1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Optorite DVD Burner

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by Paladin36, Jun 10, 2003.

1. Paladin36

Paladin36 Member

A local vendor just received the NEW "Optorite DD0203" DVD burner, it burns in the +/- format along with everything else. Almost the same as the Sony models. Does anybody own one yet? How is it? The price locally is only $219.00 on line as low as $199.00 much more reasonable then all the others out there. Check out the link
    http://www.optorite.com/newproducts.htm
    Thanks

2. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

I tend to view that you get what you pay for. I would rather go with a well established Pioneer tht a drive made by a small company set up at the end of 2001. The rpice ans spec is good, but where's the catch? Will it last or go faulty soon? Will it even burn as it states? If someone buys this drive, give us all a bit of feadback on it.

3. cheib

cheib Member

Hey guys, I bought this drive about a month ago and have been using it to backup my dvd collection and it works great but unfortunately the only burning software that it works with is RecordNow Max 4.5 and the software that came with it BHA Gold 5 so for the price it was a good deal I just wish it was a bit more diverse in the software.

4. Paladin36

Paladin36 Member

does that mean that I want be able to use like Ulead DVD Movie factory od DVD Xcopy for example?

Thanks.

5. cheib

cheib Member

i am not sure about the Ulead program but I know that my dvd x copy xpress does not work with the burner.

6. lmadern

lmadern Member

I have this drive as well and it works fine with Nero and Record Now Max 4.5. The only thing that I have a problem with is that the 4x Princos that I have only burn at 2x. But other than that the drive is great.

7. BradLad

BradLad Guest

Same here. won`t write 4x to DVD-R But OK with DVD+R tried 6 makes of media.
    Also HD-BURN only worked with FWS CDR tried 8 makes of media.
    Changed the drive still same problem.
    Updated the first drive with firmware 2.09 the new drive as 2.06.

8. cheib

cheib Member

I have had the same problem with 4X princo's but the fuji dvd-r's I can burn at 4X. I do have one question does anyone have any luck using HD BURN, I cannot get more than 700mb on 1 CD and the Drive advertises double the capacity of a standard cd-r, what brands have you had success on? I have been using Kyphermedia and E3 brands and neither are compatible apparently.

9. BradLad

BradLad Guest

I use nero FOR HD-BURN. Make sure you sellect the HD-BURN tab when starting A new compilation.
    Only FWS CDR worked for me.

10. BradLad

BradLad Guest

You can use BHA Gold 5 for HD-BURN but you have update it to 5.32

11. Nights

Nights Member

Hi,

I have purchased an optorite dvd burner DD0203 which is actually a rebadged sanyo so no need to worry about small manufacturers and quality issue as ive been using sanyo cd burners for ages and never had any issues. As far as this drive it work fine with the latest nero only ive hadone lead out error out of 8 burns. Easy cd creator also works fine as does alcohol 120%. Media wise ive used infiniti 2.4speed dvd+r and its fine , stay away from ONE dvd+rw as this caused a system crash 3 times with nero. Pleae let me know what works best with this drive ie burning software. I use dvd shrink to rip as i find it excellent quality and generally get the full dvd on one disc including menus etc. Thanks

Nights.

12. BradLad

BradLad Guest

[bold]I have had 2 replies from OptoRite Tech support.

1st Reply. [/bold]The problem you described appears to be related to the brand/type of media you are using. You might want to use some of the major brands such as Memorex, Fujifilm, or TDK.

There is a list of recommended media to use with the DD0203 drive, which you can find at http://www.optorite.com/dd0203.htm. Please be advised that this list is not exclusive, as there are other types of media that will work with the DD0203 drive. Also, this list is not updated with each firmware release.

Please verify that the part # of the media you are using matches the part # on our media compatibility list to ensure it is the same media as that which was tested and verified by our engineers.

Also, if you haven't already done so, you should update your drive to the latest firmware version (2.09). These updates can be found at http://www.optorite.com/firmware.htm.

[bold]I asked if they were going to fix the problems with new firmware.

2nd Reply. [/bold]Future firmware updates will add support for more brands of media, specifically DVD-R media. The HD-BURN function will also be improved, however it does require high-quality media, so many types of low-grade CD-R media will not work with HD-BURN.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2003
  13. lmadern

lmadern Member

Update:
    I recently found out that I can burn at 4x on Ritek G04 -R's using DVDdecrypter to burn an image to the blank. I still can't burn at 4x using Nero or Record Now Max.

Anyone else find any media/software combos that will burn at 4x with this drive?

14. bdennis

bdennis Guest

I also have an optorite DD0203 and it was workiing. I upgraded to the new firmware and now no matter what program I use or what media I get an error message.

{Failed to set divice writing paramaters
    Error: DVDR-INC-SPTI-55-02-05-26-00}

(93006:1:0)

If anyone can help me with this message as to what cure I can take please do so._X_X_X_X_X_[small]So much to learn and only one lifetime.[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2003
  15. elmoksu

elmoksu Member

Hey, searched for help on google, and happen to find this forum thread :eek:)

I too am having the same 4x DVD-R problem with the DD0203. I use PioData 4x DVD-R media, but will try another brand when I run out and post my results. Has anyone got it to burn at 4x (DVD-R)with Nero 5.5 or 6.0 Ultra? I've tried both... Anyone have luck using B's that came with the burner?

As for the HD-Burn I tried it once (used firmware v2.09) and it worked fine on Verbatim 24x discs using nero enterprise 5.5 with the newest update. I was able to view the files only in the DD0203, but that was expected since HDBURN is relatively new technology by Sanyo.

Just tried firmware v2.11 and still no 4x luck. Please someone tell me where to buy cheap working 4x DVD-R discs that work and i'll use any burning software that's needed (although I love Nero).

16. elmoksu

elmoksu Member

hey, bdennis,

I think this is a good troubleshoot/solution:

I'd first completely uninstall all the burning programs I had. Then I'd install something really dependable like Nero BurningRom 5.5 and be sure to update it from Nero's website. You can also download a nifty tool like Nero infotool to view the drives info.

Then, try using the drive info tool and see if all the features of the drive show up or if the drive is even recognizeable. Does the firmware version show up correctly using nero drive info, etc?

Does it play DVD's? Does windows recognize it ok?

If any or none of the above was working, I'd think that the firmware flash encountered an error. In which case, hopefully you can reflash it with the new 2.11 update again. If not, try the old 2.09 version.

I have versions 2.07, 2.09, and 2.11 if you can't find them, reply back with an email.

If all of the above work after reflashing, but still won't burn, I'd say it was a bad drive especially if I was able to reflash it.

Also, if when reflashing, the drive isn't recognized, I'd say you're SOL, but you might try calling tech support anywho.

17. elmoksu

elmoksu Member

http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Art...ne=Optorite+DD0203+DVD%B1RW&Series=0&index=11

Read through the test results for the DD0203. They used verbatim 4x media and it worked with Nero... I'm going to buy verbatim I guess.

Hope this helps someone out too.

I've pasted this from the article:

Disc Label Disc Information Writing Speed
    TDK 4x DVD+R RICOHJPNR01 4x
    TDK 4x DVD-R TTG01 4x
    Maxell 4x DVD+R MAXELL 001 4x
    Maxell 4x DVD-R MXLRG02 4x
    Verbatim 4x DVD+R MCC 002 4x
    Verbatim 4x DVD-R MCC01RG20 4x
    Ritek 4x DVD-R RITEKG04 4x
    FujiFilm DVD-R Taiyo Yuden 2x
    Pioneer 4x DVD-R PVCR001002 4x

Good luck to all, but I think my problem is the cheap DVD-R 4x disks I bought... Oh well, live and learn._X_X_X_X_X_[small]Elmoksu, Electrical Engineer[/small]

Last edited: Jul 30, 2003
  18. brh996

brh996 Member

I also have this drive and have not been able to burn a DVD yet. It has worked great for CDR's up to 24x burn speed (even with discs only rated at 12 and 16x).

I have easy CD Creator platinum 5.3.5.10g (this is the latest including the latest drive update) and it claims my drive is not supported. My drive shipped with firmware 2.03 and I just upgraded to 2.11 and this has not changed the situation.

Easy CD creator was the software that shipped with the drive so I can't imagine it wouldn't work with it but I haven't been able to find any help anywhere on this problem.

Has anyone had any success getting any version of DVD Xcopy to work with these drives?

I like the drag and drop files interface of Easy CD Creator for backing up my files alot - if I'm going to have to switch software to find something compatable can someone reccomend something similar for backup?

Also if DVD Xcopy will not work can someone reccomend something similar that will? I would like something that's easy to use like DVD Xcopy (i.e. just push a button and duplicate a disc) that allows backup of movies both with menus and special features (I'm told this requires two discs) AND backup of just the movie material onto a single disc.

Last but not least does anyone know if there is a utility out there that will read manufacturer and max reccomended speed info off DVDR and CDR media?

I might want to copy Xbox and PS2 games at some point as well.

Also if there's anything else reccomended software, reading, things to be aware of, etc. to get the most out of this drive please let me know.

Thanks!!!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2003
  19. Nights

Nights Member

Hey,

Ive been using easy cd 6 with no probs mainly for creating dvd's from my video camera and downloaded movies mainly divx. I also use the latest nero which i have had no problems with on any of the firmware updates. as far as backing up ur dvds try dvd shrink as i find it great. Then burn with latest nero or any other software which supports dvd writing. Hope this helps a bit.

20. brh996

brh996 Member

Kind of off the topic but when you DiVX what software and procedure are you using to de-encode and re-encode?

I wish they'd make a stand alone dvd player that supported that. I saw some cheapo brand at best buy ($50) and it supported mp3, and windows media if you can believe that.