AfterDawn Forums

Modifying aspect ratio

This discussion thread has 5 messages.

I have a film which I downloaded that seems to have originally been 4:3 ratio and seems to have now 16:9 ratio.

So the images look squeezed between up and down, not between left and right as it should be if it was anamorphized.

What aspect ratio should I use to get things back to normal?
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 08 Aug 2006 @ 7:43
▼▼ This topic has 4 answers - they are below this advertisement ▼▼
AfterDawn Advertisement
If you could post a screenshot of what you're talking about, a picture IS worth a thousand words ;-) also open it in PPro if you have this and use the Get Properties for feature and display those or maybe open it with ImTOO mpeg encoder..it also had a nice feature for displaying the video's true properites like exact framesize, aspect ratio, etc.
I don't know how to post a picture here for you to see. But it looks as if a 4:3 frame had been crushed from above and below onto a 16:9 frame. Get it?

I don't use Premiere or ImTOO, but on GSpot it shows it is a 640x368 (1.74:1) feature. What other info do you need?
Quote:
By SeeMoreDigital 15th April 2006, 16:06
An MPEG-4 encode with a resolution of 640x368, offers a square pixel aspect ratio of 1.74:1. Like-wise an MPEG-4 encode with a resolution of 640x340, offers a square pixel aspect ratio of 1.88:1... Neither of which are close to the 1.77:1 source!

If you want to view your 640x368 encode at 1.77:1 you will need to add some "aspect ratio signalling" (ARS) to the MPEG-4 bit-stream!

In this particular instance you could simply "drag-and-drop" your 640x368 encode into MPEG4 Modifier" and select its 16:9 DAR option... and save the new encode ;)

Provided you have a suitable MPEG-4 direct-show decoder filter (which offers ARS detection) installed, your software player will be able to display the new encode at 1.77:1.... The same goes if you have a suitably equipped stand-alone player!
a 1.74:1 is a 16:9 enhanced ratio for Computer Screens(which have square pixels).
Re-encode with the correct ratio of 1.77:1.

Use AutoGK, GordenKnot, or CCE w avisyth. Set for DAR 16:9

Best I can do without actually "seeing" the problem.
Jam on.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 09 Aug 2006 @ 17:43
Thanks. I ended up using TMPGEnc 3.0 Xpress, which allowed me doing the correction.

The exact ratio had to be determined by trial and error, finding the best natural proportions.
This discussion thread has been automatically closed, as it hasn't received any new posts during the last 180 days. This means that you can't post replies or new questions to this discussion thread.

If you have something to add to this topic, use this page to post your question or comments to a new discussion thread.