1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharing files with another computer on the network

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by sakka44, Jul 29, 2006.

1. sakka44

sakka44 Member

I have two computers in the house, one host computer connected to a linksys wireless router, and a laptop connected to the wireless network. I would like to transfer some large files (files that are too large to fit on one CD) and I don't have a DVD burner. Can somebody tell me how I can transfer files from one PC to another?

2. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

You need to set up the network setup wizard on both computers.

Go to START/Control panel and select Network setup wizard.

[​IMG]

Then hit the Next button, from there you will be prompt to another scrren and just hit the Next button again.

Next you will see a screen like this,

[​IMG]

Just leave the settings as they are and select Next.

From here your going to name your PC what ever you want and hit the Next button.

[​IMG]

Now this is important as you need to assign a workgroup name, this needs to be the same on both PC's or they won't talk to each other.

[​IMG]

The next page will give you the option to share the printer and files and turn off printer and file sharing, of course your going to share so select that option and hit the....you guessed it, Next button. (sorry I don't have an image of this but im sure you can figure this out :)

On the next page you will see an overview of what you have done and it will look like this.

[​IMG]

Once you hit the Next button you will see the computer making the connection or setting up the connection. Once this is complete just selesct the finish wizard as seen here.

[​IMG]

And now you are all finished. Restart your PC and do the same thing on the other PC to start sharing.

To connect to the other PC your going to have to either type in the name or type in the physical address of the pc starting with \\

[​IMG]

Example: \\geestar20 or \\192.168.1.100 <---(this may not be accurate to your PC as im justing giving a common address)

From there you should see your other PC's sharing folder.

Good luck and feel free to ask any questions.

3. Darkhadou

Darkhadou Regular member

I've tried that way too many times and it doesn't work for me :'(
    Main PC- XP Pro SP2
    Laptop- XP Home SP2

I've turned simple file sharing off on the PC and also set shares on the sharing and security options yet on the laptop I always get a permission denied error- why?
    I managed to get it working before but then this PCs HDD crashed that's why I have to set it up again but it wont do :(

4. thecraigc

thecraigc Regular member

i just did this to my main comp. only at the second last pic i chose the disk thing then ran it on my other comp, so i just go to network places then the comp i want to get something from.

5. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

@-Darkhadou-

Did you set the Networkgroup name the same? They have to be the same on both PC and Notebook to be able to share.

Also try to see if you Firewall is preventing your Shared network from accessing eachother.

6. Darkhadou

Darkhadou Regular member

Yep exact same name and as for the firewall I've turned it off just to see if it would work but still no luck :\
    edit--
    BTW I can access the Laptop's shared files via the PC but not the other way around, and I really need it to work the other way around instead.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2006
  7. thecraigc

thecraigc Regular member

try going 2 ur router settings and turning off that firewall, worked for me ( on azureus )

8. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

try typing in the ip address of the computer your trying to access.

Example: \\192.168.1.1 and also see if you are sharing on the network.

[​IMG]

9. Darkhadou

Darkhadou Regular member

Thanx a buttload both of you :D, I disabled the router's firewall and done a few tweaks with the sharing permission and now it's working ..*cries*I'm so happy!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2006
  10. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

good job -Darkhadou- and thanks for the assist -thecraigc-

11. thecraigc

thecraigc Regular member

yay! glad i could be of service, for a change, instead of just, well doing whatever i do on AD.