1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help Burning A Dvd With Subtitles In Nerovision Express 3!!

Discussion in 'Subtitle help' started by allstar15, Jul 11, 2006.

1. allstar15

allstar15 Member

Hello everyone. I'm pretty new at burning and I use NeroVission Express 3 with the making of my DVD's. Currently I have been trying to burn anime episodes with english subtitiles onto a DVD but everytime I watch it, the english subtitles are cut off. I have changed the aspect ratio in NeroVision Express 3 to 4:3 (they are also cut off), to automatic (also cut off) and 16:9 (picture is to small). When trying to burn it automatic, the project summary is:

Sample format: Automatic
    Audio format: Automatic
    Encoding mode: Fast Encoding (1-Pass)

Number of titles: 1
    1. Naruto - 002 (Video Title, 0h 23m 19s)
    Video mode: NTSC
    Aspect ratio: 4:3
    Quality: Standard play (5073 kbps)
    Resolution: 704 x 480 (D1)
    Audio SmartEncoding ratio: 0.0 %
    Video SmartEncoding ratio: 0.0 %

Is there somehow to make the picture smaller so the english subtitles fit in but the overall picture fits the whole screen? Any help is greatly appreciated. I will try anything to make this thing work!!!

2. allstar15

allstar15 Member

Doesn't anybody have a clue what to do? I certainly don't :(

3. allstar15

allstar15 Member

I did some research and found out that if you put a black border around the episodes, then the black border will shrink instead of the subtitles. Does anyone have a tutorial on how exactly to do this?

4. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

From the Dattebayo FAQ:
    [bold]The video doesn't play on <random divx dvd player> or I can't see subs on screen[/bold]

We don't care. Get a better TV. You don't see subs because of overscan. If your DVD player can't play our files, that's not our fault either. Blame the manufacturer.

Not sure if there is any way to do it directly with NeroVision. Probably have to frameserve with AVISynth.

5. moonrocks

moonrocks Regular member

If you're trying to compensate for the overscan on your TV, one thing you could try is the resize filter on Virtualdubmod. You can shrink your source image, then add borders to expand back to the original DVD compliant resolution. Then burn with Nerovision. You subs should be visible because only the borders would get lost with the overscan.

Assuming you've got an .avi file with burned in subs. In Virtualdubmod: First, find out the resolution of your source. Open your .avi, then file, file info. If it's a PAL source it might say frame Size 720 x 576. then, using the resize filter in Virtualdubmod, resize it down a bit by multiples of 16. For example, try 704 x 563.

video,filters,add,resize,
    in top dimensions pick 704 for new width, 563 for new height,
    check "expand frame and letterbox image",
    then put in the original dimensions,
    e.g. 720 for frame width, 576 for frame height,
    click ok, ok.

This will shrink your original video a bit, then give it a border to bring it back to its original resolution of 720 x 576.

Then to save, you want to compress the .avi, choose video, compression pick a compression codec, choose xvid, mjpeg, whatever you're comfortable with, then save avi.

Load that avi file into Nerovision. You may have to experiment a bit with the resize filter dimensions to get just the right shrinkage of the original image to compensate for the overscan on your TV.

http://virtualdubmod.sourceforge.net/

6. allstar15

allstar15 Member

Thanks for the post Moonrocks. I downloaded from the link VirtualDubMod 1.5.10.2 but I can't seem to find the resize filter button. I also can't find where it says how big the picture is but I know for sure that it is 720x480 because thats what comes up in Nero.

7. allstar15

allstar15 Member

Ignore the top post, I found it. I will try burning it onto a disk tomorrow and I will write up my results. Thanks Moonrocks once again. I really appreciate it. I also have one problem. When I save it with AVI or when I play it using the program, the audio is all distorted. What can I do to fix it?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2006
  8. moonrocks

moonrocks Regular member

If your .avi source is 720x480 then in Virtualdubmod I'd try resizing it down to 672x448 then add borders and expand the frame back to 720x480.

If you open your .avi file in Virtualdubmod and then play it, the audio is distorted? But if you play the .avi in Windows Media Player, for example, it is OK?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2006
  9. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Few points though.
    It means converting to RGB24, which lowers quality.
    You waste time converting, plus further degrade quality if you use a lossy codec such as XviD.

Check out FitCD, it will create the AVISynth script for you.

10. moonrocks

moonrocks Regular member

Very nice. Much cleaner way to resize.

But a couple of questions. After FitCD creates the AVISynth script, I'm loading that into Virtualdub. Are you saying it's Xvid which is converting it to RGB24? If I compress with Huffyuv and use fast recompress, does that avoid the conversion to RGB24?

11. moonrocks

moonrocks Regular member

Well, experimenting a bit, trying to answer some of my own questions... Still trying to sort out Virtualdub with xviD and the colorspace conversions.

I've been loading various .avi files into Virtualdubmod, then compressing with xviD under Full processing mode as well as Fast recompress. I'm also running the following avisynth script on the input and output files: AviSource("C:\test\test.avi").info()

So far, I'm not seeing any conversions to RGB24. Almost all of the output files, and many of the input files, report a colorspace of YV12. So I'm guessing at most a YUY2 to YV12 conversion is sometimes occurring. I'm not sure what to make of that though, how degrading that conversion is to the video.

Granted, this is my first day using Avisynth, and thinking about colorspace conversions. So, if you've got a YUY2 or YV12 source, and you want to compress with xviD, in perspective, how much of a hit are you taking making that conversion with xviD? What are the other options?

12. allstar15

allstar15 Member

Yes Moonrocks, thats correct. When playing an .avi file in Virtualdubmod the audio is distorted but when I play the .avi in Windows Media Player, it is fine. Should I try maybe try updating Virtualdubmod or something?

13. moonrocks

moonrocks Regular member

Not sure, it's probably not because you don't have the latest version of Virtualdubmod. I'm using an older version, VirtualDubMod 1.5.10.1a with no problems. You can download the most current version here:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=65889&package_id=63653

I would first make sure you have the necessary codec installed for your .avi file. With your file loaded in Virtualdubmod, File, File Information. It should tell you some info. For example, for this .avi file:

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/6488/vdubwe8.png

The video codec is xviD, audio is 44100Hz, PCM. Post back with the audio/video info on your file. Also, if you have a link to your .avi file maybe I could see what's up with the audio.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2006
  14. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

XviD is always YV12. What I was saying is that full processing in VDub means converting to RGB24. So in the case of XviD that is YV12-->RGB-->YV12.

Loading the avs, setting the video to fast recompress and saving out using XviD would mean no convesions; YV12 all the way through. HuffYUV means converting to at least YUY2, unless you use ffdshow which supports YV12.

You don't need VDub and you don't need to save an avi. Nero Vision should be able to load the AVISynth script.

15. moonrocks

moonrocks Regular member

Thanks for the info :)