1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brand: PC Line

Discussion in 'CD-R(W) Media' started by cd-rw.org, Jun 10, 2002.

1. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

Cheapo bulk stuff, sold in spindles by the nordic Gigantti (Giganten) chain.

ATIP: 97m 26s 66f
    Disc Manufacturer: CMC Magnetics Corp.
    Reflective layer: Dye (Short strategy; e.g. Phthalocyanine)
    Media type: CD-Recordable
    Recording Speeds: min. unknown - max. unknown
    nominal Capacity: 702.83MB (79m 59s 74f / LBA: 359849

2. kieofwoo

kieofwoo Guest

Got a spindle of these from PC World (UK) for cheap (80min x24).
    They seem to handle data ok but won't play audio back properly on an audio CD player

ATIP: 97m 26s 66f
    Disc Manufacturer: CMC Magnetics Corp.
    Reflective layer: Dye (Short strategy; e.g. Phthalocyanine)
    Media type: CD-Recordable
    Recording Speeds: min. unknown - max. unknown
    nominal Capacity: 702.83MB (79m 59s 74f / LBA: 359849)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2002
  3. behrali

behrali Member

Had nothing but problems with PC Line brand. Way to cheap.
    High number (30%-60%) of disks with production faults across multiple spindles, including:
    - surface abrasions (identical location over multiple disks - probably caused by machine handling or die/former fault)
    - substrate blemishes (ripples & bubbles in plastic)
    - missing media layer (gaps & holes)

4. chunkin

chunkin Guest

Had same probs. Burned some CD's with the PC Line discs sold by PC World and Dixons. 5 mins after I took them out of the CD-writer, the top layer started to peel off! Tried with other discs, had absolutely no probs at all.

The dye used in the production of the PC Line CD-R's is not sufficiently reflective to allow the CD's to be read in a standard audio player/CD player. The laser in a PC CD-drive may read it, however, because the laser is more sensitive and stronger. If you want to make good audio CD's, use high quality branded CD-R's. This should be ok most of the time. Or for complete compatibility with all CD players and music systems, old and new, use CD-Rs specifically designed for Audio use.

Cheap discs = cheap quality.

5. artagel

artagel Member

Hey, now wait a second here...

If these disks were manufactured by CMC, why are they SO bad? I have a set of somewhat old CMC Maxells (Ok, VERY old, circa '98, most likely) that still burn and play in normal cd players (I think). I've definitely not had any top peeling off issues or media defects... This seems to contradict the 'Manufacturer predicts quality' mantra... Has CMC gone down hill that far?

-Artagel

6. kieofwoo

kieofwoo Guest

as far as I know CMC has been making the cheaper CD-R's for sometime now.

They may have made decent media originally.... but no more

7. jeffjeff

jeffjeff Member

Out of 100 of these CDs, 18 are of poor quality with all of the aforementioned symptoms. A further 7 are completely knackered and even covered in fingerprints (not mine) in the middle of a spindle!
    Not experienced many problems with playback on normal audio equipment though... YET.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2004
  8. EsirnuS

EsirnuS Guest

well hold on a minute

I have found PC Line CDr's very useful indeed!

well ok i only use them to make audio cd's for the car that last about a month before they get trashed anyway and i have a nice collection of drinks mats! never without a place to put down my cup of tea

they play back fine in all my audio players but dont last long when i throw them around the car like i do when at work

they are basically a "get what you pay for" disc
    pay peanuts - get monkey made discs

I always have a stash of these crap discs around for small jobs/tasks that i dont wanna waste a decent CDr on

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2004