1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

burning just one mp3 tune from a mp3 full album download on my hard drive

Discussion in 'Audio' started by diablo, Jun 1, 2003.

1. diablo

diablo Guest

i got two questions, the first one is how can i separtely burn certain tunes of a full ablum download... i just wont to burn a few from the album, i dont know how to do this?
    also the second question is when i play the downloaded mp3 full album in windows media player version 9 the tunes dont show me the tunes name, title and lenght of tune , is there a way to display all this information when my full album download doesnt show this in windows media player?

2. tigre

tigre Moderator Staff Member

Assuming you want to burn an audio CD either
    decode to .wav and use a wave editor like Soundforge to cut the album into tracks
    or
    use mp3DirectCut to split mp3s directly and decode afterwards, e.g. let the burning program decode on the fly.

Either
    split the mp3 to seperate tracks using mp3directcut and tag them (maybe it's necessary to use something like VBRfix). Then any player can play them back and show the info you want.
    or
    Create a cue sheet (mp3DirectCut is capable of this too) or get one (ask google for a cue sheet download site) for the album. Many recommendable audio players like foobar2000 or winamp can play back mp3 albums using cue sheets and display track information etc. The advantage of the cue sheet method is that you can get gapless playback which is not possible if you split to tracks (mainly an issue for life albums or e.g. some kind of meditation music ...)

3. diablo

diablo Guest

need more help..I havent any clue where to start to tag a full album , so that i will be able to see see the album title and each song title and length while i play the album? i got mp3 direct cut. where do i place the title of the album? how do i separate the begining and ending of each tune ? then do i place the tags in the spaces between each tune? what a cue sheet, if i make one of those is the cue sheet a separate file from the album?
    i found an albumwrap extractor but it doesnt recognise then as .albw.. so does that mean the wrap is in mp3?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2003
  4. tigre

0. Make a security copy of the mp3 in another directory
    1. Open mp3directcut
    2. File -> Open -> Select mp3 album
    3. Browse/Listen to the file to find positions where new songs start.
    4. At these positions rightcklick on the graph to create a selection with the length of 0.
    5. Press Cut
    6. Repeat for the beginning of every song (dont forget the 1st).
    7. Special -> Save Cue Sheet and edit with notepad
    8. Edit the cue sheet like this: e.g. the original created by mp3DirectCut looks like this:

You can change it to

PERFORMER "Various"
    TITLE "Very Nice Songs"
    FILE "Various - Nice Songs.mp3" MP3
    TRACK 01 AUDIO
    TITLE "This song is nice"
    PERFORMER "The Great Band" <- if the album is from 1 artist this is optional
    INDEX 01 00:00:00
    TRACK 02 AUDIO
    TITLE "Let's make some nice music"
    PERFORMER "The amazing Singers"
    INDEX 00 05:42:58 <- if you want pre-track gaps when burning on audio CD
    INDEX 01 05:44:58

OR - IF THIS IS TOO ... WHATEVER:

7. Edit -> Names for Cue Sheet -> Enter Album Artist + Title
    8.1. List -> Select a cue (= a track)
    8.2. Edit -> Names for current cue -> Enter Track Artist + Title
    Repeat 8 until all tracks are named
    9. File -> Save Project file/Cue Sheet -> select File Type = Cue Sheet (.cue)

I can't tell if WMP9 can handle cue sheets for playback. I'd recommend anyway to get something decent for audio playback, e.g.
    foobar2000 http://foobar2000.hydrogenaudio.org
    XMPlay http://www.un4seen.com
    Winamp (2.x) http://classic.winamp.com

With these players you can load cue sheets, play back the tracks from the album mp3 seperately, even remove some tracks from the playlist ... and use their diskwriting/wavwriting features to create .wav files for the tracks you want to burn.
    -------------------------
    If you don't want to mess with cue sheets you can select a track and save it as a seperate mp3 : File -> save selection. Probably you have to rename and tag afterwards manually using some other software.

5. diablo

diablo Guest

is there a way to tag each track on the albw so windows media player or musicmatch can read the tags to display the infor. while playing the entire album.. the cue sheet is just something extra ill have to store somwhere else for foobar to read?

6. tigre

A lot of decent players can handle cue sheet + big mp3 as if it was seperate tagged tracks.

I don't know about WMP + MMJB. If you want all players to handle it split to seperate files and tag manually.

7. diablo

diablo Guest

i dont know how to separate them? i tried the above instructions and got a cue sheet?how to separate? is there a way to put all the mp3 files back together to get an ablum of all mps so windows or mmjb will read it? if so what is a good free program to put them together?

8. tigre

I already told above:
    (hopefully clarifying additions in italic)
    I thought you want these "media players" to recognize seperate tracks? Just put all tracks of an album to a folder and create a playlist of them. Loading this you can play the whole album. If you want to join the mp3s for some reason I don't get, you can use mp3directcut too. If you don't know how - copy some mp3s to a test folder and TRY - Thinks like "Append all/selection to ..." should be quite self-explaining. BTW:Hopefully you've alread clicked Help -> Manual once in a while. ;)

9. diablo

diablo Guest

what is a lentgh of zero mean?
    what do i hit to make it a length of zero?

whats this mean? just highlight in the blue area? how

Last edited: Jun 5, 2003
  10. diablo

diablo Guest

i figured it out but are there any tips do i cut it at the very begining and do i cut it at the very end of two songs or in the middle of the two songs. i still dont understand the zero part though? what other tips or mistake do i need to watch out for?
    My tagger wouldnt change the tag title on the tune i separeted from the ablw ,it still says full ablum? any ideas ? my tagger has been working on all the other tags i change

Last edited: Jun 5, 2003
  11. diablo

diablo Guest

i cant get to rename or(retag) an albumwrap id3tag? why not, ive tried several taggers and it wont change the id3tag or if it does the albumwrap goes corrupt and wont play? is an id3tag in a albumwrap changable?