1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official Cooling Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by mastaprk, Apr 17, 2004.

1. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

It doesn't overclock at great. Sometimes it doesn't stay stable at clock settings. I think there is something wrong with it.

2. im1992

im1992 Regular member

rma it!
    and tell me how it works out
    i am curious how intel rmas' work out
    i have heard they give you a brand new boxed cpu! so good luck
    -im1992

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Results of the Enzotech CNB-R1 Northbridge cooler. First let me say that the temp for the NB is exactly the same as the stock heatsink with the same 6.5 CFM fan. Some might say that's a bummer! Well it's not, as if you look closer, it's lowered and stabilized the core temperatures because it pulls so much heat out of the motherboard and away from the CPU socket. The cores also stay more even in temperature and are much more steady.

Where it really shines is when you load it down. Running Prime95, the CPU hits a max of 50C, vs the 55-56C I had before. Encoding with DVDRB/CCE is mid 40Cs compared to 45-47C. The CPU temp is actually up about 2C, but doesn't get as high as before. Running Orthos (both Cores) sees temps about 4-5C lower than before and never go over 55C!

Pretty simple to install, but make sure you get the fan mount oriented right before you push the push pins into the MB as it can go two ways, with either the flat side of the mount even with the CPU Cooler or turned 45 degrees with the corner pointing at the cooler. I completely assembled everything and checked to be sure that the corner of the fan wasn't pointing at the cooler, otherwise it woulsn't have fit and it would have been a bear to take out again. The stock GigaByte NB cooler does a good job with the fan installed, but this one removes far more heat tfom the MB. Terrific cooler. I also comes with 2 screws for a 10mm wide fan and 2 for a 20mm wide one. It also comes with a 2.5 gram of Arctic Silver Ceramique thermal compound. Not bad for $16.50!

http://www.enzotechnology.com/cnb_r1.htm

I'm going to order one for Oxy-Moron! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: May 5, 2008
  4. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

How much did you pay for it? My heatsink keeps the same temp(around 45) even when under load, and that's without a fan.

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    I sure hope you don't drive a car! ROFLMAO!! :) Read the very last sentence of my post! LOL!! I don't see as to how yours could be the same temp as even with the room at 29C, the MB temp is only 42C tops! Those others are the CPU temps! LOL!! What MB are you running this week?

Best Regards,
    Russ

6. im1992

im1992 Regular member

@russ
    is your e6750 lapped

7. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

my mobo rarely gets over 33C. no fans no alterations.

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    No, I don't see the point, as near as I can see it's just about the right finish to get a good bond and I'll be RMAing it in a couple of months and I want the warranty. The Arctic Freezer 7 Pro is laped to a slight haze. You can see your reflection, but it's not real shiny shiny. CPU temps are not an issue. 55C in a warm room compared to 59-60 or so running OCCT or Orthos. The NB ran at 47C without the fan. The P35 chipset does get hotter than the 965P did. I'm pleased with the overall results. The cores run about 1-3C difference unless you are running something that's only using one core, then one gets hotter than the other.

Mort81,
    The 965P was like that with much lower temps and I still put a fan on it. Doesn't hurt and the Antek is very quiet at 2000 RPM. I turned the 80mm Silverstone around, got some longer screws and let it blow in instead of out and now it's idling 5C above ambient temperature at 29C. I kicked up the rear fan to 1400 rpm to maintain negative air pressure and turned the side down to minimum which gives me a 60/40 balance between the out and the in and still have decent airflow thru the static air vents! I'll try it like this for a few days and see how it works.

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: May 6, 2008
  9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's a Rampage formula though Mort, and as such comes with a huge heatsink.

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Further to the post made in the overclocking thread about 14cm fans, using a 14-12cm adapter isn't really worth it IMO, you may as well just have a 120mm fan - fans aren't usually anywhere near high enough in pressure to force the missing airflow down the gaps anyway.

11. im1992

im1992 Regular member

ok 120mm fans it is
    so the adapter will be useless since the air will not be able to pass through more than the 120mm hole? correct me if i misunderstood.

is this good for a 80mm fan?
    Fan Size 80mm
    RPM 2000 ±10% RPM
    Air Flow 25.64 CFM
    Noise Level 22.05 dBA
    -thanks

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yes, that's the idea - think of it like attaching a fan via a funnel to a thin hose - unless the fan is high pressure, you're not going to get very much air coming out the end of that hose.

The specs you posted for that 80mm fan are nonsense - something you have to get used to with fans is manufacturers lie about the noise a lot - 2000rpm isn't going to be 20dB. If you want a decent 80mm fan that's quiet, get the Nexus Realsilent. If you want one that's powerful, get something like an Antec Tricool.

13. im1992

im1992 Regular member

Hey guys, i just picked up a Zalman CNPS9700led from Fry's for $20!!!
    thats hecka cheap for that cooler!

14. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

that is a very good price and good hsf too. top of the line zalman.

15. im1992

im1992 Regular member

thanks, everyone here should get it!
    it also comes with the special Zalman Thermal Paste in a bottle: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118010

16. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

nice find, i have one, they're £35 over here

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Under normal circumstances given the noise level required to cool as well as the other top end heatsinks and the prohibitive price I don't recommend the 9700s, but for that sort of money, go nuts!

18. im1992

im1992 Regular member

What happened was I wanted to buy the special zalman thermal paste: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118010
    So I go to Fry's and see the price is $10 (still cheaper than newegg with shipping) but then I see the CNPS9700 for $20 which includes this thermal paste with it so basically I got the cooler for $10 cause if the cooler weren't on sale, I would have bought the thermal paste anyways.
    -im1992

19. im1992

im1992 Regular member

Is that $70 if converted to US currency? Thats a crap load of money but then again, Fry's regular price sticker also has $69.99 on it.
    -im1992

20. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

yeah, i've always converted the UK pound to approximately half the US dollar, it's not exact but close enough for me; over here we still have people who are stupid enough to hacksaw copper (gas mains) pipes off the side of houses (whilst smoking a cigarette no doubt) due to the scrap price of copper, lead etc etc, so i guess even at £35 these coolers are cheap :)

Last edited: May 17, 2008