speed have different readings on the same disk? Heat or something?