1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

xbox flashing red/green

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by pong3, May 25, 2003.

1. pong3

pong3 Guest

Whats up. I installed my matrix chip and i got the green light to stay on, but the eject button on the xbox is still flashing red/green. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

2. TOPLOADER

TOPLOADER Member

i read somewhere that it had to be in a certain mode to work properly do a search on the net for it or get an executer 2.1 they realy rock m8

3. pong3

pong3 Guest

I tried all the modes, but it still hasn't changed colors. The button is still flashing red/green, and then when i took the chip out, it started to flash orange/green. Did i totally screw it up?

4. EviLAnGeL

EviLAnGeL Guest

Those flashes usually relate to a solder bridge or damaged track or a bad install. But the Matrix is no solder so it's strange. I can only think you damaged something putting it in or did you forget to connect a wire somewhere putting it back together. The XBOX will flash for anything, even if the fan isn't plugged in.

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2003
  5. pong3

pong3 Guest

Evil, now i got the orange/green flashing to stop, but the red/green is still flashing. If the xbox is damaged, do you think i can replace something, or do i have to buy a whole new system?

6. EviLAnGeL

EviLAnGeL Guest

Is the red green flashing with the chip in or out because if it's with the chip in then it could just not be lined up properly or maybe a bad chip or do you have a V1.2 XBOX because the Matrix doesn't work with that version. Have you also filled the LPC holes with solder as this makes the chip easier to install and also have you flashed the chip because the Matrix doesn't come with the BIOS on for legal reasons so you have to flash it before you put it in or it won't work. This is the most common mistake people make trying to install a Matrix without flashing it. And the red/green flashing commonly means either a bad or improperly installed chip or bad or no BIOS. If the flashing is happening with the chip totally out then you may have problems if you can't see any solder bridges (have you even used any solder).

7. pong3

pong3 Guest

I have a version 1.0xbox and I flashed the chip. I didn't solder anything either. When i put the chip in the light is green, but the eject button flashes red/green and even when i took the chip out, the eject button flashed red/green. Also, the dvd rom drive won't open. I got a message on my t.v. that said my xbox needs work. Are there any separate parts i can buy to fix this problem?
    Also, if i replace the hard-drive and dvdrom drive from a v.1.2 xbox will it work in a v.1.0 one?

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2003
  8. EviLAnGeL

EviLAnGeL Guest

Ok. So if you haven't soldered anything then then that eliminates spalshes and such. Have you reconnected all the wires, like your DVD drive power and IDE and HD Power and IDE and checked to make sure they are in right. The IDE comes loose from the motherboard sometimes. Check that. Did you unplug the fan? You will get flashing and no eject even if the fan isn't plugged in. If you tried all that and it's not something simple then you may need to replace the motherboard and/or hard drive, but you might be better just buying another XBOX. Hard to say without looking at it but it's difficult to imagine that anything is badly damaged inside considering you haven't soldered anything. But I guess you could have caught something. Just check things carefully one by one.

9. wongie_jm

wongie_jm Regular member

does your xbox work fine without the matrix chip. the dvd rom only mess up when you see the red and green light. i've had some problems with the red and green light and i was pretty sure it was the alignment of the chip. i got pissed cuz it keeps moving out off place when i move the xbox around too much so i tried tightening the srew and then i f**king sripped the screw. So i had to follow the xbox scene tutorial by installing a bolt and screw. Now the chip never moved once. But don't do what i did until you're sure its an alignment issue. try moving the chip a little bit to the left or right or etc. then restart your xbox cuz the red and green light only comes off when you restart it.

10. pong3

pong3 Guest

I took out the chip and it is still flashing the same. I tried moving it around too. Also, i forgot to mention that when i turn the xbox on, it starts up then turns off, starts up again and turns off, but then on the third try it stays on. Do you think i screwed something up and I need a new part?

11. TOPLOADER

TOPLOADER Member

where abouts are you i would gladly have a look at it for you if you are not too far away posting it would be a bummer cause it that heavy

12. wongie_jm

wongie_jm Regular member

try checking on all the things evilangel mentioned, the fans, ide cables, etc. if that still doesnt help try flashing the chip again, maybe with different BIOS.

13. pong3

pong3 Guest

Well, i checked the wires and they were all in place and i also tried reflashing the chip, but i still got the same thing. I don't know what's going on, but if you guys find something helpful just post it. Thanks for the help.

14. TOPLOADER

TOPLOADER Member

"I got a message on my t.v. that said my xbox needs work."

did it come up with an error code at all this would help

15. pong3

pong3 Guest

I didn't look at the error code, a message just popped up that said it needed to be repaired...or something like that, then the system just turned off automatically. I'm going to keep trying to fix it and if the message comes up again I will write it down this time.

16. TOPLOADER

TOPLOADER Member

make sure you havent bent or pushed in any of the pins on the hard drive conetor you might just be getting a hard drive timeout

17. pong3

pong3 Guest

Actually, i looked into the IDE cable connector that is on the bottom of the xbox and there is a pin missing in the center of it. Also, it is the same with the yellow cable wire. I'm not sure if that is what you meant by the pins being pushed in, but i just thought it might be the reason. Anyway, is there a way to fix the timeout problem?
    And i live in new jersey by the shore, hopefully it is near you.

18. TOPLOADER

TOPLOADER Member

have a look at the back of the hard drive where the ide cable plugs in you might have to take out the hdd fron it cradle to have a good look

19. Johnny5

Johnny5 Member

Hello. I did 2 matrix chips last week and the flashing green light on the Matrix did not mean it was lined up correctly in either case. The Xbox would blink Red/Orange with the Matrix blinking green that it was lined up. The way I aligned mine was to move the Matrix around until the chip would flash green once, then continue to flash red. Other people have also told me that it worked for them.

20. darthnip

darthnip Moderator Staff Member

yeah that worked for me too, i spent 4 hours trying to line it up because all i got was a flash of green at the beginning then it went to flashing red. after a little research, i read that this was normal for a V1.1 xbox, so i tried it and it works great.