1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I beg for all help recovering unfinalized dvd

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by 6265, Jun 26, 2006.

1. 6265

6265 Guest

I was using a samsung dvr-4000 to record all family movies and did not understand you need to finalize them after coping to the dvd-r.
    My samsung quit working a week ago and I threw it away and bought a new Magnavox dvd recorder and it take -r and +r. When I put the unfinalized dvd's in I only get a error message. When I put them in my laptop with a dvd burner, get no file or anything on the dvd-r.
    We could watch the movies on the Samsung before it quit. Please help me copy the files or finalize these dvds.

2. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Hi 6265
    Welcome to aD
    Here's 2 suggestion for you:
    Try DVD Decrypter (free and a great ripper & burner too) close the disc:
    http://www.mrbass.org/dvdrip/
    Go to Tools>Drive>Close.

Try isobuster to rip to your hard drive then burn to a disc (I use the free version)
    http://www.isobuster.com/

3. 6265

6265 Guest

Thanks for your fast help. Im going to try it now.

4. binkie7

No problem
    Let us know how it goes.
    Hopefully one of them will do the trick!

5. 6265

6265 Guest

Hello, I have tried all 3 and everyone said I dont have a disk in. I have a dvd rom and cd rw and can watch movies but it acts like their is no dvd in or nothing on it. Help

6. binkie7

Ok you won't be able to finalize since you don't have a dvd burner only a rom and cd burner.
    Does Decrypter even see that this info on the disc? You can use that to rip. Try Mode>File or Mode>Iso>Read.
    If not here's another program that may work - not free but has a free trial.
    http://diskinternals.com/cd-dvd-recovery/

7. 6265

6265 Guest

Hi, No it dont even read info. I have not tried the lastest program you sent. I now understand how important it is to finalize. Im dead if I loose these family cd's.Your help is wonderful!Thank you

8. arniebear

arniebear Active member

Last edited: Jun 27, 2006
  9. 6265

6265 Guest

Well, after reading that, I am really worried. I wont give up and when I fix it, Ill update. Thankful for all help!

10. theboltz

theboltz Regular member

Hi! Just a suggestion, why not take your cd's to a professional lab. It might be worth a try, since they seem to be very valuable. Then think about investing in a DVD R/W. Burners are very inexpensive at this point in time. Go to egghead.com, they have great prices. Good Luck.

11. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

@6265
    I read your post, tried the suggestions as provided by Blinkie7 and Arniebear, did a little experimenting, was able to rip a disk from my Samsung DVD-R120 (unfinalized of course) to my hard drive using DVD Decrypter, and then was able to burn it onto another disk and it worked. Hopefully this method will work for you as well.
    Good Luck and let us know how it ends.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2006
  12. rbrock

rbrock Regular member

If you can get your pc to tell you what kind of file it is then you might have better luck of getting it to a disc is a mov file, avi file, mepeg file, vts vob file ,what kind of camera did you use to record it with ?

13. rbrock

rbrock Regular member

Disc are cheap alwawys finalize your home movies so your movies don't get lost to a bad disc or a program that won't read it movies are everywhere your home movies are not

14. StarWish6

StarWish6 Guest

I have the same problem. So, I did a search of the recorder brand, found a reconditioned one for sale on E-bay, and bid and won it. When it arrives, I will be able to finalize the DVD's.