1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to make your own Memory Card Exploit using the Independence Installer

Discussion in 'User submitted guides' started by L-Burna, Sep 17, 2004.

1. locobrown

locobrown Regular member

Thanks. The Xbox runs every known emulator perfectly except PSX games. I gave a shot and most don't run that smooth, I read about the PS2 specs and its processor doesn't pass the 300MHz. Got to live with it. It’s amazing how it can almost perfectly run all games at 60FPS using that small of a processor. I like to rebuild now, I've noticed increased loading speeds since the gaps have been reduced in which the laser needs to cycle up and down the track.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2008
  2. locobrown

locobrown Regular member

I made this thread about a game that have, I rebuilt it and achieved it by adding a dummy file because the generator would display a sector error message. I was told to add the dummy file at the end of the image. Would it affect the game for better or worse If I were to add it at the very beginning?

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/653306

Should I use Gnie's ExPERT 1.03 only for DVD9 games, or can I use them for DVD5 as well? I've read that this tools does it all, automated without having to extract anything. I've rebuilt by using Isobuster, CDDVD Gen and iml2ISO 4.03.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2008
  3. smokyrain

smokyrain Senior member

As I said #11 of this faq shows you the rebuild methods.

Use Xpert 2 now.It tells you how to use it there. You can get it from alucard.cc forums. You will need to register.
    The password for Xpert 2 to unrar is: xpert2xmas

When you run the Xpert 2 tool, make sure first to select a sound, like the trumpet sound or the program will not work properly.

4. locobrown

locobrown Regular member

The site doesn't seem to load, the page states error links.

5. smokyrain

smokyrain Senior member

Ok well you can download xpert 2 here then.

No password needed.

The site works fine for me, so if you ever need more plugins for the xpert tool go here.
    http://www.alucard.cc/forums/

6. locobrown

locobrown Regular member

Thanks for the link, I should of gotten it sooner. My friend has God Of War totally damaged but it can be ripped by using my PC. I see it has a plugin for this game, its over 8GB. I'll be using this tool for all of my games, it's much more simplier than having to rebuilt manually.

7. smokyrain

smokyrain Senior member

Actually for most DVD9 games there is a certain procedure(tutorials) to follow for each one.
    Say God Of WAr - http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/49/174869

You should read from my post on to the next page to see how ilcmdme did it. He sort of followed Sonix's tutorial but used pssdown to downsize the movies.

Other DVD9 games- http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/275350

On the last page I have the full tutorial for GT4 as some of is missing.

And if there is some DVD9 gmaes not mentioned just do an afterdawn search for them or check alucard.cc site for the ripkits.

Yes the Xpert tool is very nice to have for sure.

8. ilcmdme

ilcmdme Regular member

Actually, Smokyrain, I only used pssdown to downsize 1 of the .pss movie coz i kept getting an error, but as you said it's easier to just use pssdown and downsize all the .pss movies. - God of War.

Later.

9. locobrown

locobrown Regular member

I backed up God of War and the cinema clips do suffer a quite a bit of image quality loss, as long as it works its all good.

I got a question about the corrupted gamesaves the PS2 browser displays. I've been trying to create custom MC icons, I've been using bmp2icon. It converts .bmp into MC icons but for some reason the PS2 browser still cannot recognize the icon file. I don't want to use ulaunchELF to create icons because It doesn't create icons using custom made images. Do you know of a method that will allow me to create custom icons?

10. locobrown

locobrown Regular member

Thanks to smokyrain and everybody who helped me gain the knowledge about PS2 softmodding, I wished I’ve known about it sooner since the PS2 is nearly out the door (looking over to my xbox 1 "damn you fat overweight box!"). I like my xbox that's why I bought it and threw out the key for my PS2. Continuing my story, I thought I had sold it until I went down to the basement to fix a water pipe leak and found it after 6 years of non-use.

I guess I’ve been as asking too many obvious questions to answers that I can find If I were to google or search within the forums, but since you all know everything there is to know it seemed easy to ask. About these custom icons, I’ve really been struggling to and complete everything this is the only thing I need to get down. I thought creating custom fonts for ulaunch was challenging, but this is a brain strainer.

11. TDoWF

TDoWF Member

ok I am a bit new at mod-ing
    I followed the guide but I have to ask
    how do I start the CD -r
    do I swap a ps1 game with the new CD
    or what?

12. tmh5587

tmh5587 Member

first i would say that no you dont have to swap out for a psone game. I will tell you the easiest way to do this whole thing, and it worked for me and im sure many others.

1. get a old psone game, i used yugui forbidden memories
    2. get the files and programs needed, here is a list, independent compiler v1.4, ps2 save builder, a action replay or i used code breaker 8.1 for mine.

2. put the psone game in the pc, and start the compiler. just fallow the compiler instructions. that is get the files form the game that you need, and add your elf files. also keep in mind you need no dummi files because we are going to be making a saved game, not the cd-r version of the xploit

3. after you create your saved game open the ps2 save builder, DO NOT CHANGE anything on the saved game that you open. the only thing you want to do is re save the saved game as what ever your disk is, I.E. action replay, or code breaker etc....
    once re saved as a code breaker 8.1 saved game or action replay saved game, you now need to transfer it so a flash drive, or memeory stick

4. now put your action replay/ code breaker 8.1 in the ps2 with a completely clean memory card, no other saved games. now you can transfer the saved file from the flash drive to the memory card.
    once transfered turn off the ps2, take out take out the flash drive and action replay/ code breaker 8.1, and leave the memory card in the ps2.

5. now put the psone game we used in step one into the ps2, this game is now considered your trigger disk and is triggered my the saved game on the ps2 memory card.

thats it your all set you can now add what ever . elf files you want, there are other tuts for that, but you now have a soft modded ps2.

if you need more info. look to some of my old postes

13. nexuscore

nexuscore Member

ok so can someone tell me what hardware i need to do this?

14. nexuscore

nexuscore Member

and what is action replay and code breaker?

15. SuperXL

SuperXL Regular member

codebreaker and action replay provide game cheat capabilities. they also provide memory card file management capabilities. the file management is why people mentioned them. you need to manipulate the game saves (copy/paste) in order to do your modding.

the only hardware you really NEED is the old school PS2, a hard drive, the network adapter and a USB flash drive (that actually works with your ps2)

Last edited: Jul 2, 2008
  16. nexuscore

nexuscore Member

and action replay?

17. icemasta

icemasta Member

Was wondering if the custom Independence Exploit CD is a PS1 CD Game or a PS2 CD Game?

Cause I was wondering on how to boot the disk without Swap Magic, Codebreaker, Action Replay.....
    and if its a PS1 CD Game then I can use PS1 technique by putting a legit PS1 then swapping it with the burned Independence Exploit CD and itll boot.

Thanks.

18. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

Its a PS2 exploit that uses PS1 drivers,so to install it you need to boot it like it was a PS2 backup.After you install the exploit you then plug in an original PS1 game to boot the memory card exploit.

19. SuperXL

SuperXL Regular member

look into doing the Free Memory Card Boot (FMCB) also. FMCB is actually 1000 times easier AFTER you've done the normal exploit.

20. tmh5587

tmh5587 Member

L-Burna (Senior Member) 17. August 2008 @ 14:58

Originally posted by icemasta: Was wondering if the custom Independence Exploit CD is a PS1 CD Game or a PS2 CD Game?

Cause I was wondering on how to boot the disk without Swap Magic, Codebreaker, Action Replay.....
    and if its a PS1 CD Game then I can use PS1 technique by putting a legit PS1 then swapping it with the burned Independence Exploit CD and itll boot.

Thanks.

Its a PS2 exploit that uses PS1 drivers,so to install it you need to boot it like it was a PS2 backup.After you install the exploit you then plug in an original PS1 game to boot the memory card exploit.

That is not entirely true. you use a PS1 game to create the saved game, it boots up as a PS1 game because that is were you get the magic from. the Ps2 reads Ps1 games differently.It is in fact booting the PS1 driver which are not really drivers but a boot sector on the disk. The Fat Ps2s split the way it reads a game in to two parts, well more then that but these two parts are the only important ones, the Loading screen and the game play. In between the two is were the ps2 reads the memory cards and any information that you have saved for that particular game, at this point you can add your little peace of code, the Exploit. After booting the exploit you can run many different application and programs including Linux.

however for this exploit i will say you did specify the correct method just did not explain the way the exploit works.