1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to get XBMC (XBox Media Centre) to update everytime properly

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by error55o, Jul 17, 2006.

1. error55o

error55o Regular member

Things needed-:
    UnleashX
    XBMC
    Update of XBMC on networked pc

ok, gonna type this like a walk though not step by step
    first up I am going to take it as lore that you know how to configure XBMC's network to AUTOMATIC (if not you can find it in settings)
    Also I need to explain what the white button does to XBMC, Simply put it's a kinda right click on your windows mouse, so when you see "press white" do it please ^_^

ok, your XBMC network is set to automatic and you have a shared folder on your networked pc where the update of XBMC is located (this is a MUST under windows law if it's not at least one there thats not privert it wont show up at all so use c:\xbmc\update\03072006 for example then share it using right click and selecting "share this folder") then we can begin

first of all turn on your xbox and boot in to XBMC (this has the best file transfer protocall I've seen to date) once done press A on "MY FILES" at the bottom of the screen.
    ok now we need to make a UNIQUE temp folder, I always use "tteemmpp" so I remember to remove it later, to do this first select E: (or F: if accessable) then press the white button and highlight "New Folder" once made select that folder and press A to go in to that folder, now make two more folders here called XBMC and XBMCbackup, once made press A on XBMC, next press right on the directional pad to get to the right side of the screen, navigate to "WORKGROUP (SMB) Network" and press A to access your loacal network, select your network name using A and then press A on your computers name, now you can select the folder you shared where XBMC is located, high light this folder using the Y button.

ok, now thats done, on the left side make sure it's in e:\tteemmpp\XBMC\ and on the right side press the white button and select "Copy" this will copy XBMC from your computer to the Xbox hard drive's "e:\tteemmpp\XBMC.

{Navigation tip in UnleashX - use L and R triggers to go from left to right}

once done you need to run UnleashX and use the file explorer to delete the old XBMC or copy it to to the back up folder you made earlier
    in the left side navigate to e:\tteemmpp\XBMCbackup and on the right navigate to e:\Apps while here highlight XBMC and copy it to the lft side by pressing white and selecting "Move..." (for back up reasons), once done select the left side of the screen and go in to XBMC where there should be a folder with XBMC for a name (to check its the right one press A and look for a file called "Default.xbe"),once sure this is the right folder press white again (nearly done now) select "Copy..." and wait for it to finish.

now your update is done ^_^ all you need to do is remove the old settings folder on e:
    the location is e:\UDATA\0face008
    WARNING! DO NOT DELETE ANYTHING ELSE HERE!!!
    ok now your in E:\UDATA highlight 0face008 and press the white button then select "Delete...", we done, reboot Xbox and load up XBMC to current version ^_^

This reads real long but when you do it it takes about 20 mins max (thats with interuptions from mates/family ect)

Any questions?

I have been asked I.R.L. "what if you dont have UnleashX?" simple, your bound to have DVD2Xbox so use that insted to browse and such insted of UnleashX

Last edited: Aug 21, 2006
  2. theridges

theridges Guest

Nice tutorial,but i prefer Downloading the new version and updating manually....i will try this though.

3. error55o

error55o Regular member

Thanks, this is how I put the updates on my xbox and my mates ^_^

I will admit to burning a small 600mb movie (in avi format to act like a pad) along with a folder that has the latest XBMC, made using XISO format from C-Box tools and then with nero at 4 speed to a DVD-R ^_^

4. thekingo7

thekingo7 Regular member

This is a good guide, I think it should be stickied, buit after it has been proofread.
    I will make a request to the mods.

5. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Stickied :)

6. theridges

theridges Guest

thats cool...

7. thekingo7

thekingo7 Regular member

Thanx Neph.

8. error55o

error55o Regular member

WoW! ^_^ thats fantastic ^_^ I'm stickied! ^_^

Thanks All (you know who you are)

9. thekingo7

thekingo7 Regular member

Arent you proud, and only a Jr. Member.
    Me'n Neph are gun nut pimps.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2006
  10. error55o

error55o Regular member

Damned right I'm proud ^_^ never thought I'd get a posting stickied ^_^
    And here it is ^_^

11. nostic

nostic Member

Found a nice site that is hosting XBMC...don't know for how long since I don't think it's 100% legal to host it...anyways

Futtle.com

12. theridges

theridges Guest

yea its legel to host it anywhere because its homebrew :)

13. error55o

error55o Regular member

14. error55o

error55o Regular member

oh, by the way, XBMX IS NOT LEGAL WHEN COMPILED!

so by reading this you accept all responsability for the use of any link to XBMC and you do so of your own free will.

Also, help from the techies in the IRC channel will only be given to versions from the FTP and not for any downloded from any sites.

(words from the XBMC team themself's)

[02:34:53] ::: Joined: (#xbmc)
    [02:34:53] ::: Topic: (RTFM: http://xboxmediacenter.com/wiki | /NOTICE TeknoJuce tellme HELP | No Download / Mod Q's | Latest: XBMC 2.0.1)
    [02:34:53] ::: Set by: (TeknoJuce!TeknoJuce@CPE00045ad29352-CM000a739c1bb2.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com) on (Wed Nov 15 01:18:56 2006)
    [02:34:58] ::: Modes in (#xbmc): +sptn
    [02:34:58] ::: Channel created on (Tuesday December 31 02:42:15 2002)
    [02:37:36] [^eRrOR^]: quetion for you, is XBMC legal to download from a website that hosts it?
    [02:38:58] ~ [mm140]: http://erxz.com/pb/83
    [02:39:55] ::: Quit: (Icysun) (~okanagan@S0106000393e017af.ok.shawcable.net) (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
    [02:39:56] ::: Join: (Icysun) (~okanagan@S0106000393e017af.ok.shawcable.net)
    [02:40:39] [^eRrOR^]: thats not what i am asking, I'm asking if it is legal to get XBMC from a place other than the FTP host
    [02:40:53] ~ [Qiqs]: afaik it's not legal to get xbmc at all
    [02:41:18] ~ [Aasum]: it isnt
    [02:41:21] ~ [Aasum]: source is fine
    [02:41:32] ~ [Aasum]: compiled shit using the xdk is illegal :p
    [02:41:38] [^eRrOR^]: so it's not legal ^_^ thanks for answering my question ^_^
    [02:41:49] ~ [+AlTheKill]: We'll just tell you to fusk yourself if you ask for support on a non-t3ch build.
    [02:42:07] ~ [Qiqs]: Why, what's different in other builds?
    [02:42:25] ~ [+AlTheKill]: We don't support them
    [02:42:26] ~ [+AlTheKill]: ,
    [02:42:33] ~ [+AlTheKill]: End od story.
    [02:42:37] ~ [+AlTheKill]: *of

Last edited: Nov 15, 2006
  15. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

error55o,

Your sig's too big champ. Specs are in thew forum rules (link in my sig).

Hidey ho kingo :)

16. nostic

nostic Member

Just so you all know, Futtle.com does get the files from the FTP site and they are unedited so they would be supported by the XBMC team...you are correct though that it is illegal to download the compiled version no matter where you get it.

17. error55o

error55o Regular member

hi, here's a good place for the non-irc peeps out there http://217.118.215.116/

hosted by one of the mods on the irc xbmc channel so these are supported too

18. error55o

error55o Regular member

wow! over 1 year on and not a post of a single problem =)

must be a good guide =)

I still check here so if any one does have issues just post it here ^_^

19. dcxbadass

dcxbadass Member

I just FTP in, delete the old copy, ftp the new one across and restore my config files from my PC.

20. error55o

error55o Regular member

but that way does not reset the settings, my method does