1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How To Upgrade HDD On Softmod Xbox And How To Upgrade HDD On Hardmod Xbox.

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by TheReturn, Jul 16, 2006.

1. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

After your xbox is softmoded, you want a bigger hdd to store games, emulators and apps.

Here are what you need to do:

- Download and install Config Magic to xbox. Run it and back up eeprom. DO NOT UNLOCKED HDD. You can also backup eeprom from other apps too. The eeprom should be in E:\Backup\

- Then ftp the whole C drive to C folder on PC. FTP the whole E drive to E folder on PC. FTP the eeprom.bin (256kb) to eeprom folder on PC. Make sure you have the right eeprom. Here is the ftp tut
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/333781

- If you don't have the complete of C and E files, you can use the Shademand's softmod file (325MB) which contains C and E files. But you still need to ftp the eeprom.bin (256kb) from your xbox to PC.
    http://viciousincserver.net2go.com
    http://www.demonoid.com/files/details/339898/1788832/

- If you dont want to use softmod file, you can use MS dash. But you still need the original eeprom.bin on PC.

- Download xboxhdm 1.9 and extract it on PC. YOu will get something like these:
    a. linux ( folder)
    b. cygwin1.dll
    c. make-DOS-floppy.bat
    d. make-iso-lin.sh
    e. make-iso-win.bat
    f. mkisofs.exe
    g. rawrite.exe

-Inside the linux folder you should have:
    a. C (folder)
    b. E (folder)
    c. eeprom (folder)

Now it time to make a boot disk for xboxhdm. You can make boot disk for ms dash or softmod.

Boot disk for MS DASH. Copy ms dash files into the linux folder by following:
    -C (folder): Audio, Fonts, xboxdashdata.185ead00, xodash, xboxdash.xbe, Xbox.xtf, Xboxbook.xtf
    -E (folder): Cache, Tdata, Udata
    -eeprom (folder): eeprom.bin

NOTES: 3 foders Cache, Tdata and Udata can be EMPTY. You need eeprom to build a new hdd.

Boot disk for SOFTMOD FILE ONLY. Copy softmod files into the linux folder by following:
    -C (folder) have complete softmod file of C drive
    -E (folder) have complete softmod file of E drive
    -eeprom (folder): eeprom.bin

NOTES: You need eeprom to build a new hdd.

Ok you are ready to burn this disk per xboxhdm tut.

http://xguides.xbox-scene.com/tikiwiki/tiki-index.php?page=XBOXHDM+for+dummies
    http://forums.xbox-scene.com/lofiversion/index.php/t244043.html

When done, test the boot disk to make sure it load. Read the tut above how to load boot disk.

if it loads, now ready to build a new hdd for xbox. Make sure to set jumper on the new hdd to Master. Just follow the tuts above.

Replace PC's hdd with the new hdd for xbox. Boot up xboxhdm, FORMAT HDD. Then copy file from the boot disk to hdd. When done, LOCK the hdd. Put hdd into xbox and turn xbox on.

Enjoy!!!

After your xbox is hardmoded, you want a bigger hdd to store games, emulators and apps.

Here are what you need to do:

- Download autoinstaller disk like AID, Slayer, SID, etc... from bittorent sites. Unrar it you will see the iso inside. Burn the ISO to CD-R/DVD-R.

- put it in xbox. If you burn it correctly, xbox will load this disk.
    - Leave the autoinstaller disk inside dvd drive. Turn off xbox and open it. Install big hdd. Turn on xbox.
    - Xbox load the autoinstaller disk. Choose format hdd. Then install dashboard and apps.
    - When done, eject the autointaller disk and reboot xbox.

Enjoy!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2007
  2. theridges

theridges Guest

good add and the links with the pictures are perfect....i want to write another tutorial on something but i dont know what...

3. yaotl

yaotl Member

Can I just use Shademand's Ready Made for the C and E drives? I know I must use the eeprom backup, but it would be faster if I could just use the ready made for the other folders.

4. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

Yes you can use the C and E files of Shademand softmod. But you need the eeprom of your xbox.

5. yaotl

yaotl Member

Cool, thanks.

6. scornofx

scornofx Guest

where do i get teh xboxhdm

7. m0rph3u5

m0rph3u5 Member

I have done this:
    XBOX version 1.6
    Softmodded my Xbox, From SSID 3 and later to k-nave 4.5

NO chip, repeat NO chip.

Installed a 200 Gb hdd, did the xboxhdm 1.9 thing.
    Everything works fine as a media station(but some original games don't work. ie. Halo2 and some more)

The thing is, that i have a F drive of 137 Gb, and a G drive of 0Gb.
    According to all the Tuts they never mention this...
    I think i have a LBA48 version. but no way of enabling the G drive.

Xbox Partitioner shows 7 partitions
    part 6 is 130 something Gb's
    part 7 is present but i cannot format this one and shows 0Gb, there should be some 60 Gb's available.

Can someone shine a light on this for me please.

NO CHIPS, NO CHIPS

8. Craiggg

Craiggg Member

my xboxhdm cd just reboots my computer afterpressing 1 to load the vga xbox utilites(default)option. Therefore i can not upgrage my hard drive to a bigger one.HELP

9. Dukesta15

Dukesta15 Member

Hey folks here's my situation:

I have the factory HD softmodded/backed up on my computer hard drive. No problem.

I have a Seagate 250GB HD waiting to be softmodded. This new HD hasn't been touched.

My question(s) are:

1. Is there any way to get EvolutionX_3935 onto this new untouched 250GB HD without hotswapping?

I have an EvolutionX_3935 dummy file burned to .iso but am not sure how to proceed. I've tried putting this CD in and get the service screen with a white 16 in the top left corner.

2. How do we ' flash a bios 'if we're gonna softmod this new hd? (Doesn't the bios come when you install the new Dash?) What's the order I'm supposed to be doing it all in? Install the new dash 1st? Flash the BIOS even tho Im gonna softmod? Format the HD 1st to have the partitions?

Sorry i'm new to softmodding and all that jazz but Im eager to learn more about the process and pass on the knowledge to others who have a tough time doing what I'm trying to do.

10. m0rph3u5

m0rph3u5 Member

If you would search this forum you could have found it and too much more.
    No offence.

I can't find what i am looking for either, or just get replies that do not answer my question.

Check out this link: http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=244043

That tutorial should help you.
    Read it twice before you start.
    If you don't understand, quit and have it done for you.

ot trying to make you feel bad, but the tut above is a dummy manual

11. 321bob

321bob Member

is there a way for me to intall a bigger hard drive without opening my xbox

12. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

hmm no way.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2006
  13. Toonarmy9

Toonarmy9 Guest

Hi,

first post as i only just got an xbox for my kids, its got the xecuter chip in it but only has the stock 8 gig (tho its 10gig) hard drive. My question is, are all hard drives (ide) compatible with the xbox? as i have a 40 gig IBM here that would be easily enough for this xbox, basically want to be able to use dvd2xbox for games and then ftp them over the pc whenever i can be bothered, but i have followed the tutorial, i made the cd etc, the partitions were made all files copied over from the c & e partitions (i backed up the stock hard drive and put them on the boot cd) used the eeprom.bin that i had got from config magic and locked the drive, everything seemed to go well. However, after connecting the drive upto the xbox (with the chip turned off) it got to the xbox screen but stopped there, no microsoft logo appeared, no error screen or code, nothing. I turned it off and turned the chip on, turned on xbox, and it also did nothing just stopped on the xecuter loading screen. I had read that if a chip was present in the xbox the hard drive need not be locked, so i unlocked it again and then tried it, but no no avail. Also tried cloning the stock drive onto the 40 gig, but the same thing has happened. So thought i'd post here for any suggestions. I know the eeprom pass has to be the same but I was wondering if i needed to generate a new key for the bigger drive (as there is an option for it) with it not being the same as the stock, if so how would i lock the drive? thanks

14. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

Yes, all hdd will work. 40gb hdd is good enough.

This tut is for SOFTMOD xbox only. YOu dont have to follow this tut.

Since you have modchip, it is much easier to upgrade hdd. You just need any autoinstaller disk to do so. You can download AID, Slayer, etc... then burn the iso to DVD-R/CD. Xbox should load this disk.

When you get this point I will guide you more.

15. Toonarmy9

Toonarmy9 Guest

Hi,

Yes i've already tried slayers but it wont boot with the 40 gig drive in the xbox. It works fine with the default xbox drive and also with another 80gig drive that is in my kids pc. But 40 gig is more than enough for what i want to use the xbox for. the drive works fine in a pc but the xbox just dont seem to like it

16. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

hmm... strange...
    did you set jumper of the 40gb hdd to master or Cable Seclect before put in the xbox?

I dont really know why here. The 80GB hdd works fine on Xbox, so the 40GB hdd should work fine too.

17. Toonarmy9

Toonarmy9 Guest

yes, i tried both settings (master & cable select), and both 40 and 80 gb hard drives are IBM/Hitachi, only difference is that the 40 gig is 5400rpm whereas the 80gig is 7200rpm. would of thought it would still work tho, but it doesnt :(

18. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

The 7200rpm and 5400rpm are not the matter. I dont know why it does not work on xbox. Some things are strange with this hdd.

Well, why dont you use the 40GB hdd on PC and use the 80GB hdd for xbox. That will solve the problem.

19. Toonarmy9

Toonarmy9 Guest

Well, thats what i have done, but the 40 gig isn't really big enough for the computer hence why i thought i would ask to see if anyone else has had this prob before and managed to solve it

thanks anyway

20. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

Sorry, I can't think of anything else to help you. I just can say this 40GB hdd is an ODD.