1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TUT!HOW to FTP and BACKUP XBOX GAMES - With Crossover Cable

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by omar3333, Jun 28, 2006.

1. omar3333

omar3333 Regular member

Right, before we begin I want to make this very clear: your computer drive will not read your xbox game, it will just get a 13MB file. there is no way to make your computer read the game, so don't be fooled by DVD wizard pro and clone dvd or any of those, they wont work! the only way you could ever do this would be to replace your xbox drive with the computer drive, and who would want to do that?!

Right, I made this tutorial because I know there are a lot of people out there that want to get this figured out. This tutorial will include:

1: What is needed to FTP or make a Backup game.

2: How to obtain these things

3: Once you have all these things to connect to your xbox (FTP) and make a backup of you xbox game!

1:what is needed to FTP or make a Backup game:

1: A modded xbox console - no exceptions, you must have one whether its a chip or softmod it must me modded.

2: A crossover cable. This tutorial explains how to conncect via crossover cable.

3: A new/custom (hacked) dashboard on your xbox, not the original M$ one.

4: Your xbox needs to be flashed, autoinstallers can do this

5: An FTP program. common ones are called FlashFXP, Qwix, SmartFTP...

6: An XISO program. not an iso program an XISO program. Common ones are Qwix, Craxation...

7: A burning program capable of burning ISOs. I recomment DVD Decrypter.

8: A LITTLE BIT OF LUCK!

2: How to get these things:

Well, you will need a modded console his thread will not explain how to mod.

You will need a CROSSOVER cable not a normal cable. this is a common mistake. It must be a crossover cable a normal CAT5 won't work. You can get these at any computer store for around $15, sometimes more, sometimes less.

You will need a hacked dashboard on your xbox. the best way to get one of these is an autoinstaller. The best way to get a good autoinstaller is from torrent sites. Tutorials on how to use Torrents can be found in P2P section of the forums.

Once you have your autoinstaller it will either be in an ISO format or a bunch of files. If it is already in ISO format thats good. If it isnt, you will have to use your XISO program to make one out of all the files.

You'll need an FTP program. FLASHFXP is the most popular. You can find this on google.

Last, you'll need a program capable of burning ISOs. i highly recommend DVD Decrypter it is a freeware and can also be found on google. I also reccomend IMGBURN.

3:How to FTP and make a backup.

Step 1: First thing to do is to go into your xbox dashboard settings and make sure that your IP is set to 192.168.0.100, and that the Subnet Mask is 255.255.255.0, and make sure that Static IP is ON.

Step 2: After saving your settings, connect your xbox via crossover cable to your computer's ethernet port.

Step 3: Next go into your Network Connections. Then right-click on "Properties".

Step 4: Click on Internet Protocal and tick the bubble that says "Use the follow IP"

Step 5: Type in 192.168.0.1 for the IP, and the Subnet Mask should be 255.255.255.0

Step 6: Boot up your xbox, then open up FlashFXP or whatever FTP client you are using.

Note: If you have followed all the steps and still can't connect, your firewall might be stopping you. Try turning it off.

Step 7: In FlashFXP, click on the lightning bolt (quick connect). for the server URL, type in 192.168.0.100, and for the username it should be "xbox" and same for the password.

Step 8: Your computer should now be connected, and it should be showing a bunch of diferent drives (C,D,E,F,G,X,Y,Z). Pop in the game you want to back up.

Note: The xbox will auto-launch games, so put in the game after having FTP'd. Also, you will need a controller connected to FTP.

Step 9: Wait for a few seconds for the game to load, then open up drive D. there should be a whole bunch of game files inside. Hilight all of these files (unless it's too big to fit on a standard DVD-5, in and you know which files not to include. If you're not sure, try http://www.balugabutt.com), then drag them over to a new folder on your computer. Name it whatever you like, and make it in an easy to find directory.

Step 10: Time to put your XISO program to work. Open up Qwix and go to "Create ISO".

Step 11: Tick the bubble saying "local folder", then go to the one you ripped the game files to.

Step 12: Create an XISO.

Step 13: Using the program of your choise (i recomend DVD Decryptor), burn the XISO to a DVD-R or if your drive reads them, DVD+R.

And Voila! You have just backed up your first xbox game. Not too hard was it?

Feedback and constructive criticism on this tutorial is appreciated, and if you have questions i'll try to answer them!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2006
  2. omar3333

omar3333 Regular member

come on people feedback!

3. shinnster

shinnster Regular member

There is already a TUT for this at the top of this section in BOLD writing!

4. omar3333

omar3333 Regular member

i know, just trying to lend a hand

5. darthnip

darthnip Moderator Staff Member

added "with crossover cable" to title, stickied. yes i know we have them, but for people who dont have a router this might save them a minute or two of looking and bothering others with repeated question.

6. Canaan108

Canaan108 Member

I Have a modded xbox, I've had it for about three years. I am following your tutorial, I confess I am a noob! I'm just going to take it one step at a time. I think that my xbox already has a dashboard but I'm not sure?? When I boot it in mod-mode there are many options that I have never really looked at before.

7. omar3333

omar3333 Regular member

what does it go to after the xbox logo? does it go to the original M$ dash with date and time and memory and stuff, or is it diferent?

8. Canaan108

Canaan108 Member

It goes to a screen that says improved player.com at the top and the options below are: Classic game systems, play improved player disc, play dvd movie, system management,reboot xbox, and power off xbox. There are also two themometers m/B temp and cpu temp.

9. omar3333

omar3333 Regular member

ok well you have a custom dashboard...try going into your settings and turning static IP to ON or YES. also disable any firewalls or antivirus software off. just a suggestion, try downloading the newest version of slayers evox autoinstaller (v2.6) then burn the iso you get from a torrent site (explained above). any more problems post here.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2006
  10. omar3333

omar3333 Regular member

P.S. you do have a DVD Burner right?

11. Canaan108

Canaan108 Member

I do have a dvd burner and nero, decrypt, and power iso.
    I just got back from the mall with a crossover cable.

12. omar3333

omar3333 Regular member

good. follow the steps make sure firewall and antivirus is disabled, and if you can on your xbox dash then under system management go to find static IP and turn it on.

13. Canaan108

Canaan108 Member

I keep getting a message at the bottom of my computer that I have conflicting ip's both my xbox & my computer are set at 192.168.0.100 and mask 255.255.255.0, then every time I try to quick connect through flash it says conection not accepted? Should my xbox be running in mod or regular. I'm sorry about all the questions, thanks for being patient with a newbie.

14. omar3333

omar3333 Regular member

no problem :D when connecting, try turning proxy off(this is in FlashFXP.) also, try instead of using 192.168.0.100, try using just 192.168.0.1 (on your computer, leave the xbox alone.), or try a variation so like in your IP settings try 192.168.0.1 then in flash try using 192.168.0.100 (just some suggestions.). you should be in mod mode. have you found out if static IP is on or off? it should be on.

15. omar3333

omar3333 Regular member

also, to make sure it is a crossover cable, try connecting it to the computer then turining it on. if your local area connection says connected then its good.

16. Canaan108

Canaan108 Member

I got it!! now I'm going to try to burn.

17. omar3333

omar3333 Regular member

glad to help :D, make sure to make ALL of the game files into the ISO, not just the big files or it wont work.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2006
  18. Canaan108

Canaan108 Member

I thought I had it. dvd decrypter only wrote 42mb of the 1.6gig game?

19. omar3333

omar3333 Regular member

explain what you did. what did you do after you got an FTP connection?something is wrong because DVD Decrypter usually works flawlessely with me...

20. Canaan108

Canaan108 Member

Ok, After I got the ftp connection I transferred the game from the xbox to my new folder. It took about 2hrs 30min. I opened up quix, I kept the xbox connected because there was a prompt at the beggining of quix that said a ftp connection must be established, so I typed the port # of the xbox and it was all good. I went to local folder (still in quix) and selected my folder which is actually 2.6 gigs and selected create iso. while the progress bar was going the box said total size 4,200.2mb. When quix was done I opened up dvd dycrypter, did the iso write option ( I have tryed a couple different settings and xbox games) such as write speed 16x and 8x, most recently it says the total size of the game is in the billions of bytes i.e 234,675,675,003 bytes. I also tryed creating iso and converting iso in quix that gave me an "optimized" before the title. With every try the result has been the same my xbox reads unknown and I cannot boot the disc. I'm lost man. I'm sorry if I'm becoming bothersome, and I appreciate your help!